Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: John singing "shoot me" over & over  (Read 10619 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: John singing "shoot me" over & over
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 12:45:03 AM »

Quote from: 568
I know what you mean.

Also, I noticed recently how prophetic-sounding that line from "Good Morning, Good Morning" is:

"Nothing to do to save his life, call his wife in".

THAT is scary.

Quote from: 185

Sorry - but that's silly. John wrote how many hundreds of songs? and that one line is a premonition? He's bound to touch on a gloomy subject everynow and then. In a song that is about urban isolation? This is all something about nothing.

Hi Kevin - I know what you're saying, and of course there's no ESP involved here (is there?), but to me the line stands out like something in that movie The Shining. Like so many of John's lyrics, I always just sort of sang along with that one never really thinking about the meaning (kind of like "... Everywhere I go I hear it said ...  in the good and the bad books I have read" - what heck does that mean?), then recently it just sort of jumped out at me. It's exactly what would be said in an emergency room when there was nothing left to do. Probably just what the docs said that night in December.

You gotta admit, it is a weird line!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 08:45:13 AM »

Quote from: 568

Hi Kevin - I know what you're saying, and of course there's no ESP involved here (is there?), but to me the line stands out like something in that movie The Shining. Like so many of John's lyrics, I always just sort of sang along with that one never really thinking about the meaning (kind of like "... Everywhere I go I hear it said ...  in the good and the bad books I have read" - what heck does that mean?), then recently it just sort of jumped out at me. It's exactly what would be said in an emergency room when there was nothing left to do. Probably just what the docs said that night in December.

You gotta admit, it is a weird line!

It's not a weird line at all. As you just said, it's what a doctor would say. The fact that he was shot 13 years later has no bearing.

And I still can't hear it Mr. M. I've listened again and tried very hard, but I can't hear it. If you're listening on CD can you give me the time of when he says it so I can here what you're hearing?

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 10:59:16 AM »

john knew he would die eventually. he already knew that in 1969. the rest is nonsense. i hear something like shooo. could even be sh*t.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 03:34:25 PM »

Never mind bout this, Happiness is a Warm Gun gives me the
chills at times as well! :-/

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

BlueMeanie

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 03:52:27 PM »

Quote from: 748
jcould even be sh*t.

Pig sh*t?

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 06:16:06 PM »

Revolution 9 gives me chills ;D

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 08:39:09 PM »

It's "Shoot me." The reverb on his hand-claps completely covers up the "me" on the official version, but listen closely to Anthology 3.

Let's not forget he was on heroin in 1969. "Shoot" means many things.
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 11:54:09 PM »

Quote from: 911
It's "Shoot me." The reverb on his hand-claps completely covers up the "me" on the official version, but listen closely to Anthology 3.

Let's not forget he was on heroin in 1969. "Shoot" means many things.

Yes Chris, that's been my contention all along...and the herion reference is an extremely good point. "Shooting-up" or "shoot me to death" is ironically prophetic nonetheless.
(the post-attribution of the phrase isnt so strange after all, since, like you said, this is 1969 we're talking about...spooky.)

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 04:31:14 PM »

Indeed; I always thought that was weird, as well. Perhaps if Yoko had screeched "shoot me" during the Toronto concert....nah, that's just mean.

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2007, 04:11:05 PM »

Quote from: 911
Indeed; I always thought that was weird, as well. Perhaps if Yoko had screeched "shoot me" during the Toronto concert....nah, that's just mean.

..or..if Lennon were still alive he would've done an update of "Crippled Inside", calling the new piece "Crippled B*tch" for H. Mills
..nah, that's "just mean" too

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »

I asked my girlfriend (who isn't into the band at all) what she heard,  she said "shot." (not shoot.) Close enough, but it was a flawed experiment, because as she admitted she knew because I asked that she was supposed to hear something, and without that prompt might well have just heard a noise.
don't follow leaders

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 01:05:10 AM »

I honestly think he was just singing a random noise and he liked the way shoot or shoop sounded. I don't think it was written into the lyrics, but that's my opinion. I just think he liked the sound of it.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 01:11:58 AM »

Quote from: 216
I honestly think he was just singing a random noise and he liked the way shoot or shoop sounded. I don't think it was written into the lyrics, but that's my opinion. I just think he liked the sound of it.

Well, on the version on Anthology 3, he does sing 'shoot'. Not 'Shoot me'. But I can't hear it on Abbey Road. And I must have tried seven or eight times since this thread started! I think once you think you've heard it, you can't hear anything else.

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2007, 05:43:13 PM »

You can't hear it on Anthology 3? It's pretty clear. In fact, I'm pretty sure that was why I realized after all those years that he'd been saying "Shoot me."

Silly thing to argue about, I guess.

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 05:44:45 PM »

One DOES have to have a good ear and an excellent set of earphones to hear "Shoot me", but it IS there. John understates the "me". I'm sure the isolated vocal track would be the ultimate proof. I can't say I heard it in the years immediately following its release. I heard "shoo" or maybe "shoop", but that was on vinyl. If you have it on CD and can play it on a standard CD player (not on iPod thru earbuds). fiddle with the stereo separation and treble/bass. You'll hear it.

Yes, John did seem to have a premonition of his death by murder, according to several biographies. This may have turned into a preoccupation. The three Beatle/Lennon solo tracks that stand out are: "Come Together"; "Happiness Is A Warm Gun"; and "Whatever Gets You Through the Night" ("Don't need a gun to blow your mind").

But - and this is the most amazing part - if you go through Lennon's entire work, there are dozens of examples of references to words such as, "die", "dead", "death", "suicide", "kill", "gun", and so forth. John did have a morbid sense of humor, no doubt. I'm no psychologist, but I do believe lyricists have a way of revealing themselves, and John had more opportunities than most.

John also had (though not as much as George) associations with "spiritualists" with strong Buddhist/Hindu philosophies. Many of them might be labeled "mystics". Some of these mystics believe that a soul enters a new life already subconsciously knowing its ultimate fate. I'm not suggesting you believe as they do, but could John have come to know his own fate as a result of these associations? John has been quoted as saying that some of his intuition about his future had been confirmed through meditation, though he didn't mention any death premonition.

And if a "psychic" did predict his death, would Lennon have believed it or dismissed it? Read Larry Kane's book about the 64 US tour to find out the reaction to Jeane Dixon's prediction that the band would die in a plane crash. John took it seriously. George went so far as to call Jeane Dixon for confirmation. Later, John would say he was obsessed with Buddy Holly's death at the time.

And so, Beatle People, I offer all the above FYI. Does it prove anything? Nope. But is IS interesting.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 12:26:24 AM »

And so, Beatle People, I offer all the above FYI. Does it prove anything? Nope. But is IS interesting.
I totally agree with you about it all being interesting! I personally believe that with all the references of lyrics, not only from Come Together, it's a little more then a coincidence to me because of the fact he was murdered. I know it's silly of me to think that, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets a little creeped out when thinking about it all  roll:)

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 03:58:04 AM »

I totally agree with you about it all being interesting! I personally believe that with all the references of lyrics, not only from Come Together, it's a little more then a coincidence to me because of the fact he was murdered. I know it's silly of me to think that, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets a little creeped out when thinking about it all  roll:)

Absolutely, Jema. It IS creepy. Can't say I agree with all those conspiracy theorists who think the CIA/FBI killed John or the Satanists who claim the John conjured up the devil in Chapman by repeating "Shoot me". And his "preoccupation" with death could be explained by the loss of Julia, Stu, etc. Still, the morbid word choices in his lyrics are strange.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 11:43:32 AM »

The "me" in "shoot me" got buried by Pauls bass notes on vinyl. Until the remasters you really couldn't hear the whole thing. He also repeatedly moans "cuuuuum" on the fadeout behind and bettween the "come together line". You can hear both fairly well on the Cirque CD.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 80 queries.