Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Blmeanie's wife  (Read 770 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Blmeanie's wife
« on: September 28, 2023, 11:12:47 AM »

in April my wife, on our 30th anniversary day had a seizure.  Obviously the call to the hospital she had been taken to is one you never want to get.  After a couple of days of tests we were told she has a brain tumor and a biopsy was scheduled. 

From an MRI and the biopsy the neurologist (at that hospital) described it as inoperable. He did refer us to an neuro-oncologist that turned out to be terrific and incredibly well thought of in the field and at our hospital closer to home.

After meeting her and more tests and another MRI she gave us different news, that she had on her team a great surgeon that she would like to go in and relieve some of the pressure.  The tumor was taking up "lots of real estate" and the MRI was easy to see what she saw.

The surgeon was also highly reputable and amazing.  The surgery went very well on June 2nd.  The tumor could not all be removed as it was intertwined in and around things you could not safely go near.  Their pov was always about taking out what they could "safely".

A couple weeks later, we met to review another round of MRI and the docs were very happy.  They removed a lot of material to further study it and from early biopsy material - they knew it was a very slow growing type of cancer , technically Oligodendroglioma and told us "take the summer off, enjoy it, we'll come up with a treatment plan in Sept"

So- this month we met , another MRI, and sure enough, the tumor had no signs of growth, they were very pleased and we were referred to a radiologist next.  We met with him last week and the plan is radiology to kill active cancer cells.  Radiology on brain tumors is lower doses than other parts of the body and of course, very pin pointed through a mask that was made on Monday over my wife's face.

It will be 6 and a half weeks , 5 days a week, then chemo (pill form) after that.

For the first time we heard last week a doctor reference time, life expectancy.  The radiologist referred to data from past patients more than my wife's particulars but multiple times said she would be likely to survive decade or decades plural.

She will likely have to take an anti-seizure med for the rest of her life.

She talks often about "when she will be gone" with me and the kids - we try to shut her down immediately, lol

With anything to do with the brain, and surgery of course, there are changes.  She likes to say she doesn't have a filter anymore.  She was the nicest person I've known.  Still is but when something doesn't go her way or a kid screws up, she lets them know now, used to swallow it more.

She is doing great, it really changes how I/we look at life and everyday life.

As she starts radiation, we enter the next phase.  Nervous but trust the doctors on this team.

Sorry for the long story, once I got going, it went.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Blmeanie's wife
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 01:07:34 PM »

While you look after your wife, don't forget to look after yourself.

These things are difficult for everybody including the people caring.

I hope the treatment goes well.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 08:35:34 PM »

Best of luck to your wife for her treatment and to you and the kids BLM. Sounds like she’s got great support.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 10:31:12 PM »

Thank you for sharing, blmeanie. I will pray that all goes well with your wife's treatment. The prognosis sounds encouraging, and it sound like she is in good hands, medically speaking.

I have to second zipp's comment: Please don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 11:31:35 PM »

. . . it sound like she is in good hands, medically speaking.

And, of course, emotionally speaking, too.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 12:11:05 AM »

All the best for your wife, you and your family, mate

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 07:31:58 AM »

Prayers for you and your family BL.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 08:00:08 AM »

It sounds like your wife is in good hands, blmeanie.  Help her maintain a positive outlook through this difficult time.
I can stay till it's time to go

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2023, 10:38:28 AM »

thanks everyone

like I said, you start to view life differently.  I noticed I thought of things differently when my parents passed away (both in last 8 years). 

Now with Laura's brain tumor, things don't resonate the same.  Life is long, has been long, work work work and now as we approach retirement age, now with health issues, start to openly wonder the what and why of life. 

Enjoy as much as you can every day.  It is near impossible with all that goes on, working, all the noise in society, politics. 

Wish we could retire now and just pack up and get away from so much of it, alas, we cannot.

Thanks again for the kind words.  It helps.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2023, 10:25:23 PM »

Hope the radiation treatment goes well mate, good thoughts to you and your wife  icon_good
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 59 queries.