Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE  (Read 3943 times)

TheVintage

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
« on: May 30, 2004, 01:24:14 PM »

Hello everybody,

Across the Universe is one of the greatest songs from the Beatles as we think. We did a version of it based on acoustic guitars. Please listen to it at http://www.thevintage.de/aktuell.htm

Best Regards

The Vintage
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 01:44:32 AM »

I've decided to resurrect another long-dead thread. No defibrillator needed.  ;)

I found this article on the backstory to "Across the Universe" quite interesting. I hadn't been aware of the circumstances surrounding how and when John wrote the lyrics. Neither was I aware that this had originally been released on a charity album for the World Wildlife Fund in December 1969.

Furthermore, I had been under the impression that Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" was the first song sent into space. I don't have time for a search right now, but I'll have to look that up.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/1565402/john-lennon-the-beatles-across-the-universe-wife-cynthia-lennon

This quote jumped out at me—"The same year, in 1970, Lennon was asked in an interview what his favourite Beatles tracks were. He revealed his top five were: Strawberry Fields Forever, I Want To Hold Your Hand, I Am The Walrus, Girl and Across The Universe"—for two reasons. First, woo-hoo, "Girl!" I love that song so much.  :)  Second, I thought John hated "Strawberry Fields." Didn't he go on record more than once expressing his dissatisfaction with it and saying he'd always wanted to do it over?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 08:06:19 AM »

I've decided to resurrect another long-dead thread. No defibrillator needed.  ;)

I found this article on the backstory to "Across the Universe" quite interesting. I hadn't been aware of the circumstances surrounding how and when John wrote the lyrics. Neither was I aware that this had originally been released on a charity album for the World Wildlife Fund in December 1969.

Furthermore, I had been under the impression that Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" was the first song sent into space. I don't have time for a search right now, but I'll have to look that up.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/1565402/john-lennon-the-beatles-across-the-universe-wife-cynthia-lennon

This quote jumped out at me—"The same year, in 1970, Lennon was asked in an interview what his favourite Beatles tracks were. He revealed his top five were: Strawberry Fields Forever, I Want To Hold Your Hand, I Am The Walrus, Girl and Across The Universe"—for two reasons. First, woo-hoo, "Girl!" I love that song so much.  :)  Second, I thought John hated "Strawberry Fields." Didn't he go on record more than once expressing his dissatisfaction with it and saying he'd always wanted to do it over?

Yes he said to George Martin he'd especially redo Strawberry Fields. Hard to please. I love that recording.

He also never felt the Beatles got Across the Universe right. Which is why we have several versions. As we saw in Get Back they took another run at it and still didn't really get a handle on it, with Paul trying harmonies etc. I think the version on Let it Be is just a slowed down and fiddled with version of the WWF track which was originally recorded in early 1968.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 08:07:31 AM »

He revealed his top five were: Strawberry Fields Forever, I Want To Hold Your Hand, I Am The Walrus, Girl and Across The Universe"[/color]—for two reasons. First, woo-hoo, "Girl!" I love that song so much.  :) 

I love Girl as well. Great song.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 08:28:09 PM »

I love Girl as well. Great song.

:)  I'd often play that for my kids in the car, exclaiming "See! You don't need fancy electronics or Auto Tune to make a great song!" (and be greeted by eye rolls) and, sometimes, just to tease my older daughter, I throw out "Can One Direction do this?"

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 11:10:02 PM »

:)  I'd often play that for my kids in the car, exclaiming "See! You don't need fancy electronics or Auto Tune to make a great song!" (and be greeted by eye rolls) and, sometimes, just to tease my older daughter, I throw out "Can One Direction do this?"

That's a dangerous path to trod Kathy, insinuating to your kids that their musical heroes are somehow inferior  ha2ha
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 11:22:20 PM »

That's a dangerous path to trod Kathy, insinuating to your kids that their musical heroes are somehow inferior  ha2ha

I was pretty brutal to my older daughter, nim, always with reference to her (formerly) beloved One Direction: "Who's playing drums here? Oh, that's right—none of them play any instruments! They always use session musicians. Hm!"

And that's not to diss session musicians, of course, but it would enrage my daughter, which was the point.  ha2ha She'd always take the bait, so of course I never let up.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 07:05:42 AM »

That’s parental privilege. Our parents did it to us. We’re paying it forward.

Page created in 0.765 seconds with 49 queries.