Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Do you think Paul has earned the praises?  (Read 18962 times)

Wayne L.

Do you think Paul has earned the praises?
« on: March 09, 2005, 07:21:01 PM »

I don't think Paul has earned the praises as a solo artist & with his band Wings for over 30 years now since the breakup of the Beatles because he has recorded some of the best mainstream pop, rock & pap around with only a few sparks of greatness.   McCartney is one of the greatest singers, songwriters, musicians & performers of all time with few equals while he has released more mediocre music than great music as a solo artist & with Wings but he knows how to keep his name in the spotlight for over 40 years.  Paul hasn't lived up to his legendary status as a former Beatle as an artist which isn't being negative just stating the facts but there's no denying he is one of a kind in rock history who will never be forgotten.

Re: Do you think Paul has earned the praises?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 09:53:53 PM »

Yeah... I agree wholeheartedly with you... I've discussed on several occassions his brilliant musical abilities... It seems that only his mind could've come up with all of those masterful hits he created throughout the 70's... Band on the Run (the song, not the album) is great example of this... It's like three songs in one... Very brilliantly put together...

I can't wait to see him in concert, if the tour is really going to happen.

Because

• A Beginning
  • asian girls are hot
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 09:55:45 PM »

i think paul himself admits that his best work was with the beatles. like u said, he sporadically has great songs a la band on the run.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 10:13:30 PM »

That may be somewhat true, but it's hard to follow up with all the amazing stuff he wrote in The Beatles, don't you think?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 10:28:57 PM »

How can he possibly compete with his past? He has earned every single praise he has garnered.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 12:51:24 AM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm
How can he possibly compete with his past? He has earned every single praise he has garnered.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 12:53:16 AM »

Yeah. Let this thread die.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 01:04:31 AM »

Quote from: Wayne_L.
I don't think Paul has earned the praises as a solo artist & with his band Wings for over 30 years now since the breakup of the Beatles because he has recorded some of the best mainstream pop, rock & pap around with only a few sparks of greatness.

This doesnt even make sense!! How can he only have a few sparks of greatness if you said he recorded some of the best mainstream pop, rock & pap (whatever that is) around? Maybe the best mainstream pop, rock & pap (whatever that is) isnt great? Whatever.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 01:05:17 AM »

Quote from: tkitna

Finally a voice of reason!!!! Thank you Junior. It really is that simple. Why bring this up anymore?

Hasn't this been beaten to death on this forum?  People like to criticize all things great because somehow it makes them feel important. Look at all this man has accomplished and continues to accomplish, and feel fortunate that you are alive to experience it. So what if everything isn't a masterpiece? There is still a ton of excellent post-Beatle music he has created and continues to create. When any of you naysayers can come up with anything that has one scintilla the brilliance this man has created, then maybe post this stupid topic again. And, no, I'm not one of these 'Paul Can Do No Wrong' fans, he has released some subpar stuff but so has everyone else that has ever released an album.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 01:08:40 AM »

Quote from: Mairi
Yeah. Let this thread die.

Your right Mairi. I dont even know why I responded.

(I have to quit logging on while drinking)

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 06:46:41 PM »

It's tacit acknowledgment by Paul that his music has been pushed to the sidelines. Maybe that's the reason why recently he offered a slew of his solo songs to be used in adverts..and maybe the reason he's doing it is for the exposure. If it's going to live on in the next generation, he's got to get it to that generation somehow...

More power to him.

Good thread. Very..timely.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 06:48:20 PM »

^Moreover I think Paul seems to think his solo music is somewhat disposable. I'm sure it may be the bashing he has taken over the years about it from some fans and critics. If you look at his tours since 1989, he only really plays a handful of solo hits & whatever new album he is plugging. The rest is all Beatles. I think you could count all the post 1976 he plays tunes on 1 hand (minus the new album). Maybe this is his way of trying to get some of his solo music out there to a new audience.

Ivo

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2005, 03:13:56 AM »

He earned it all in spades...no Beatle was releasing many masterpieces after 1976 or so.

We have no idea how much better or worse John would have become musically so its kind of pointless to debate that one.

He gets praises from people who want to praise him, he has plenty of detractors too...so what's the point of all this?
I'm off like a herd of turtles.

Wayne L.

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 12:11:14 AM »

Quote from: TheDude
i think paul himself admits that his best work was with the beatles. like u said, he sporadically has great songs a la band on the run.

I agree with you 100% about Paul as a solo artist which is the way most Beatles fan should look at it instead of kissing his ass which is why what I'm saying isn't negative just factual.

andyec

• A Beginning
  • The Beatles always bring me joy.
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 04:31:16 AM »

Paul's solo stuff gets bashed all the time. Only rarely does it get praised. Usually,the praise comes when he releases a new album. Every time,some of the critics will give backhanded compliments by saying it's his best album since...
They were wrong when they said it about Driving Rain,Off the Ground,Flowers in the Dirt,Press to Play,and Pipes for Peace,but they were right when they said it about Flaming Pie and Tug of War. Hopefully,they'll be right when they say it,which they undoubtedly will,about this new one.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 01:32:37 AM »

500 Years from now, Paul McCartney will be just as much of a legend as Mozart, Bach and Beethoven. Seriously.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 01:03:29 PM »

Quote from: Biscuit_Power
500 Years from now, Paul McCartney will be just as much of a legend as Mozart, Bach and Beethoven. Seriously.

Truer words have never been spoken!

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 04:32:42 PM »

Nothing more needs to be said. Biscuit Power has summed it up for all of us.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 05:27:04 PM »

Amen.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 09:40:45 PM »

Well that is just simply nonsense. Anyone who agrees with that simply has no clue about the complexity and depth of the music written by those three, especially Bach (meaning Johann Sebastian Bach, I presume).

Paul will be known as one of the Beatles, the greatest pop and rock group of their age. The Beatles will be remembered as a cultural icon, and the creators of some clever and very original pieces, recorded in ground-breaking ways. The only pieces that have any, any chance of still being played or listened to in any way are tracks like Rain, Tomorrow Never Knows, Strawberry Fields, Walrus, Revolution 9. Yeah, yeah, I know what some of you will think and say! But honestly, they are works of genius, in a way that none of Paul's or George's (or Ringo's) songs are.

But Paul as a separate entity? Mentioned in the same breath as Bach, Mozart, Beethoven? Come on, get a hold on reality. Paul McCartney may be the author of what you think are very pleasant, hummable songs. But FIVE centuries of longevity are not built on silly love songs!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 77 queries.