Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Do you think Paul has earned the praises?  (Read 18958 times)

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
Re: Do you think Paul has earned the praises?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 10:47:57 PM »

I agree, that  Mozart, Bach and Beethoven all show extraordinary intellect and talent, which still challenges that of modern composers. But, it has to be remembered that at the time (without hindsight) the music these composers wrote was aimed at a specific audience, much like that of pop*. The audience was very much different, but it is this consistent ideology of audience engagement, which can be seen in any performer, and in any field of music.
 The Beatles music or sound may not be classed as complex but it certainly contains depth and meaning. This is obvious and, naturally celebrated. Mccartney being a critical figure in the 'four-headed monster'  can therefore be honored with such a comment.
Songs such as Yesterday, Penny Lane, Eleanor Rigby, Let it be .. etc
The above songs all show what you term genius
Oh, and the songs you have mentioned, its not like Lennon sat in a white room, cut off from all life, and wrote, played and recorded all by himself...howway, ever recorded yourself? It doesn't work like that. Mccartney input was critical to Lennon (and obviously vica-versa) so Mccartney can, like Lennon, be celebrated.

Mccartney as a seperate entity? Yes, of course!
The Beatles are the best at what they do, much like the classical comparison of Mozart, Bach and Beethoven.

* The term pop often troubles me. We all know the interpretation has changed over the decades, but using pop to front a negative view on the actual music is a modern misconception of meaning.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 11:08:10 PM »

Quotes from Indica
Oh, and the songs you have mentioned, its not like Lennon sat in a white room, cut off from all life, and wrote, played and recorded all by himself...howway, ever recorded yourself? It doesn't work like that. Mccartney input was critical to Lennon (and obviously vica-versa) so Mccartney can, like Lennon, be celebrated.

True, so true. I didn't mean to imply no-one else had any input. But the idea of the songs I quoted was John Lennon's. But without the others and George Martin, and engineers, they would not have been the works they are.

The Beatles music or sound may not be classed as complex but it certainly contains depth and meaning. This is obvious and, naturally celebrated. Mccartney being a critical figure in the 'four-headed monster'

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2005, 11:12:42 PM »

500 years is along time, I must admit after frantically typing, I sat back, and then thought about 500 actual years...slightly hypercritical on my behalf.

But Hey Jude, that has to survive..its an anthem for millions of people.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2005, 11:20:44 PM »

Interesting. I think THE song of Macca's that might (just might) be remembered is For No One. The perspective from which the singer sings is very interesting. The singer is neither the man nor the woman, but is inside each of their heads.

Some of the twists in the song are unique to a love song. For example, "... all her words of kindness linger on when she no longer needs you". Kindness? What a thing for a pining lover to remember! Her words of kindness! What sort of love and relationship did this couple have?

Virtually no-one knows (outside rabid fans) about For No One. Long may it remain that way, so it remains a superb song (OK work of genius) to be discovered and re-discovered.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2005, 11:33:36 PM »

I love for no one, one of my personal favourites.
I always thought the lines:

She says that long ago she knew someone but now he

andyec

• A Beginning
  • The Beatles always bring me joy.
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2005, 03:09:52 AM »

I never hear those guys on the radio. But,The Beatles,I hear all the time. Of course,I fall asleep when I try to listen to classical music-just not sophisticated enough,I guess. They need better lyrics.

beatleslover101

• A Beginning
  • Macca is ma man
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2005, 05:19:02 AM »

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!
yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away now it looks if though there here to stay oh i believe in yesterday...::)(smitten)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2005, 01:13:50 PM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn
Well that is just simply nonsense. Anyone who agrees with that simply has no clue about the complexity and depth of the music written by those three, especially Bach (meaning Johann Sebastian Bach, I presume).

The complexity and depth of the music are totally irrelevant! It's the impact that it had that matters. The music of The Beatles had a much bigger impact on humanity (partially because of radio and TV of course) than Bach's music ever had.

Hundreds of years from now, the Beatles will be remembered as almost mythical figures, like we remember Shakespear, Da Vinci, Bach or Rembrandt now.

And most classical might be much more complex and deeper than any piece of pop music ever made, but I think it's arrogant to think that (good) pop music is a lower art form than classical music, painting, sculpturing or poetry. Cause it simply isn't. I studied art history for several years, but no art form has ever touched me the way pop music does. To not recognize pop music as a true form of art is to me arrogant and overtly conservative.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2005, 01:22:57 PM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn
No, not genius. Just good songs.

You've gotta be kidding... If writing the best selling music ever isn't good enough to be labeled a genius, then I seriously don't know what is... You're just not making any sense here.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2005, 02:55:23 PM »

Of course The Beatles will be remembered 500 years from now. They even have Beatles History classes at the universities now