Beatles forums > Songs

Eleanor Rigby

<< < (11/11)

KEROUAC:
I do wonder if it can really be a complete coincidence about the gravestone at St Peter's Church. I mean how many other church's around Britain would you find another example of what is not I guess a common name? Thinking about it McCartney did pay a visit to his old home just a few months before the recording of Revolver when he went to see his dad which is a short hop away. His trip included the now infamous scooter accident. Is it possible he made a visit to the church?

I also remember reading perhaps in Pete Shotton's book that Lennon was really p*ssed off with Paul for asking pretty much everyone (including Mal) for help on the lyrics apart from him. He was really hurt by it.

--- Quote from: real01 on October 26, 2015, 08:10:58 AM ---Yesterday was fully written by Paul BUT that one should be credited Martin - McCartney 'cause strings were G. M.'s idea.)

--- End quote ---
That's not how songwriting credits work. Strings are an embellishment and not part of the song itself.

Moogmodule:

--- Quote from: KEROUAC on June 26, 2016, 10:27:42 PM ---I do wonder if it can really be a complete coincidence about the gravestone at St Peter's Church. I mean how many other church's around Britain would you find another example of what is not I guess a common name? Thinking about it McCartney did pay a visit to his old home just a few months before the recording of Revolver when he went to see his dad which is a short hop away. His trip included the now infamous scooter accident. Is it possible he made a visit to the church?

--- End quote ---

It doesn't seem likely to be a coincidence. Especially with what I presume was not an everyday name. If it was Elizabeth Smith or something you could write that off to coincidence. I think it's fair to assume that Paul had seen the grave at some point. He didn't have to think consciously of it when writing. Just have it lodged somewhere in his head that came out when he needed a five syllable name that sounded authentic.

Loco Mo:
I think this is Paul's greatest song. 

Bobber:  What did you mean by "This is why John wrote 'I am the Walrus'?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version