Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: your favourite side of White Album?  (Read 3138 times)

your favourite side of White Album?
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:51:20 PM »

if not so many people remembers the songs in The White Album, I will recall to you:

SIDE #1
1. "Back in the U.S.S.R."   2:43
2. "Dear Prudence"   3:56
3. "Glass Onion"   2:17
4. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"   3:08
5. "Wild Honey Pie"   0:52
6. "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill"   3:14
7. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (Harrison) 4:45
8. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"  2:43

SIDE #2
1. "Martha My Dear"   2:28
2. "I'm So Tired"   2:03
3. "Blackbird"   2:18
4. "Piggies" (Harrison) 2:04
5. "Rocky Raccoon"   3:32
6. "Don't Pass Me By" (Starkey) 3:50
7. "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?"   1:41
8. "I Will"   1:46
9. "Julia"   2:54

SIDE #3
1. "Birthday"   2:42
2. "Yer Blues"   4:01
3. "Mother Nature's Son"   2:48
4. "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey"   2:24
5. "Sexy Sadie"   3:15
6. "Helter Skelter"   4:29
7. "Long, Long, Long" (Harrison) 3:04

SIDE #4
1. "Revolution 1"   4:15
2. "Honey Pie"   2:41
3. "Savoy Truffle" (Harrison) 2:54
4. "Cry Baby Cry"   3:01
5. "Revolution 9"   8:22
6. "Good Night"   3:11

in my opinion that would be... SIDE #3, because "Helter Skelter" is my favourite one in White Album  :)

Venus

• One And One Is Two
Re: your favourite side of White Album?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 05:21:57 PM »

definitely Side 2
I adore and love it to bits

although the whole album is pure brilliance!

(beer)
.<br />+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »

sorry Geoff  :) I forgot, that this thread should have been in albums board. apologizes  :B

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:49:59 PM »

Side 2 for me , i love Blackbird and Julia , Side 3 would be my second choice (smile)

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 12:21:39 AM »

Side 1, closely followed by Side 2.

Side 1 is more diverse...a lot of groundbreaking stuff on there.  It sets the stage for the album: "alright, you can forget everything you ever knew about the Beatles.  Hear that plane? Sit back and enjoy the ride." We start off with a Beach Boys-esque rocker ode to Russia, fly down to hear the best guitar plucking on a Beatles record to date, and a hint with the drumbeat, that this seemingly pure album is gonna much heavier than we were expecting.  And if you start to doubt whether or not you're listening to an actual Beatles album, you get a reminder with "Glass Onion" with nods to previous songs.  "Okay, I trust you."  We finish off with five more songs that demonstrate new ground for the boys: an attempt at reggae; a minute of nonsensical-yet-catchy sounds; a singalong about an elephant hunt and a guest appearance by Yoko; and if you started to think that the album is going into the direction of complete silliness, you are given a sudden jolt to the system with Harrison's first masterpiece, and one of the most serious songs on the record.  We close with a 2-minute 4-part medley about guns.  Sheer brilliance.

Side 2 is more fun.  it is juvenile, but in a very sophisticated way.  I think it would be a safe bet that most listeners under the age of 7 would choose this side as their favourite, and that's not a bad thing.  It brings out that innocent, youth we like to keep hidden away.  But when we look deeper, the issues dealt with on this very seemily upbeat side of the album are quite serious: separation from your lover ("I'm So Tired"), rising against racism ("Blackbird"), social commentary ("Piggies"), fornication ("Why Don't We Do It in the Road?"), or a love song to a deceased mother ("Julia").  Side 2 comes as a Scorsese picture dressed in Teletubbies' clothing.

Side 3 is the angst side.  Which we all need from time to time.  This is the side you listen to when you're ticked off, and it helps.  It goes through the same emotions of depression: it's all about me, even if it's not ("you say it's your birthday? well it's my birthday too."), self-loathing ("yes I'm lonely...wanna die"), the soft ode to loneliness where you feel like nobody sees you no matter how much you give to the world ("born a poor young country boy...I'm sitting singing songs for everyone"), the feeling that everybody is phony ("everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey"), the confrontation with your debtor ("what have you done? you've made a fool of everyone"), the revelation that your debtor isn't as great as he/she thinks ("I'm coming down fast but I'm miles above you"), and finally hitting that low where we long ("how could I ever have lost you when I love you?")

Side 4 is the slow-down.  the resolving action.  the "keep cool, my babies." time for bed.  It's kind of like having the most entertaining person at the party, and all of the sudden, they show signs of tiredness, and everything is beginning to slow down, and you know he's gonna leave soon.  It's bittersweet.  His upbeat jumpy exciting screamy story you are familiar with is now a mellow, shooby-doo-wa story.  He's starting to remind you of your grandpa.  As you grab for some candy, he warns against sweets before bed.  You start to sniffle, and he tells you not to cry.  Crybabies need to go to bed soon.  You start to drift off and you have a nightmare while you hear noises of the party around you.  8 minutes later you wake up, go to bed, and party animal sings you a lullaby.  Sure, it wasn't the most exciting part of the evening, but it had to end somehow.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:07:14 AM »

Side 3 in a landslide.

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:59:08 PM »

I voted side two, 'cause I love I Will, Blackbird, I'm So Tired, Martha My Dear, and Julia. Side one was a little tempting for me too, just for the amazing opening song and the way it moves into Dear Prudence, both those songs are pure genius. The whole frickin' album is pure genius, I love it all. :)
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

Deb

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 11:55:27 PM »

I voted for Side 1.  It starts with Back in the USSR, has Glass Onion toward the middle and ends with Happiness is a Warm Gun.   Wow!   Side 3 was a close second.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 01:29:52 AM »

Quote from: 1458
if not so many people remembers the songs in The White Album, I will recall to you:

SIDE #1
1. "Back in the U.S.S.R."   2:43
2. "Dear Prudence"   3:56
3. "Glass Onion"   2:17
4. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"   3:08
5. "Wild Honey Pie"   0:52
6. "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill"   3:14
7. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (Harrison) 4:45
8. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"  2:43

SIDE #2
1. "Martha My Dear"   2:28
2. "I'm So Tired"   2:03
3. "Blackbird"   2:18
4. "Piggies" (Harrison) 2:04
5. "Rocky Raccoon"   3:32
6. "Don't Pass Me By" (Starkey) 3:50
7. "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?"   1:41
8. "I Will"   1:46
9. "Julia"   2:54

SIDE #3
1. "Birthday"   2:42
2. "Yer Blues"   4:01
3. "Mother Nature's Son"   2:48
4. "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey"   2:24
5. "Sexy Sadie"   3:15
6. "Helter Skelter"   4:29
7. "Long, Long, Long" (Harrison) 3:04

SIDE #4
1. "Revolution 1"   4:15
2. "Honey Pie"   2:41
3. "Savoy Truffle" (Harrison) 2:54
4. "Cry Baby Cry"   3:01
5. "Revolution 9"   8:22
6. "Good Night"   3:11

in my opinion that would be... SIDE #3, because "Helter Skelter" is my favourite one in White Album  :)
i have no idea what the line up on any of the sides are........and if you freaks do then i'm hanging out with the wrong crowd of professionals..... ;D.....you whom i considered family...the loins of my fruits.....that's it you are all banned but but........oh sh*t i can't stay mad at you guys...but on a sirrus note....
         side one is just kind of candy for the kids with obladi and ussr,not only that but john kind of was too surreal on it,and yoko didn't help his cause much....george has the only truly great song on that side....it shouldn't have been there it's better than that.....george should have had a full side as each of the others should have...that there would have been a good concept...in fact george should have had side one...paul and john should have shed ego!!!i dubb side one georgies'
        side2 is pauls with a few other misplaced john and george songs...i do love don't pass me by it deserves to be on the paul side,i is my fave ringo song...if ringo didn't deserve one,then on pauls page it goes...
side three is the john side to me...as with side two there are misplaced paul and george tunes... i am a john fan mostly so this is my fave side...but being gluttons for punishment we gotta travel further to the end...so we keep on...
how many of you play side 4 last???that would have been a decent poll also....
lastly we have side 4....why couldn't they have stopped there??3 is to many it was seeming...listening to them in order...there are a few other preformers with 3 sided albums,johnny winter for one,second winter i think is the album,(FACT :))...because when i listen to the white album i do the whole thing...the 8 tracks mixed the sides...not bad..diffent than spinning the disc...4 is a dissapointment.....revo one tho the way john wrote the song is great but he did right speeding it up....why re do it? and then there again the misplaced song by john and paul and now even george because this should have been ringo side,ringos side...did you hear that james?.....and the last three songs are lined up purrfect...because i was crying and i fell asleep on revolution # nine....which leaves good night!! c ya!!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 11:27:37 AM »

Quote from: 1628
Side 1, closely followed by Side 2.

Side 1 is more diverse...a lot of groundbreaking stuff on there.  

Not the view always taken at the time I'm afraid. The 1968 review by whatshisname Mann (the ayollean cadences mann from 63) said that while it was good it was too retro and lacked the forward thinking of Pepper and bands liked Floyd, and hoped the next album would be a return.
When you think there really is nothing truly groundbreaking - it was all pretty much traditional stuff (and please don't say Ob la di was the 1st white reggae etc. It wasn't I'm afraid.)
Great great album all the same
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »

I can't hear anything groundbreaking on side 1. And as you say, Ob-La-Di was not the first white reggae, though it may be the first time it was attempted by a high profile mainstream rock act. Possibly the only thing that might be considered groundbreaking is it's diversity.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 10:31:37 AM »

Personally I think side 4 is the weakest, most uninspired piece of vinyl The Beatles ever produced. Ruins The White Album for me.
Revolution 1 - the exception. Fantastic.
Honey Pie - Paul's vaudeville might have sat well on a psychedelic Pepper, and was passable on MMT, but seems pointless here, and like George's Indian fiddlings, just more of the same.
Savoy Truffle - lazy. Uninspired lyric and a dull melody. Sounds like a song he was made to do for homework but would rather have been out playing cowboys and indians.
Cry Baby Cry - see above. Tries the imagery and word play of Lucy and Walrus and fails dismally. Lazy melody. Again sounds like he was writing because he thought he had to.
Revolution 9. Whether you see it as brave experimentation or self indulgent junkie crap it's still boring to listen to. Paul had the grace to save our ears from Carnival of Light and John should have done the same.
Goodnight - might have sounded okay (but just) coming after Helter Skelter, but here just sounds dreary (after a ryun of dreariness). Nice reminder of how monotone Ringo's voice really was.
don't follow leaders

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 10:31:04 PM »

Quote from: 185
Personally I think side 4 is the weakest, most uninspired piece of vinyl The Beatles ever produced. Ruins The White Album for me.
Revolution 1 - the exception. Fantastic.
Honey Pie - Paul's vaudeville might have sat well on a psychedelic Pepper, and was passable on MMT, but seems pointless here, and like George's Indian fiddlings, just more of the same.
Savoy Truffle - lazy. Uninspired lyric and a dull melody. Sounds like a song he was made to do for homework but would rather have been out playing cowboys and indians.
Cry Baby Cry - see above. Tries the imagery and word play of Lucy and Walrus and fails dismally. Lazy melody. Again sounds like he was writing because he thought he had to.
Revolution 9. Whether you see it as brave experimentation or self indulgent junkie crap it's still boring to listen to. Paul had the grace to save our ears from Carnival of Light and John should have done the same.
Goodnight - might have sounded okay (but just) coming after Helter Skelter, but here just sounds dreary (after a ryun of dreariness). Nice reminder of how monotone Ringo's voice really was.

i personally agree with everything you've said here. a lot of my fav ones are on sides 1 and 2.
blackbird, dear prudence, guitar gently weeps, i will, julia. its still an up & down album for me. :-/

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 08:51:59 AM »

This side four hardly ever reaches my ears. The most forgettable albumside The Beatles ever produced imo. And I don't even care about Kevin's exception to the rule.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »

Side 4 is indeed the best reason there could be for saying it should have been a single album. I quite like Cry Baby Cry - though it's certainly not a classic. Rev 1 is good, but not a patch on it's b-side sibling. As said before, I think it was brave to put Rev 9 on a Beatles album, but I don't think it really belongs there. I've never liked Honey Pie, or any of Paul's songs in that fashion. Good Night is a Ringo too far, and I'm well known round these parts for my opinion of Savoy Truffle.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 10:03:14 AM »

As a postscript to the above, it just occured to me that given that there was no way George Martin could persuade them to make it a single album, the sequencing stinks. Had they mixed it up a bit more, some of the poorest songs on the album may have been lost in the mix. Remember that TWA had pretty mixed reviews at the time. The Beatles had gone from whacky swinging 60's funtime guys, to serious musicians with something to say, in the space of a year. You can imagine the reviewer, pen in hand, hovering over the page wondering - can I really say this about a Beatles record? And then he hears side 4!

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 04:44:39 AM »

Even though I personally am a fan of "Cry Baby Cry," it seems to be of popular consensus that it's a throwaway, along with the entire fourth side of The White Album.

But sometimes I wonder how well the album would have been reviewed had 1968 singles "Hey Jude" and "Lady Madonna" been included.  But not the single versions.  Whenever I hear the LOVE version of "Lady Madonna" with the extended intro, I can't help but imagine how that would have sounded on the White Album.  Also, the Anthology version of "Hey Jude" with the "From the heart of the black country/When I was a robber in Boston place/You gathered round me with your fine embrace" introduction.

At this point, they had also recorded "Across the Universe" and were already working on "Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam" (although I think it fit perfectly on the Abbey Road album), "Not Guilty" (which is better than Harrison's "Savoy Truffle," in my opinion), "Junk," "What's the New Mary Jane" (which I'm glad they didn't include), "Step Inside Love/Los Paranoias" (the former part wouldn't have been bad, nix the latter), "Hey Bulldog," "Only a Northern Song," "It's All Too Much," "All Together" (the four of which the boys seemed to be pretty ashamed of), and of course "The Inner Light" and the fast version of "Revolution."

This leaves 17 (!) songs that could have been included on the White Album.  I'm glad the White Album wasn't a triple record, but there are a few of these 17 songs that would have probably made better choices on the album than some of the ones that were included.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 09:46:56 PM »

Quote from: 1628
"Not Guilty" (which is better than Harrison's "Savoy Truffle," in my opinion).

i totally agree with that, their version of Not Guilty rocked! i thought George played great
guitar on that, and its a shame that it didn't make the final cut.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 03:14:23 PM »

eric is said to be on that one...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 05:11:18 PM »

I can't agree about Not Guilty. 101 takes (more than any other Beatles song) and they still couldn't get it right. At best it's throwaway, even more so than some of the other songs on TWA. It shows how unhappy with it George was by not re-recording it again until 1979. And I don't believe him when he says he'd forgotten about it. You don't forget 101 takes.

I think that the songs they didn't release during their lifetime as a band were the right choices, with the possible exception of 'Leave My Kitten Alone'.

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 83 queries.