Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Johns Worst album  (Read 5412 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Johns Worst album
« on: June 05, 2007, 08:50:48 AM »

Just for balance against the "worst Macca" thread.
Only those made when he was alive count.
Quite a few to choose from, but I'd have to go for Double Fantasy. The Working Class Hero returns with an album so bland and sickly-fm- friendly-sweet it probably made Mother Theresa chuck.
Mind, everything after Sometime In New York City is bargain-bin material.
So much for the self-proclaimed genius.
And if it wasn't for Imagine he'd be remembered as the guy that wrote "that christmas song."
don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: Johns Worst album
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 10:29:32 AM »

Do you mind if I try and add a useless list aka poll to this thread?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 10:33:27 AM »

It could get lonely on this thread Kev. Double Fantasy - pile of crap. Though Mind Games runs it a close second. If we were including compilations (which we're not) then Menlove Avenue deserves a mention. I've never even heard it, but the thought of an album of outtakes from Rock 'n' Roll and Walls And Bridges has me reaching for the sick bag. You should have made a poll, though thinking about it we may have been the only ones to vote!

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 10:38:42 AM »

There's been heated discussions before. I remember Frightwolf's retoric question: 'Am I the only that thinks that Plactic Ono Band is garbage?'  So thanks to Kevin's questioning whether John was really God, we have learned to look at John's solo-output with open mind. Personally I don't care for Sometime In NYC and Double Fantasy, mainly because of Mrs Lennon's contribution.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 11:02:54 AM »

Quote from: 63
There's been heated discussions before. I remember Frightwolf's retoric question: 'Am I the only that thinks that Plactic Ono Band is garbage?'  So thanks to Kevin's questioning whether John was really God, we have learned to look at John's solo-output with open mind. Personally I don't care for Sometime In NYC and Double Fantasy, mainly because of Mrs Lennon's contribution.

Are you trying to get me lynched?
I came to this board completely believing the Lennon myth.* It was the late great Ydoll Glynn/Maria and Juniorsfarm/Sallyg/Dwarfmcdougall/Duane and your friend and mine Ttkina that got me looking at John's music objectively.

*I was like a confused homosexual. After a while I thought "I don't like these John Lennon Lennon Albums." Was there something wrong with me? I wasn't like all the other boys. Had all those Jim Reeves and Rolf Harris albums of my youth REALLY done some permanent damage? Then one day on DM's I found I wasn't alone.
Thanks DM's.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 11:10:43 AM »

Remarkable that both Ydoll and Junior's were somehow forced to leave the forum.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 11:16:58 AM »

Quote from: 63
Remarkable that both Ydoll and Junior's were somehow forced to leave the forum.

Ydoll never recovered from being sprung as Maria, especially since "she" had been flirting with Wayne. I believe "she" had pert breasts. Fantastic.
Junior was a loss. But his inability to engage in discussion without resorting to personal abuse was intolerable. A shame.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 11:24:58 AM »

Quote from: 185

Are you trying to get me lynched?
I came to this board completely believing the Lennon myth.* It was the late great Ydoll Glynn/Maria and Juniorsfarm/Sallyg/Dwarfmcdougall/Duane and your friend and mine Ttkina that got me looking at John's music objectively.

*I was like a confused homosexual. After a while I thought "I don't like these John Lennon Lennon Albums." Was there something wrong with me? I wasn't like all the other boys. Had all those Jim Reeves and Rolf Harris albums of my youth REALLY done some permanent damage? Then one day on DM's I found I wasn't alone.
Thanks DM's.

I've never been a huge fan of any of them, solo wise, though I've bought the odd album over the years, so that now I actually have quite a few. But do I really like them? Or am I deluding myself because they are records made by ex-Beatles? Certainly, when I came to examine Lennons' catalogue it was a huge disappointment to me, having believed all the hype. And how many 'great' albums has McCartney really made over the years? A couple? I can't comment on George and Ringo, as I haven't heard enough, but what I have heard of George easily matches the best of Lennon and McCartney's in my opinion.

Once John got past his introspective/angry/political phase he seems to have run out of ideas. I don't think he didn't make an album for 5 years because he didn't want to, but because he didn't have a clue. And it shows on Double Fantasy. 5 years and he gives half of his album over to his musically untalented wife. You'd have thought he'd have been bursting!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 11:41:50 AM »

I think the mauling he got over New York City really damaged his confidence. People didn't want "Politically  angry Lennon", they wanted "Imagine lennon" with nice tunes and words you can sing along to. And he tried with Mind Games and Walls and Bridges and couldn't deliver. And it must have got to him. especially as it coincided exactly with Macca 's critical/commercial rennaicance with BOTR and Venus and Mars.
I agree about the retirement thing. He wanted to be a commercially successful artist and he had no idea what to do to do that. Going away was his only choice.
George's career I don't rank either. After ATMP and Material World he was at best nice, most often mundane. He too tried to be a solo star and but just wasn't up to it.
Proof of the adage 'the whole is greater than the sum of the parts." Without each other the Superheroes became mortal.
don't follow leaders

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 12:24:03 PM »

Quote from: 483

what I have heard of George easily matches the best of Lennon and McCartney's in my opinion.

agreed! All things Must Pass alone gives him credibility in my opinion, and there are a number of other good songs on his other albums

I only have JLPOB and Imagine (I really should get more but once you get into Beatles solo stuff, theres a lot to wade through!)
I enjoy both albums but don't see them as incredibly talented, or commercially likeable
I'm open to the fact that I most likely only like them because of Lennon's context, and if I knew nothing about the man, I may be a lot faster to brand the music as 'nothing special'. I prefer imagine though so POB is the worst in my opinion of the only 2 albums i know. I hear that these two albums are better than his other stuff though- so my input is a bit worthless on the matter of worst album

Sorry that's all a bit off topic. I will get back to you when I own all the albums Lennon made (give me a couple of years!  ;))
<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 01:12:56 PM »

Quote from: 553
agreed! All things Must Pass alone gives him credibility in my opinion, and there are a number of other good songs on his other albums

Hi Tangerine. That pretty well does sum up George's career. I'd bet a few pounds though that in 1970 he (and the world at large) would have expected it to amount to a little bit more.
don't follow leaders

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 02:04:50 PM »

Hi Tangerine. That pretty well does sum up George's career. I'd bet a few pounds though that in 1970 he (and the world at large) would have expected it to amount to a little bit more.

well yes, all things must pass was certainly his peak, so it is just as well that he made it. However I would be willing to argue that Brainwashed is a pretty decent album and he therefore made good music right up to the end. Then again, perhaps your point is that from All Things Must Pass onwards, it was only 'decent' and not better than 'decent'? Though albums after ATMP werent (in my opinion) as good, I hardly think they were dissapointing. Feel free to disagree (as I expect you will!)  :)
<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 02:23:53 PM »

well yes, all things must pass was certainly his peak, so it is just as well that he made it. However I would be willing to argue that Brainwashed is a pretty decent album and he therefore made good music right up to the end. Then again, perhaps your point is that from All Things Must Pass onwards, it was only 'decent' and not better than 'decent'? Though albums after ATMP werent (in my opinion) as good, I hardly think they were dissapointing. Feel free to disagree (as I expect you will!)  :)

Not at all. He probably suffers from creating his masterpiece first off, so that everything thereafter was always going to be a bit of a dissapointment.(it seems generally agreed that the only way was up for Macca after McCartney and Wildlife) I just think they and us expected greater things from Beatles than just decent. but then again, they're the ones who set the bar so high in the first place. Life can be so unfair.
don't follow leaders

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 02:32:47 PM »

Like Tangerine, I'm not familiar enough with John's solo albums to comment. *is instantly booted off thread*

These comments seem key to me:
Once John got past his introspective/angry/political phase he seems to have run out of ideas.

I think the mauling he got over New York City really damaged his confidence.

To me, successful creativity is a combination of having something to say and being able to say it with confidence. All the ex-Beatles took their drubbings in the press, and I think it affected all of them. I personally think the critics were unfairly harsh against some of the solo albums, because people were expecting so much (as Kevin said), and no one could match up to the Beatles, including ex-Beatles. With the perspective of time, I think most of us are realizing just how rare and wonderful that initial combination of talent was.

Nevertheless, in John's case, I think there was more going on than loss of confidence. He had some personal challenges, to say no more, that can't have helped his solo output or quality. I just watched this very good interview last night. In part 2 here -
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN8RFQfh3ro" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN8RFQfh3ro</a>
- he starts talking about how "Rock & Roll" came about, and he really was looking for some different approach from the angry, political Lennon. But he really didn't know what to do, so fell back to producing these old standards. In short, he couldn't figure out what he wanted to "say". (Er, that's me editorializing; he didn't actually say that.)

It's a vicious circle. You want to be creative and unique, but you also want to be commercially viable (so you can keep doing your thing). But you can't be too "creative" or too commercial, or you turn people off. Is it a wonder that people often can produce "only" one masterpiece? Getting the stars to align just right is mighty tricky. I'm inclined to be generous towards anyone who has had their "one" success. You have to overcome a lot of obstacles to do it even once; to keep doing it is something of a miracle.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 03:00:41 PM »

Quote from: 551
. Is it a wonder that people often can produce "only" one masterpiece? Getting the stars to align just right is mighty tricky. I'm inclined to be generous towards anyone who has had their "one" success. You have to overcome a lot of obstacles to do it even once; to keep doing it is something of a miracle.

And thar she blows. True words.I can forgive Paul and George, but John called himself a genius. Silly boy.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 03:16:05 PM »

I think George's bigest mistake was in releasing a triple album. Even though a portion of it was made up of studio jams, it was a lot of material to dispense with in one hit. Had he released a single album and then taken the best of the remainder and put it together with the best material from LITMW I believe he'd have had himself two equally excellent albums. He basically blew his chance of being the biggest star on the planet.

Quote from: 551
To me, successful creativity is a combination of having something to say and being able to say it with confidence. All the ex-Beatles took their drubbings in the press, and I think it affected all of them. I personally think the critics were unfairly harsh against some of the solo albums, because people were expecting so much (as Kevin said), and no one could match up to the Beatles, including ex-Beatles. With the perspective of time, I think most of us are realizing just how rare and wonderful that initial combination of talent was.

Absolutely. Saying something convincingly and sincerely is the key for most songwriters, unless you're able to do what McCartney has done so much in the past - knock out a 3 minute song about nothing, married to a brilliant but simple melody. Lennon's problem was that his songs always had to be based on hard fact. Either about him or some issue in the world, and when it comes to just writing a song for the sake of it - making up the story - he fails.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 06:26:11 PM »

I think George's bigest mistake was in releasing a triple album. Even though a portion of it was made up of studio jams, it was a lot of material to dispense with in one hit. Had he released a single album and then taken the best of the remainder and put it together with the best material from LITMW I believe he'd have had himself two equally excellent albums. He basically blew his chance of being the biggest star on the planet.
I will weep forever over this. ...Well, maybe not forever. ;) Still, George created so much great stuff, and blew his credibility by not managing his releases in any way, shape or form. I really regret that he didn't have an editor (producer, whatever) sitting over his shoulder saying "NO!" when it was needed. *sigh*

unless you're able to do what McCartney has done so much in the past - knock out a 3 minute song about nothing, married to a brilliant but simple melody.
True. Paul is very keen on pleasing people. He never really wanted to do anything much beyond write entertaining pop songs, and succeeded in that. But because of the lack of depth, his solo songs have difficulty holding my attention. Generally I find John and George's solo work more interesting to listen to.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 09:01:01 PM »

The only John album i couldn't care much for is Sometime in New York City, i think its a very poor
piece of work by John :-/
I don't think paul realizes what a great lyrirists he is at times, simple & direct.
if i choose between john & george has a great lyrisists, i'd choose George- he was so underated.
his lyrics were always written from the heart, & i think he didn't get enough encoragment from people in the 80's when his albums were selling poorly :'(.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 09:13:31 PM »

No problem on this one ,SOMETIME IN NEW YORK CITY  .Even JOHN made mistakes and this album is a big one  :-/
Wallflower Has Blossomed

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 11:27:05 PM »

Rock 'N' Roll. Bad versions of great tunes. Sounds awful. Any mono mixes of POB or any of John's stuff?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 83 queries.