Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Magical Mystery Tour EP or LP?  (Read 7918 times)

ShesCominDownFastYesSheIs

• A Beginning
Re: Magical Mystery Tour EP or LP?
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 04:18:27 PM »

Quote from: 483

Well, at least HG was in the movie.

only the outro. and what does that matter anyway? I dunno, Hello Goodbye seems to be a break in the "magic" so to speak. I just think that the mellotron of Strawberry Fields would sound much nicer to open side two then Paul screaming YOU SAY YES!!!! into your ear. and as far as CD goes, I think that Strawberry Fields would sound nice after the orchestra and loops of I am the Walrus fade out.

the reason for the tracklisting for tracks 6-11 on MMT seems to be meant to keep the singles together:

6 I am the Walrus/7 Hello Goodbye    
8 Strawberry Fields/9 Penny Lane                  
10 Baby, You're a Rich Man/11 All You Need is Love

as madman said, an example of "record company thinking like a consumer." but whatever, if I lived in the EP vinyl age,  I wouldn't want to only have 6 songs on four sides.
It's great...it sold...it's the bloody Beatles' White Album, shut up

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 07:02:07 PM »

Quote from: 483
Funny though, individually they would all seem to see the benefit of remastering and re-issuing, as they've all participated in extensive solo back catalogue re-issues over the years.

Btw, didn't Apple say they were re-issuing MMT later this year?

Individually they all seem to make the sort of marketing decisions you would expect, but collectively much less so and then only slowly. It may say something about the internal politics that still exist at Apple between The Beatles or their executors.

I haven't heard of any upcoming Apple MMT release, and I can't track anything down on Google or at Borders or Amazon. Not that any of that's conclusive, of course.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 07:08:23 PM »

Quote from: 532
as madman said, an example of "record company thinking like a consumer." but whatever, if I lived in the EP vinyl age,  I wouldn't want to only have 6 songs on four sides.

I really am a crank: I burned a separate CD using the EP running order just so I could have a facsimile of the original. Same with Long Tall Sally.  ;D

Spier

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 05:35:02 PM »

Hi,

I am new to this forum, though I am a Beatles fan for a long time. Being Dutch, I grew up with the UK releases and I really think the MMT EP (by the way, their last EMI EP, not counting Free As A Bird and Real Love) is super. It only has 6 songs, I agree, but if you listen through it it really is a super EP.
I agree that the second side of the US released album does not tack with side 1. It is a collection of songs instead of a 'coherent' album. I hope I don't offend anyone with that, but I prefer the EP.

Spier

BlueMeanie

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 05:58:31 PM »

Quote from: 1371
I agree that the second side of the US released album does not tack with side 1. It is a collection of songs instead of a 'coherent' album. I hope I don't offend anyone with that, but I prefer the EP.
Spier

:) Welcome to the forums Spier.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 07:01:14 PM »

Welcome, Spier!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2008, 08:08:13 PM »

Quote from: 1371

Same here, and welcome aboard.  :)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 11:24:15 PM »

welcome along to DM's forum's Spier!  ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Spier

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2008, 07:54:16 PM »

Hi, Thanks for welcoming me. I think this is a great forum with a lot of different threads.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 01:29:45 PM »

I have no trouble with the album - it's a great piece of music. But I start convulsing when people compare it to "official" albums. No one says the Blue Album is better than say The White album (although it's a official UK release) and no one discusses the merits of Yesterday as a single, despite it's 65 release in the US and subsequent UK '76 release - because no matter what the record companies do it was not intended as such by the band.
If Apple now released an album containing the Long Tall Sally EP songs plus all the not-on-an-album singles of the previous year it would sound good, but please, surely no one would say it's a better Beatles Album than say For Sale. It would sound great, but of course it would because it's stacked with singles.
don't follow leaders

madman

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »

Quote from: 185
I have no trouble with the album - it's a great piece of music. But I start convulsing when people compare it to "official" albums. No one says the Blue Album is better than say The White album (although it's a official UK release) and no one discusses the merits of Yesterday as a single, despite it's 65 release in the US and subsequent UK '76 release - because no matter what the record companies do it was not intended as such by the band.
If Apple now released an album containing the Long Tall Sally EP songs plus all the not-on-an-album singles of the previous year it would sound good, but please, surely no one would say it's a better Beatles Album than say For Sale. It would sound great, but of course it would because it's stacked with singles.

Comparing the Blue album to the White album is like comparing apples and oranges, I think.  They're both good in their own way, but one is obviously a "greatest hits" album created by Capitol, while the other is a work created by the Beatles.

Most people know the difference between the two and view them that way, I would imagine.

But since MMT consists of (at that time) all new material created by the Beatles but put together by Capitol, it blurs the line between compilation and original work.  Would it have sold as EP's in the US?  Probably, but nowhere near as much as the LP.

Spier

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 06:39:18 PM »

I think comparing albums is impossible. For instance, Beatles For Sale and HELP are considered weaker albums whereas they did pave the way for Rubber Soul, Revolver and so forth. The whole catalogue of Beatles albums (and singles) is an evolution in itself. I always try to judge the individual songs within the greater context.

danielcelano

• A Beginning
Magical Mystery Tour - EP vs. Album
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 03:12:34 AM »

Since Magical Mystery Tour was first released on album in the US, how come it wasn't released on EP in the United Kingdom?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Magical Mystery Tour - EP vs. Album
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 05:59:40 AM »

The record format released in the United Kingdom on 8 December 1967, was a six-track double EP on the Parlophone label

nimrod

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 12:53:44 AM »

Since Magical Mystery Tour was first released on album in the US, how come it wasn't released on EP in the United Kingdom?

Ive read that about 6 times now and it still doesnt make sense...

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 03:39:13 AM »

Maybe he meant why it wasn't released as LP in UK instead of the double-EP.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 03:50:11 AM »

^

If that's the case, it's because the walrus was Paul.
I can stay till it's time to go

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 11:01:01 AM »

Maybe he meant why it wasn't released as LP in UK instead of the double-EP.

I assumed that's what he meant as well.

I would say it was because The Beatles weren't so keen to re-use singles on LPs - they didn't want record buyers to pay for the same songs twice. So MMT was released in EP format so that it would be cheaper than buying a full LP.
But the public in the UK started buying the US version of MMT on import anyway, because it is a good compilation. So EMI in the UK decided to put it out in LP format in 1976 and then kept that format for the CD releases.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 07:54:26 PM »

But the public in the UK started buying the US version of MMT on import anyway, because it is a good compilation.

And perhaps because it had a larger booklet too.   ;)

I remember buying the Capitol Magical Mystery Tour LP right after its release here in the US.  The booklet inside was quite a treat!  I had never seen anything like that before and I remember reading the booklet while I played the LP for the first time.

I still have that LP.  And the others I bought just after their release with the exception of the White Album.  I stood on a line outside Macy's all night long to buy the album on the first day of its release when the store opened.  I gave the album to a girlfriend a year later and bought another in 1970.
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 80 queries.