Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any John Mayall fans ?  (Read 1072 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Any John Mayall fans ?
« on: June 15, 2021, 02:08:18 AM »

I remember being about 16, a mate of mine new another guy who was a guitarist in a band, one day he took me around to meet this guy called Brian.
I was pretty impressed meeting him, Id never met anybody who was in an actual band before, I think he was the lead guitarist from memory.
A couple of years older than me and he seemed way cool to me.
Anyway we were sat in his bedroom the three of us and he got out this album and put it on his record player, the album was Bare wires by John Mayall. I'd never heard of John mayall before but when the harmonium started playing and John started singing about his life something clicked within me and I knew that this was one of those moments I would remember my whole life for some reason.
I remember looking at the cover of Bare wires I'm thinking John Mayall was quite a scary looking dude with his strange clothes and beard.
That day we listened to the album all the way through and I was quite mesmerized by 2 things, one was the guitar playing of Mick Taylor, it just seem to be sublime, it had an attack and tone Id never heard before, up to then ID liked The Rolling Stones and The Beatles and The Kinks. The other thing that stood out for me was the drums, I didn't know it was Jon Hiseman ID never heard of him but I could tell that he was playing in a more jazzy style and he was very, very proficient.
I loved the way the drums are played on those tracks, Bare wires for me is my favourite John mayall album because of that day probably and because the musicianship is top-notch everybody is brilliant on it.
Looking back a long long time ago to that day, it seems like a dream now, I'm quite old but I can still evoke that day in my memory and my emotions when I play Bare wires.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Any John Mayall fans ?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 09:15:58 AM »

Can’t say I’ve ever listened intently to John Mayall’s stuff. I was never into the heavy blues stuff as a youngster although it was always around. Will track down Bare Wires and give it a spin.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Any John Mayall fans ?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 04:01:57 PM »

I'm not too familiar with Myall, but I just looked him up and discovered that Eric Clapton played with him for a time, so that warrants further investigation.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 04:22:58 PM by Normandie »

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 40 queries.