Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The "White Album" (Mono)  (Read 6245 times)

The "White Album" (Mono)
« on: January 07, 2008, 06:19:29 AM »

Hello to all! I'm new here. What are your favorite CD versions of the "White Album" in Mono? I've heard that the new Ebbetts' Japanese Red Wax Mono disc is the best presentation of the album. I've been looking for the Mono Japanese Red Wax created by Millennium Remasters a few years ago. Does anyone have it in mp3 form?

MANY thanks!

BlueMeanie

Re: The "White Album" (Mono)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 09:24:24 AM »

Quote from: 1037
Hello to all! I'm new here. What are your favorite CD versions of the "White Album" in Mono? I've heard that the new Ebbetts' Japanese Red Wax Mono disc is the best presentation of the album. I've been looking for the Mono Japanese Red Wax created by Millennium Remasters a few years ago. Does anyone have it in mp3 form?
MANY thanks!

Welcome Darth. The Purple Chick is good. Out of interest, why would anyone want to go to the trouble of acquiring the Ebbetts', or Millenium Remasters, and then have it in mp3? Those guys go to a lot of trouble to give us the best sound quality they can, and you want it converted to mp3? Doesn't make sense to me.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 05:57:46 PM »

Hi Blue Meanie! I always have a problem burning FLACs. Also, I just wanted to listen to the Millennium Remasters' Mono disc until I receive the Doc's new discs.

Can you point me in the right direction?

MANY thanks!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 08:50:58 AM »

Quote from: 1037
Hi Blue Meanie! I always have a problem burning FLACs. Also, I just wanted to listen to the Millennium Remasters' Mono disc until I receive the Doc's new discs.

Can you point me in the right direction?

MANY thanks!

You don't burn FLAC files, that's the lossless compressed file. You have to decode it first and save the files as either WAV, or AIFF, then burn them. You can't play a FLAC file any more than you can play a ZIP file.

Sorry, don't know where to find the Millennium disk.

shoshani

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 05:11:05 PM »

Quote from: 483
You don't burn FLAC files, that's the lossless compressed file. You have to decode it first and save the files as either WAV, or AIFF, then burn them. You can't play a FLAC file any more than you can play a ZIP file.

Sure you can. You have to download and install the codecs from http://flac.sourceforge.net/, but with the proper codecs and plugins both Windows and Mac users can play FLAC files and burn them directly to audio CD without the least bit of bother.  (Popular Linux distros such as Ubuntu and Fedora have FLAC built in, and their native players and burners can handle FLAC files just fine.)

Add the fact that you can easily fit the 12 CD PC White Album deluxe set onto a single DVD, while still being able to play the FLAC files from the DVD, and you've got a little slice of heaven right there.  8)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 04:37:04 AM »

Might be wandering off topic a bit, but does anybody know where I can get a mono fix for Revolution 9? I've downloaded  the PC edition of the White Album from two different sites, but the file for Revolution 9 is damaged on both of them. I'm probably being too picky, but if anybody knows, I'd appreciate the help.

shoshani

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 05:49:48 AM »

Quote from: 1161
Might be wandering off topic a bit, but does anybody know where I can get a mono fix for Revolution 9? I've downloaded  the PC edition of the White Album from two different sites, but the file for Revolution 9 is damaged on both of them. I'm probably being too picky, but if anybody knows, I'd appreciate the help.

I did the same thing. I offered the same advice over on 6plus3 that I'll offer here:

Take the stereo Rev 9. Decompress it to WAV if your favorite editing program doesn't handle FLAC; normalize the file to 50% and then sum the two channels to mono. You should have a file with no peak clipping (its highest peak will be 100% - if you're really concerned about clipping then first normalize the stereo file to 45% and your mono file will peak at 90%, which should be safe) that will replace the unfixed mono file.

The stereo version of Revolution 9 involved so many complicated tape loops being mixed and panned live (with tape rewind coming through at one point) that it was impossible to replicate for a mono mix, so Rev 9 is the only track on the mono album that was made by summing the stereo down to mono.

Thus, you can basically recreate it in the PC White Album and it will be identical to what the mono file should have been.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 12:08:59 PM »

Quote from: 1159

I did the same thing. I offered the same advice over on 6plus3 that I'll offer here:

Take the stereo Rev 9. Decompress it to WAV if your favorite editing program doesn't handle FLAC; normalize the file to 50% and then sum the two channels to mono. You should have a file with no peak clipping (its highest peak will be 100% - if you're really concerned about clipping then first normalize the stereo file to 45% and your mono file will peak at 90%, which should be safe) that will replace the unfixed mono file.

The stereo version of Revolution 9 involved so many complicated tape loops being mixed and panned live (with tape rewind coming through at one point) that it was impossible to replicate for a mono mix, so Rev 9 is the only track on the mono album that was made by summing the stereo down to mono.

Thus, you can basically recreate it in the PC White Album and it will be identical to what the mono file should have been.

When you've done it can you get a copy to me so I can post it on 6plus3?

About the FLAC files, I didn't realise you could play them. But what I meant was, you can't play them on a CD player, as I suspect Darth Beatle was trying to do.

shoshani

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 01:40:27 PM »

When you've done it can you get a copy to me so I can post it on 6plus3?

Check your PM :)

About the FLAC files, I didn't realise you could play them. But what I meant was, you can't play them on a CD player, as I suspect Darth Beatle was trying to do.

Ah...I didn't get that context, because you also can't play a WAV file on a regular CD player, although newer ones are capable of playing MP3s. We need FLAC CD players and portable listening devices!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 03:59:44 PM »

Quote from: 1159
Ah...I didn't get that context, because you also can't play a WAV file on a regular CD player, although newer ones are capable of playing MP3s. We need FLAC CD players and portable listening devices!

I think if FLAC was the only type of lossless file compression then we might see it supported on some DVD players. I didn't realise that you couldn't play wav files on a CD player. I'm a Mac user so I only ever make aiff files to burn. I thought wav was just the PC equivalent?

Btw, thanks for the Rev 9 upgrade.  :)

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 07:20:52 PM »

I think WAV is randomly used. You're probably mixed up with WMV or whatever, Windows Media Vile.  ;D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 07:24:15 PM »

Quote from: 63
I think WAV is randomly used. You're probably mixed up with WMV or whatever, Windows Media Vile.  ;D

Yes. I'm sure you can burn wav files to CD and play them on anything.

Harry Lime

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 11:28:16 PM »

Yes. I'm sure you can burn wav files to CD and play them on anything.
You mean using them as an audio source for an audio CD. That purely depends on your burning software, but WAV being the purest form of LPCM available every software supports it. MP3 comes second in that aspect. When you try newer formats like FLAC or APE than you will see that not every burning program comes with decent plugins, which you have to download seperately from the codec author's website.

When we're talking about burning a CD-ROM (commonly called 'data disk') then just everything goes, and then it depends on your playback device if you can reproduce it's eardrums stimulating contents. Standard CD-players don't have the software in them to read the contents of a CD-ROM, most DVD-players do and they will play back MP3's and WAV's just perfectly.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 01:38:06 AM »

Thanks for the advice on mono conversion and the fix for Revolution 9 over at 6plus3. Really appreciate it. Thanks also for the Sourceforge link; I downloaded a FLAC burning program from their site a few of weeks ago (which would in truth have been about a day or so after I'd first heard of FLAC!) but I haven't tried burning any FLAC files yet; I've just been burning regular CD's straight from the WAV files. Trying it out and downloading some appropriate FLAC codecs and plugins might be a good project for the weekend!

Cheers!

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 59 queries.