Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: OLD CODGERS THREAD  (Read 8712 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: OLD CODGERS THREAD
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 09:43:29 AM »

Quote from: 373
I never wrote that. I forgot to mention that I grabbed that from a different site.

And we thought you were clever! ;D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 10:18:30 AM »

I've begun the notice the refusal of my hair to grow on my head but it's delight in springing up in places that were until now pleasantly barren. Yesterday I noticed a good half-incher protruding from my left ear lobe.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 10:26:37 AM »

I head/heard somewhere that in many respects we are in the great demographic group. All the heads of companies are our age so all the nostalgia products are aimed directly at us.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »

Quote from: 185
I've begun the notice the refusal of my hair to grow on my head but it's delight in springing up in places that were until now pleasantly barren. Yesterday I noticed a good half-incher protruding from my left ear lobe.

It's been growing out of my left ear lobe for years. I whip them off whenever I'm trimming the beard. Funny it's only the left one. And I now have hairs growing on my shoulder, but only the left one.

Pubes are still a healthy dark brown though. :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 10:28:34 AM »

I head/heard somewhere that in many respects we are in the great demographic group. All the heads of companies are our age so all the nostalgia products are aimed directly at us.

Makes sense. We're also meant to be the ones with all the money :-/

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 10:38:51 AM »

Quote from: 483

Pubes are still a healthy dark brown though. :)

The forest is verdant but the beast is getting lazy. Morning glories are now a cause of wonder and celebration, rather than the damn "not again!" annoyance they used to be.
don't follow leaders

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2007, 07:44:40 PM »

The Baby Boomers refuse to give up there hold on the world! Leave some for the rest of us!! My generation is known as the one the Boomers screwed over. We have no money. But who really buys into this stuff? It's all relative. Is there really a big difference between generations? I mean, besides the memories they have and the technology they grew up with?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2007, 07:26:39 AM »

Quote from: 216

The Baby Boomers refuse to give up there hold on the world! Leave some for the rest of us!! My generation is known as the one the Boomers screwed over. We have no money. But who really buys into this stuff? It's all relative. Is there really a big difference between generations? I mean, besides the memories they have and the technology they grew up with?

The whole thing doesn't make any sense. I'm 48, so I'm meant to be one of the lucky ones in the category of having money to burn. So how come I went through the propery bust in late 80's, early 90's, and mass unemployment!! I see kids these days, 19-20 year olds in Copenhagen with their own apartments, iPods, surround sound, expensive mobile phones etc. Jesus, I was lucky if I could afford a pint on a friday night when I was that age.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 09:17:27 AM »

Quote from: 483

The whole thing doesn't make any sense. I'm 48, so I'm meant to be one of the lucky ones in the category of having money to burn. So how come I went through the propery bust in late 80's, early 90's, and mass unemployment!! I see kids these days, 19-20 year olds in Copenhagen with their own apartments, iPods, surround sound, expensive mobile phones etc. Jesus, I was lucky if I could afford a pint on a friday night when I was that age.

They don't know how lucky they are. And they're have to be taught how to AVOID sex. AVOID! Christ, the world's changed.
Mind, I'm very glad I grew up in the sixties. The world seemed a safe place and full of wonder. I was obsessed with the space race. My Airfix Mercury/Gemini/apollo models were my pride and joy. And the future was something to look forward to, not dread (bloody greenies and their doom-and-gloom buggering everything up.)
don't follow leaders

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 11:18:39 AM »

i never wanted to grow up...my son chucky is like that too..i knew how good i had it....i don't know if i cotton to being called an old codger tho...sure some of my hair is turning white but.......

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 11:33:12 AM »

the times back then are just fading memories we have become our fathers and mothers....i love to recall the old days but i am sure we have it better in some ways now.....medicine is better 4 one.....i wish you could be restored like i am doing with the car but you can't have your cake and eat it too...at least i ain't a grandparent yet...not that this would be a bad thing but i am sure it would make me feel older....

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 11:43:24 AM »

I agree - times have never been so good. We can buy what we want, go where we want, do what we want. But I swear no one's an iota happier. have we really come this far just to find out that all the things that make our lives easy are going to kill us? Bah! I refuse to take part in this chicken-little hysteria.
don't follow leaders

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 11:46:41 AM »

I agree - times have never been so good. We can buy what we want, go where we want, do what we want. But I swear no one's an iota happier. have we really come this far just to find out that all the things that make our lives easy are going to kill us? Bah! I refuse to take part in this chicken-little hysteria.
you know my last name happens to be little????
i agree you can't live being scared...i am not scared...i take the world on head first....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 11:51:19 AM »

and the sky is falling.....

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 04:35:11 PM »

Oh no, not again!  ;D
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2007, 06:35:10 PM »

I can't imagine being old, reminiscing about iPods, Will Ferrell or Fergie. "I hope I die before i get old".
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2007, 06:38:34 PM »

not me i hope you live 4ever.........

BlueMeanie

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2008, 09:35:06 AM »

I thought I'd dig this one up from the grave - as it were - as we have had a few additions to the club in recent days. So welcome 'old codgers' one and all. I won't name them, they know who they are!!

Actually, while I'm on the subject of death, what are your feelings regarding your own mortality? I'm 50 later this year - as I know a one or two others are - and so far I don't seem to have had a crises over it. I'm reasonably fit and healthy, have my own hair, and teeth (not all of them!), and live in a foreign country with a woman 5 years my junior. Not bad for an old git. Tell us your tales of misery at reaching the big one.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »

I still have everything I was born with and nothing added. A girlfriend 20 years younger, but to be honest that's more of a problem than a bonus.
I'm quite into that "7 ages of man" stuff at the moment. When I Think of myself at say eight  - I was an information  sponge that found everything in the world fascinating, where all I wanted to do was run, jump, climb and explore. For all intents and purposes that child is dead now. As was the baby that preceedeed it, and the sex mad  music-is-my-life teenager thart followed. Now again at 49 I am a different person. I think I see things with much more objectivity and clarity than I ever could when I was younger. I do regret the passing of some of the previous me's - the world's just not as exciting as it used to be. I don't know if BM's done this, but I tried to resurrect some of my childhood passions (building model airplanes for instance) but the thrill is gone. But then again I have things in the new me that I wouldn't swap for the world, and I wouldn't resurrect The Teenager for all the tea in china.
Don't know what the Old Man Me is going to be like. Just hope it's not one of those sour faced old gits sitting on a bus grumbling on about the good old days. And when that Old Man Me dies, is it really any worse than the death of the other Me's?
And BM - maybe twenty more summers until someone's mashing your food with a fork and you're sh*tting in your pants (again). And you can go to the shops in your underpants and yell at people and all they do is give you a cup of tea and send you home. Every cloud....
don't follow leaders

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2008, 10:05:22 AM »

Quote from: 449
                                     ^
                                       :D

We used to' borrow" lead from empty houses and the odd factory and go and weigh it in  ;)
And borrow ruhbarb and crab apples,and my favorites garden peas fresh from the pod from nearby allotments  ;)

me and my mates used to do that when we was young in the 90's there was an old abandoned industrial estate with a rather handy junk yard about 1/2 a mile away so we'd tear these building apart for the copper trade it in for a fiver or a tenner each as that all we could carry then go get some pot noodles and sweets for the rest of the day :)

did it everyday for the whole of the summer till there was nothing left to take.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 1.342 seconds with 81 queries.