Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tell Me What You See  (Read 9616 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Tell Me What You See
« on: February 08, 2013, 06:06:11 AM »

I always liked this song...a lot!  It was an easy song to learn on guitar.

Here's what I said about it in Beatles under a microscope - HELP!

This is one of my favorite songs on this album.  I like Paul's lead vocal and John's harmony and how they switch.  I like the claves and the quick outro.  But what I like most is the more mature nature of Tell Me What You See.  It's a signpost to the future and Rubber Soul.

The Beatles - "Tell Me What You See" Stereo Remaster

The keyboard you hear is the Hohner Pianet...

I can stay till it's time to go

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
Re: Tell Me What You See
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 08:47:58 AM »

I always liked this song...a lot!  It was an easy song to learn on guitar.

Here's what I said about it in Beatles under a microscope - HELP!

This is one of my favorite songs on this album.  I like Paul's lead vocal and John's harmony and how they switch.  I like the claves and the quick outro.  But what I like most is the more mature nature of Tell Me What You See.  It's a signpost to the future and Rubber Soul.

The Beatles - "Tell Me What You See" Stereo Remaster

Me too  :) I always loved that song and I enjoy it every time I listen to it. It's true that the lyrics are pretty mature. It's kind of Beatles songs you're not fed up with because you don't hear it often on radios (like Hey Jude).

Snoopy

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 01:43:55 AM »

Here is my review from the Microscope thead-

Tell Me What You See - Weak song. I don’t like the vocals here. I don’t like the backgrounds either come to think of it. Here’s a song that has drums, tambourine, wood blocks, and some other noise making instrument being played at the same time. Too much in my opinion. The organ is ok actually to me here. The lead vocals and backgrounds are shaky throughout the entire song. Why? George Martin should have tightened this song up some. Maybe he didn’t feel it was worth the effort. I can understand that. Humming together at the end sucks and sounds dumb. Song is nothing more than filler.

Yeah, not one of my favorites.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 05:15:12 AM »

This is certainly a filler, but I enjoy it at parts. I like the drumming, I find some rare beats by Ringo there.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 04:02:18 PM »

I like the song but I agree the vocals weren't thought out well. According to The Recording sessions this was originally written for Help but rejected.
Paul plays electric piano and on the tape box one of the percussion instruments is a Latin American instrument called a Guiro.
Febuary 18th is the recording date.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 01:05:26 AM »

I like the song but I agree the vocals weren't thought out well. According to The Recording sessions this was originally written for Help but rejected.
Paul plays electric piano...

Take another listen to those vocals, Dave.  They're very well thought out and sung with both John and Paul taking turns singing melody and harmony vocals.  There's a bit of double tracking in there too.

The electric piano Paul plays is the Hohner Pianet C which makes an appearance on the Salisbury Plain...

The Night Before

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 01:09:56 AM »

...one of the percussion instruments is a Latin American instrument called a Guiro.

A gourd and I think the "some other noise making instrument being played at the same time" Todd refers to.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:21:02 AM »

Take another listen to those vocals, Dave.  They're very well thought out and sung with both John and Paul taking turns singing melody and harmony vocals.  There's a bit of double tracking in there too.

It was done in a very sloppy manner though Barry. That was my point. The song would definitely benefit from some tightening up from a studio standpoint. It just seems like they went in and knocked this one out asap if you get my drift.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 02:39:16 AM »

It was done in a very sloppy manner though Barry. That was my point. The song would definitely benefit from some tightening up from a studio standpoint. It just seems like they went in and knocked this one out asap if you get my drift.

Still a very difficult vocal arrangement, Todd, with John and Paul alternating melody and harmony vocals in the verses and singing in unison at an octave in the bridges.  I don't know how long they spent on the song but the result was fine, in my opinion.  But I've always liked this song for its mature love sentiments.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 08:08:47 AM »

Still a very difficult vocal arrangement, Todd, with John and Paul alternating melody and harmony vocals in the verses and singing in unison at an octave in the bridges.  I don't know how long they spent on the song but the result was fine, in my opinion.  But I've always liked this song for its mature love sentiments.

The song was done in 4 takes.

Here's what Paul thought of it-
    I seem to remember it as mine. I would claim it as a 60-40 but it might have been totally me. Not awfully memorable. Not one of the better songs but they did a job, they were very handy for albums or b-sides. You need those kind of sides.

(I'm just busting your chops Barry. The songs just fine and if you like it, thats awesome. I dont hate it and cringe when I hear it, its just that its not one my favorites. Anyways, just poking fun and its all cool as long as you like it so dont be hating on me.)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »

Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I like this song very much!

The electric piano Paul plays is the Hohner Pianet C which makes an appearance on the Salisbury Plain...

The Night Before

Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 04:10:54 AM »

The song was done in 4 takes.

Not too shabby for just four tries!

Here's what Paul thought of it-
    I seem to remember it as mine. I would claim it as a 60-40 but it might have been totally me. Not awfully memorable. Not one of the better songs but they did a job, they were very handy for albums or b-sides. You need those kind of sides.

What does Paul know anyway!   ;D

(I'm just busting your chops Barry. The songs just fine and if you like it, thats awesome. I dont hate it and cringe when I hear it, its just that its not one my favorites. Anyways, just poking fun and its all cool as long as you like it so dont be hating on me.)

I know, Todd.  And I've always enjoyed your down-to-earth feelings about The Beatles.  It's just that I really like this song...and the line

If you let me take your heart
I will prove to you
We will never be apart
If I'm part of you

I guess I'm an incurable romantic.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 02:35:33 PM »

I.ve relistened to the vocals a number of times and they're pretty good! I definatly like it.
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 02:52:46 AM »

I.ve relistened to the vocals a number of times and they're pretty good! I definatly like it.

See?  I knew you would!

Now go tell Paul what you see.

(If it really is Paul)

;D

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 05:55:47 PM »

As a bass player myself, I've always appreciated and enjoyed Paul's bass playing in it.

It's very punchy sounding yet warm and "woody" and gives a very nice texture to the low end. 

When I'm feeling blue or "odd" I like listening to this song: the singing is nice and has an overall morose sound to it but the bass line is soothing for the above reasons.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 07:04:18 PM »

nimrod

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »

This is certainly a filler, but I enjoy it at parts. I like the drumming, I find some rare beats by Ringo there.

Its one of those songs that....

if it was by another band I would never listen too

but because its the Beatles I enjoy it

Love the harmonies

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 11:32:30 PM »

Ah!  But it has a deeper meaning...

Beatles Cartoon - Tell Me What You See

nimrod

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 11:41:13 PM »

To me it sounds a lot like

I Need You

both songs could be blended together quite easily
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.576 seconds with 82 queries.