Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Where Were You?  (Read 82693 times)

Brynjar

• Getting Better
Re: Where Were You?
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2010, 11:23:22 AM »

Funny, I was watching the newest VH1 100 shocking moments, and Michael Jackson's death was number one. The idiot who introduced the clip goes, "it was so tragic, most of us remember exactly where we were when we heard it." Umm, wasn't it just a couple of months ago?? I mean, really now.

Michael Jackson´s death was not shocking. Not at all. But he was a genius. No doubt about that.

They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

lennonista

• One And One Is Two
  • ¡Viva la revolución!
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2010, 02:37:19 AM »

I figured this would be the best place for my first post...

Hi all. I was a senior in high school when John died. That horrible night, I was at a friend's house and I was just about to go home (because I had a lot of homework to get to) when the tv announcement came on. Overwhelmed by shock and horror, I drove home, where my entire family was waiting for me, hoping I was okay. The next day at school, I was a zombie... I remember that my first period teacher spoke to the whole class and told us that the only good thing about this senseless murder was that at least John would be remembered as forever young. A few days later, some friends and I organized a memorial at school at lunch time. We all gathered in the amphitheater and lit candles and sang John's songs. Practically the entire student body showed up.

It was a horrible, depressing time. I still cry when I see photos of all the memorials that were held around the world. Those of you who are too young to have been traumatized by John's murder are lucky. But, then again, those of us old enough to have been alive when John was working his magic are pretty damn fortunate as well!  8)

Peace

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2010, 02:54:45 AM »

Welcome to the Forum, lennonista.  Yes, it still hurts thinking of that day.
I can stay till it's time to go

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #203 on: April 14, 2010, 12:25:19 AM »

john lennon and bob marley's voices were silenced within months of eachother and next thing you know everyone was watching ronald reagan on television
the forces of the universe were diabolical

Jon

• One And One Is Two
  • I feel that ice is slowly melting
    • Revolving Soul
« Reply #204 on: August 22, 2010, 03:58:36 PM »

I was -4 years old....

Mustang_Ed

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2010, 09:13:31 PM »

I was at a party.  The bad/sad news came and there was shock and disbelief.  A happy party turned very sad.

carlacundari

• One And One Is Two
  • it doesn't hurt to feel your own pain.
« Reply #206 on: October 21, 2010, 09:11:53 AM »

People often say they remember exactly where they were when they heard that Kennedy or Elvis had died. Can you remember where you were and what you were doing when you first heard the news about John's Death?

I was in a bus and read about it on a newspaper, went home and got drunk.
I cried for 2 days, I was 23.
It doesn't hurt to feel your own pain.- John.

beatlesfan502

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #207 on: November 21, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »

I was 17 at the time. I was driving home from my girlfriends house and listening to WLRS. They first announced that John Lennon had been shot. (I thought that  maybe John had been robbed or mugged on the street knowing how he moved about NYC like any other person). WLRS started playing "Instant Karma", but shortly stopped the song and announced that John was dead. Then they started playing ''Imagine''. I was in total shock. I felt like a family member had just died.
After I got home, I couldn't sleep so I stayed up all night listening to the radio. I just couldn't listen to John's or The Beatles' music at the time, so I listened to stations that didn't play their music. John's death was such a tragedy. I had just discovered The Beatles in 1977, and John became my favorite for many reasons. I went to NYC in 1979, and made a special trip to the Dakota to try and see him, but John was in Japan at the time. I was so happy when he started recording again in 1980. And then this happened  :'( . John was a wonderful man, and will never be forgotten.
We All Shine On......

carlacundari

• One And One Is Two
  • it doesn't hurt to feel your own pain.
« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2010, 02:47:58 PM »

People often say they remember exactly where they were when they heard that Kennedy or Elvis had died. Can you remember where you were and what you were doing when you first heard the news about John's Death?

I was 23 and I heard the news, so I got drunk and cried for days-
It doesn't hurt to feel your own pain.- John.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #209 on: December 09, 2010, 03:17:31 AM »

i miss you moondog johnny.........i will always love you... i will be saddened on this your death day......forever more ....even if i forget my own birthydaze....
pc31 ;sorry :'(

droopy

« Reply #210 on: December 09, 2010, 08:22:49 AM »

J'avais 20 ans, étudiant en Histoire à Rennes, France. J'ai entendu la nouvelle à la radio et je n'y ai pas cru... Puis j'ai réalisé que plus rien ne serait comme avant, que cette fois, the dream is really over... J'avais connu la séparation des Beatles, mais demeurait l'espoir d'une reformation durant les seventies... En hommage, 30 ans après, j'ai modestement fait une reprise, via Grow old with me, le John doux, tender John....
John Lennon - Grow old with me

Bobber

« Reply #211 on: December 09, 2010, 09:23:50 AM »

Bonjour droopy et merci pour vos mots. Problem is that English is the standard language in here, so that all people can read, discuss and react. Hope you don't mind and keep posting. Welcome aboard!

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2010, 02:31:26 PM »

I have been a huge highly impressed Beatles fan(specifically a big John and Paul fan) since I was 9 and I started to collect their albums,I got my first Beatles book for 11th birthday and I had every album by age 13.

I was 15 and a half when this horrible insane,incomprehensible tragedy happened.I have never had ESP experiences before that I can recall.But the creepiest and strangest  thing happened to me the night he was tragically,cruelly,killed for no rational reason,but I didn't know it yet,I didn't find out until the next morning when I heard my parents watching Good Morning America and the DJ Murray The K who had been a big Beatles fan and friend of theirs was on talking about it almost crying with David Hartman.

I had enough problems I was going through and now I was devastated to learn this! But the actual night it happened about an hour before John was shot,I took a piece of paper and wrote the time which was around 9 somthing PM and the date Monday December 8 1980 and I placed it inside the Beatles book I got for my 11th birthday 4 and half years before,with some flowers which I had never done before in all of these years I owned it.

Also between 10:30 to 11 PM I was listening to The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour album,which wasn't unusual but for some unknown reason I kept playing John's song I Am The Walrus over and over again,John was shot during this time period! After I learned what happened I looked in my Beatles book at where I placed the paper with the time and date and the flowers,and it was right near John's face,and it was a group picture of The Beatles in India!

Somehow because I always loved them so much and still do,I was subconsciously intuned to something bad happening to John and was saying good-bye.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2011, 01:18:37 AM »

Like others, I heard about it from Howard Cosell on MNF.

This youtube clip was before they announced it on air (during a commercial break) trying to decide if they could/should tell their audience (sorry if it has been posted previously).

I was 15 at the time and have an older brother that would play a cassette of the blue album on our way (three brothers) to aunt and uncles house for Christmas Day every year (parents and grandparents in another car).

That was my first repeated listening to the Beatles which led to a lifetime of enjoyment since.

Howard Cosell Audio: Did not want to announce Lennon's death (VERY RARE)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:45:54 AM by Bobber »

Bobber

« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2011, 07:46:23 AM »

Welcome to the forums blmeanie. ;D

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2011, 11:13:26 PM »

thanks, no relation to the bluemeanie I've seen many posts from, lol

my very first aol account (first entry into the internet) was blmeanie, have held it ever since.  20 years, moving it from service provider to service provider.

First online gamer name was "Like pigs from a gun"   ; got tough explaining that one so for gaming I went with blmeanie as well.  My avatar was 1987 ish, handmade costumes for a Halloween party at a club in Boston (I was JL), we won first place (of course).  Hung out all night with a late 60's JL who's girlfriend was a believable Yoko too.  Good times.

Sorry about the ramble.

KelMar

« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2011, 05:30:46 AM »

Like another person who posted in this thread, I was a senior in high school when John Lennon died. That night I was in my room, putting yarn around my boyfriend's class ring when I heard it announced on Monday Night Football. My first period class the next morning was a government class, led by a very outspoken and patriotic teacher. He always started class by going over current events but he didn't say a word about the most obvious one. Someone questioned him on this and he made some nasty comment about John "Lemon". Quite a few of us took exception and he started going on about the song Revolution. I never was one to speak up much but I raised my hand and asked him if he really knew what the song was about. He thought he did but I explained it to him and he was actually quite surprised. I doubt I really changed his mind but he did stop his rant which wasn't easy to do with this guy. He actually was a great teacher really but very singular in purpose.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2011, 05:48:03 PM »

that was a totally tragic event for me too. it ripped my soul apart over the next several days. i had just gotten home from work, turned on the tv set to monday night football, then got hit with the tragic announcement.
day tripper yeah

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2011, 09:13:25 PM »

...I wasn't born then  ;sorry But I could tell you all about what I was doing on 9/11 :-\

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2011, 05:01:03 PM »

...I wasn't born then  ;sorry But I could tell you all about what I was doing on 9/11 :-\
oh it was brutal, let me tell you. everyone was in shock you could see it in peoples faces.

i had never understood that John was the leader of the group until the media started spilling their guts about John Lennon, beatlemania, and the beatles, etc. up until then he was just a singer and songwriter and oh yes he played rhythm guitar in the band. don't laugh. good thing i suppose, i went out and bought in his own write and saw the  "james joyce style"  wordplay and the silliness that abounds, and the pictures too. that's when i realized he must be a very clever fellow, and there must be alot more going on in beatles songs, then i had even imagined. up until then strawberry fields was just that song to me, just like you've got to hide your love away, baby you're a rich man, i need you or yer blues.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:16:43 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Page created in 1.027 seconds with 88 queries.