Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADT Test  (Read 2428 times)

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
ADT Test
« on: December 31, 2008, 04:14:50 AM »

Hello all, I am here again to share another crazy/lousy experiment. This time will be better than the last, and if you remember my last post about Beatlesque, please don't, as I think its real crappy after I have done more studying. :P (and that horrible Cheese & Onions thing I did, sounds like trash now :B)

This is just a short simple experiment with trying to replicate Automatic Double Tracking. I decided just to put all the examples in a zip to save time and space.

1. Raw Acoustic Guitar sample from Raw Tracks.com, I do not know the brand or what microphone was used.

2. A V72 preamp impulse response was used, followed by a Pultec style EQ, then a LA-2A style compressor,
and lastly several tape saturation plugins. While a V72 is no REDD 47 preamp, and Pultec is close to the REDD 51 Pop EQ, and the LA-2A being listed as sounding close to the EMI RS123 Compressor in that an Altec Compressor is built quite similar to a LA-2A, but EMI extensively modified them, and tape plugin of a Studer at 15 ips.

3. Previous track, with 2nd copy pre delayed to 40 ms while also being "timed stretched" to 10 cents faster.
This is a key element I often overlooked. While having a delay and modulating pitch, the delay was soon changed way out of sync, but by "time stretching" the plugin, the delay always remained at 40 ms but with a altered pitch. A Wow & Flutter plugin set to a very light and subtle setting was used on the delayed track.
The effect is some what "Dear Prudence" style intro.

4. This is a kind of extra, a Magical Mystery Tour type Chorus. While trying to get 2 delayed copies to pan in volume to simulate the true effect of ADT, having the delay alter ahead and behind, I decided just to put both on full volume and a kind of warbly "ROLL UP" effect happened, so I decided to share it with you all.

"AcGtr Raw" is 1.
"AcGtr Beat" is 2.
"ADT" is 3.
"ADT Chorus" is 4.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ttxtn0hylmu

Come to think of it, by vari speeding the pitch before hand, recording it, and then time stretching it, might have actually made the truest replication of ADT I think is available for a Digital Audio Workstation. It might be able to arrive ahead or behind and still remain delayed. I'll post that result next time. If anyone is interested in this feel free to send me any recording you'd like done, I do this out of love, me in my wannabe white EMI lab coat ;D
P.S. All mixed in glorious Mono.

"Whatever it is that will please you, I'll do it"
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
Re: ADT Test
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 06:07:28 AM »

By George, I think I've got it...
I did what I had thought might be more a accurate style of ADT and low and behold, I really think it is.
I varispeeded the delayed track manually by hand and saved that take, then I reloaded it to time stretch it. The effect really does have the "doubled" sound now. I randomly moved the pitch oscillator from -10 to +10 cents, although somewhat fast as this is such a short demo. I am not sure if by doing this continuously it would move too far out of sync again or not. But you be the judge on what you prefer and like best. 8) Doing this with the Chorus set up would probably yielded an even more effective Magical Mystery Tour type warble.

http://www.mediafire.com/?byjwhjowztz
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »

Artificial Double tracking? Why not just double track or are you saving channels? Seems a labourious process. For a quick fix, I would just copy n paste the same part 2/3 times and place one or two ever so slightly out of sync. Add a bit of chorus and voila! About 2minutes editing time. I like the EMI whitecoat idea though. I just got an Allen & Heath system 8 old analogue desk and looking forward to getting her buses synced up to an old fostex reel to reel....It's almost time to put the labcoats on. heheheh
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 07:59:13 PM »

Oh yeah, regular Doubletracking would have sufficed, I just wanted see how close I could come to it doing the hard way. I am a rather eccentric person, little techinical things give me joy ;D I hope your 8 track works out for you!

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 03:37:20 AM »

Good to hear....cheers amigo...Will keep U posted.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 46 queries.