Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Freedom is one of Paul's worst songs.  (Read 8558 times)

Wayne L.

Freedom is one of Paul's worst songs.
« on: May 19, 2004, 01:46:32 PM »

I think Freedom has got to be one of the " worst songs " creatively, musically, artistically & lyrically Paul has ever written & recorded as an artist in over 40 years in the music business because it's such a " cheesy of the moment " song with him being one of the first to capitalize on the 9/11 terrorists attacks on the WTC & the Pentagon even though he meant well at the time but Freedom is McCartney at his worst which is now " forgotten " with Where Were You(When The World Stopped Turning) by country artist Alan Jackson as the timeless tribute song to the 9/11 tragedies!

Re: Freedom is one of Paul's worst songs.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 04:30:45 PM »

I like it.  I know I am perhaps the only person on the globe that does, but it's a great rally song.

However, even I have to admit the lyrics blow.  BIG time.  I think he could have coughed up a rhyme or two.

But I find it infectious, the chorus will stay in my head forever.

But again, there is no doubt most humans with ears agree with you on this one.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 08:18:29 PM »

You wouldn't rally me with a piece of rubbish like this.

People

Beatle Ed

• Getting Better
  • //0-0\\//- -\\
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 11:08:55 PM »

Well I like it ALOT better than that song from Driving rain, the one where the chorus is pretty much "lalalalalalalaallala" Yuck

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 01:09:10 AM »

Freedom wasnt only one of Pauls worst songs, it might be one of the worst songs ever written by anybody. Sadly, this song brings down the stock on a rather good album over all.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 01:25:50 AM »

I don't think he intended to cash in. He wrote if for the concert that he organized in support of the city.

Harlena McStarkney

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 01:55:40 AM »

Actually, I'm with Charlie on this one--I LIKE "Freedom"...and I think that the lyrics were made simple so that the large crowd could understand them easily and get the message that Paul was saying.  You can sing along with the chorus, which is good, for the type of thing that Paul wrote the song for.  You have to remember that Paul probably wasn't trying to come up with a song that was super-profound or deep-in this case it was a get-to-the-point ordeal.
I wish you all would stop picking on Paul, as he IS a great songwriter and musician, and he's really not that bad of a person, as far as celebrities go today.  I mean, look at people like Michael Jackson, Eminem, and Britney Spears!  At least Paul knows how to perform good music (in spirit if not in tune all the time).
Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 02:11:09 AM »

I understand the enimity most people feel to this song, and I can understand their freeling the song is weak and trite.

But I absolutely do not believe he wrote and recorded it to cash in.

However, his recalling the Driving Rain CD to add it does look untoward to a lot of folks, so even that is understandable.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 07:41:04 AM »

[quote by=Maccalvr link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1084974392,s=5 date=1085016350]I don't think he intended to cash in. He wrote if for the concert that he organized in support of the city.

Wayne L.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 01:50:35 PM »

Freedom is one of " worst songs " Paul has ever recorded & released as a solo artist because it was so " cheesy " despite being heartfelt lyrically after the 9/11 terrorists attacks on the WTC & the Pentagon. 

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 04:47:24 PM »

I could care less what the song actually says or the political aspect or the cashing in,,,,,it could say that DM's Beatle Forum is the greatest and the song would still suck.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 01:36:42 AM »

Well, I disagree with the opinion that Paul is a shallow, money grubbing, oportunist.

bulldog_0909

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 03:14:17 AM »

i think yoy're going to say that he was cashing in, then you have to say all songs about 9/11 are cashing in which they are other wise they give it out, or not put it on a album or give all the money to help people.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 02:23:10 PM »

[quote by=bulldog_0909 link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1084974392,s=12 date=1085109257]i think yoy're going to say that he was cashing in, then you have to say all songs about 9/11 are cashing in which they are other wise they give it out, or not put it on a album or give all the money to help people. [/quote]

Damned fine point.

Wayne L.

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2004, 12:49:29 PM »

I think Where Were You ( When The Stopped Turning) by country artist Alan Jackson is the timeless classic of the 9/11 songs which will be listened to long after the 9/11 terrorists attacks because it wasn't cheesy creatively, musically, artistically & lyrically unlike McCartney. 

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2004, 04:21:39 PM »

Never heard it. 

I agree, Paul did a sloppy job with this hasty song.  Then again he witnessed the attacks and may have simply felt that way at that time.

Or he was just being sloppy as he always is with his solo stuff.

I still like the song meself.

Beatle Ed

• Getting Better
  • //0-0\\//- -\\
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2004, 05:11:31 PM »

Wayne you'd be more appreciated if you wouldn't copy and paste all of your posts, from your previous posts..

Or maybe you wouldn't be.

Harlena McStarkney

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2004, 06:13:38 AM »

[quote by=Beatle_Ed link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1084974392,s=16 date=1085245891]Wayne you'd be more appreciated if you wouldn't copy and paste all of your posts, from your previous posts..

Or maybe you wouldn't be.[/quote]

Ed, you rock!!! (grin)

I don't think that Paul's solo work is "sloppy".  It is his own style, so naturally it's not going to be as good as the stuff the Beatles did because the Beatles were four geniuses...Paul is one.

And why is it such a bad thing that Paul would want to make money off a song?  He writes songs, that's how he makes his living!  And since so many of you are complaining about the song, well no one MADE you buy the album.

It's all the way you look at things.  To some, Paul appears a greedy person.  To others, he is a typical working person: he wants to make money off of what he does best.  I see him as the latter.  If you don't like what he writes, then don't buy his music.  Simple.

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2004, 08:30:24 PM »

But Harlena, it is still OK to criticize him!

I find the constant adulation of an overrated phony like Paul McCartney annoying.

Harlena McStarkney

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2004, 09:03:25 PM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1084974392,s=18 date=1085344224]But Harlena, it is still OK to criticize him!

I find the constant adulation of an overrated phony like Paul McCartney annoying.[/quote]

And the converse, I find the constant criticism of an underrated genuine like Paul McCartney annoying. 

But, no matter.  We are all entitled to out own opinions. (grin)
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 79 queries.