Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Microscope: Sentimental Journey  (Read 11964 times)

Bobber

Microscope: Sentimental Journey
« on: December 17, 2014, 03:49:51 PM »

*working on this!*

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Microscope: Sentimental Journey
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:40:56 AM »

Alright Cor.  I like the mixing up idea.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:05:04 AM »

Yes. Ringo should be fun.

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:07:54 AM »

Alright Cor.  I like the mixing up idea.

I'm putting them in a chronological order. Ringo is the first Beatle that put out something worth to listen to!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »

Probably the last too.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 06:53:43 PM »

Can I do 'Electronic Sound'?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 01:25:49 AM »

Can I do 'Electronic Sound'?

Already been done.

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 08:20:22 AM »

Probably the last too.

ha2ha. Could very well be true.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »

Oh, yes, I must have missed that. Pity.

Though on reading the comments, it's good to see that all the liberal free thinkers were there to give it its traditional kicking on a Beatles, that 'Beatles', web-site! Poor George.

The irony is that the reception to 'Electronic Sound's recent reissue was extremely positive on electronic music/experimental/dance/DJ type web-sites.

Most of the (more adventurous?) people on such sites seemed to love it.

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 09:59:20 AM »

Oh, yes, I must have missed that. Pity.

Though on reading the comments, it's good to see that all the liberal free thinkers were there to give it its traditional kicking on a Beatles, that 'Beatles', web-site! Poor George.

The irony is that the reception to 'Electronic Sound's recent reissue was extremely positive on electronic music/experimental/dance/DJ type web-sites.

Those are all people that are into modern music. Not into the sixties stuff like us.  ha2ha

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 08:38:14 PM »

So it should get a pass since this is a Beatles site?  If somethings bad,,,,its bad.

So it scored ok in the one genre that it catered too?  Yeah, one would have to be adventurous to find enjoyment.

Look OBS, i'm not trying to rag on you as people tend to like what they like, but i'm wondering how much of this is just you defending George Harrison more so then actually enjoying the record.  Its not even structured music.  I'm having trouble imagining somebody walking through their house saying, "You know what.  I'm in the mood for some Electric Sounds right now.  Think i'll break that out."

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 10:18:19 PM »

So it should get a pass since this is a Beatles site?  If somethings bad,,,,its bad.

So it scored ok in the one genre that it catered too?  Yeah, one would have to be adventurous to find enjoyment.

Look OBS, i'm not trying to rag on you as people tend to like what they like, but i'm wondering how much of this is just you defending George Harrison more so then actually enjoying the record.  Its not even structured music.  I'm having trouble imagining somebody walking through their house saying, "You know what.  I'm in the mood for some Electric Sounds right now.  Think i'll break that out."

I think the fact it's a Beatles site means we at least give it a hearing. More than it'd get from 90% of the rest of the world.

I really like George. I listen to his solo stuff more than the other Beatles. I even like Wonderwall music. But I couldn't cop to Electronic Sounds. It just came across to me as an adventurous muso falling in love with the things a Moog could do. Compare that to how subtlety snd effectively the Moog was used on Abbey Road. On George's song no less.

I'm not even that against electronic music. But emphasis on the word music.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 10:19:46 PM »

I hope you get The microscope up soon Bobber. The threads getting impatient.
 ;)

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 10:51:21 AM »

I hope you get The microscope up soon Bobber. The threads getting impatient.
 ;)

ha2ha

It seems so. I got some spare time tonight.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 05:08:04 PM »

I think the fact it's a Beatles site means we at least give it a hearing. More than it'd get from 90% of the rest of the world.

The funny thing is that out of all the members on this site, only about 10 of us listen to the solo stuff as evident by these microscope threads.  Sad actually.

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 11:24:43 PM »

Sentimental Journey

"I did it for my mum." Ringo Starr on Sentimental Journey. It seems that not just Paul had a soft spot for 'granny music'. Ringo asked his relatives what songs he should record for this album. He asked George Martin to make an album of standards together, and to ask different people to take care of the arrangements.

01 Sentimental Journey
From the booklet in Italics
This 1945 hit for Doris Day got a new arrangement by Richard Perry (who later produced Ringo's albums 'Ringo' (1973) and 'Goodnight Vienna' (1974). The orchestral backing was recorded in the USA so all Ringo had to do was to overdub his voice at the Olympic Studios in London on January 14th 1970. Written by Bud Green, Les Brown and Bon Homer.

My overall feeling on the album is that the orchestration by George Martin is at times too much to handle and this song is the direct showpiece for my point. There's the little piano riff, strings, saxophones, the effects on the voice as a solo, it is very, very overwhelming. Ringo's singing is particularly weak in the first half. After the solo he sings higher and it sounds a lot better and more powerful. I could do without the lady's choir that sets in at 2.33.

02 Night And Day
Night And Day, arranged by Chico O'Farrill, was the first song Ringo recorded for the album. It was recorded at Abbey Road on October 27th 1969. Night And Day was originally performed by Fred Astaire and Claire Luce in the 1932 musical play 'The Gay Divorcee' and was a 1937 hit for Tommy Dorsey. Written by Cole Porter.

The George Martin Orchestra in full Big Band mode. Ringo's voice is in a better shape compared to the previous song, or this one suits his voice better. And he is not such a bad singer, listen to what he's doing at around 1.11. I don't fancy the arrangement gives room to the somewhat annoying piano licks. Nice saxophone solo and I'm not even a fan of the sound of a sax. Well done.

03 Whispering Grass (Don't Tell The Trees)
A mono demo recording of this song was done on February 9th 1970 and handed over to Ron Goodwin by George Martin. Ron was asked to write a new arrangement for the song. The song was later recorded at Morgan Studios on March 5th with a 36 piece orchestra conducted by arranger Ron Goodwin. This song was originally recorded in 1940 by The Ink Spots. Written by Fred & Doris Fisher.

Grand opening, too much for me. After that, the song settles into a nice melody with loads of strings. Ringo sings this pretty well, but the orchestration is once again overdone.  All of a sudden, at 1.30, it's just Ringo and a guitar, a little bass and a very limited percussion. Nice. The massive strings ruin the atmosphere once again at 1.48.

04 Bye Bye Blackbird
This 1926 song, sung by Eddie Cantor, got its new arrangement from Maurice Gibb from The Bee Gees. Maurice conducted the 36 piece orchestra himself as the song was recorded on March 5th at Morgan Studios in London. Ringo's vocals were double tracked. Written by Mort Dixon and Ray Henderson.

Ah! The refreshing sound of a banjo! Nice arrangement with some percussion coming in at 0.20. Honky tonk piano at 0.30. Building up towards the end it gets a little overwhelming once again, but as the arrangement is pretty sober in itself (tho the music is not), is just alright.

05 I'm A Fool To Care
Recorded at Abbey Road on February 11th with a 15 piece orchestra (including Billy Preston), conducted and arranged by Klaus Voorman. Ringo's vocals were overdubbed during the same recording session. This song was initially a 1954 hit for Les Paul and Mary Ford. Written by Ted Daffan.

A bit of a boring song and I think Klaus Voorman made nothing special out of it, besides a change of rhythm at around 1.50. It's just 20 seconds and then the song goes back in the same dull order again.

06 Stardust
The orchestral track for this song was recorded on November 7th 1969, the vocal track was recorded a week later on November 14th. Paul McCartney's arrangement of the song was realised by George Martin. 'Stardust' was first recorded as an instrumental in 1927 by Emile Seidel and Orchestra. Words were added later, in 1929, by Mitchell Parish. Written by Hoagy Carmichael and Mitchell Parish.

Twinkeling stars promise a nice arrangement, but Paul McCartney follows the footsteps of the previous songs. Loads of strings. Sigh. Ringo is singing this not particularly great either. Especially the section after 1.14 brings problems for his voice. But the drum break at 2.02 the song ánd Ringo finally lets it all go for a short while. Twinkeling stars finish it off. Nothing special.

07 Blue, Turning Grey Over You
The first take of this song was recorded on November 28th 1969 arranged by Oliver Nelson. Nine more takes with orchestra conducted by Johnnie Spence were recorden on December 4th when Ringo also overdubbed his voice to complete the recording, but a new vocal overdub was recorded on February 24th 1970. Originally a hit for Louis Armstrong and his Orchestra in 1930. Written by Andy Razaf and Thomas 'Fats' Waller.

A song that got stuck in my mind because of the driving power of the piano bass notes.. The vocal overdub does not work very nicely, as Ringo is often too much out of timing. Further on it is the now usual Big Band sound, with lots of brass. Ringo's voice almost drowns in the orchestration. Nice fooling around and joking from Ringo from 3.00 towards the end.

08 Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing
Arranged by Quincy Jones, this song was a 1955 hit for the Four Aces. The first orchestral backing was recorded in the USA. Ringo added his voice on January 14th 1970 at Olympic Studios, London. The was re-recorded in EMI Studios on February 3rd when arranger Quincy Jones conducted a 16 piece orchestra. The organ was overdubbed by Billy Preston. Eight additional singers, flutes, organ and vibraphone were overdubbed on February 19th 1970. The song was originally a theme from the film with the same name. Written by Sammy Fain and Paul Webster.

Sugarsweet. The eight additional singers make this arrangement almost laughable. Sounds like a Coca Cola Xmas advert. A skip.

09 Dream
Recording starten on November 14th 1969. This song was a 1945 hit for the Pied Pipers. A 15 piece orchestral arrangement was added on February 10th, conducted and arranged by George Martin. Written by Johnny Mercer.

Ringo is singing this with an easy, double tracked voice. Nothing outstanding to remember here. Even the arrangement by the great George Martin doesn't make it special.

10 You Always Hurt The One You Love
This 1944 hit by the Mills Brothers was arranged by John Dankworth. A 20 piece orchestra conducted by the arranger himself was recorded at De Lane Lea's Sound Studios in Soho, London, were Ringo also added his voice. The song was mixed during the same session on February 25th 1970. John Dankworth overdubbed sax, piano on drums on March 6th. Written by Allan Roberts and Doris Fisher.

By the time this song reaches the ears, it has all become too much of the same trick. A grand opening, Ringo coming in, a virtuoso solo (this time on sax) and work towards the end. This song has the advantage of being moderately fast. Nice arrangement tho.

11 Have I Told You Lately That I Love You
The orchestral track was recorded in the USA and sent over to England were Ringo added his vocals on February 9th and re-recorded them on February 18th. A 1945 hit for Bing Crosby, this was first performed in 1945 by Lulu Belle and Scotty Wiseman and arranged for this album by Elmer Bernstein. Written by Scott Wiseman.

Sounds like an arrangement made for the Eurovision Song Contest. This song has the feeling of a pop song and Ringo handles this pretty well. Is that the orchestra missing some right notes around 1.18? Sounds strange.  Funny to hear that the music builds up, but Ringo hardly adds any more volume to his vocals.

12  Let The Rest Of The World Go By
This song was from the film 'When Irish Eyes Are Smiling' (1944), sung by Dick Haymes. Les Reed arranged the song for Ringo. Recorded at Abbey Road on February 12 th 1970. Ringo re-recorded his vocals on February 18th 1970.

Ringo has problems handling the vocals very well. Very boring song with a Xmas feeling once again. Terrible background singers. Sigh.

All in all
An embarrasment, as John Lennon described it? Not completely. Sentimental Journey is not unpleasant to listen to and chronologically, it is certainly the first solo album by a Beatle I listened to more than once. It's a nice album to undust during the upcoming Christmas. Is it essential? Certainly not. These kind of songs are not the best thing Ringo can do.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:34:33 PM by Bobber »

Bobber

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 09:50:40 AM »

Well, at least the review moderated the thread.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 10:34:33 AM »

I'd love to chip in on this. But to be honest I can't recall ever consciously listening to songs off this record.  I think I've heard the title track a couple of times.

Ringo crooning old standards just didn't hold any interest for me.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 11:39:44 AM »

I'll brush the dust off of this one and try to get my review up tonight.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 12:39:55 AM »

Just started listening to this via YouTube. First impression from the first three songs, it's better than I expected. Ringo sings ok all considered. This was the pre Auto Tune era so the fact he's singing in tune shows he had a certain level of musicality to draw on. At times he sounds pretty good actually. Certainly shows a bit of verve here and there.

I'll keep going with it. Can't say it'll become a favourite of mine. Just not my thing and if I want to hear these songs Ringo isn't the singer I'd choose to do them.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.789 seconds with 74 queries.