Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: American movie titles  (Read 4581 times)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
Re: American movie titles
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 07:11:50 AM »

Coming back to song titles, I remember in the fifties when American songs dominated the British charts, people said you couldn
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 07:33:04 AM »

Quote from: 1161

It comes down to what you choose to notice, of course: I'm very good at blowing off things I can't be bothered with, other people be damned. There's no way I'm going to line up for a Star Wars movie, for example. Some things stick in your mind while others don't, too: I can still remember the first time I saw A Clockwork Orange and North By Northwest rather well (since we were talking about Hitchcock and Kubrick in another thread here the other day), but despite having seen Caddyshack at least a couple of times by now, the only thing I really remember about it is the gopher and Kenny Loggins' cringe inducing "I'm Alright."

I don't know, but I have a lot of great memories of goofing around with my friends about movies like Caddyshack and Star Wars. I guess I'm one of the sheep with low tastes in film!  Or maybe it's childhood fondness. Movies are a very social thing I think. Certain generations have their defining movies and it sort of creates a connection  for those people. A common ground. Whatever! I can't explain it. I know though that I was always able to relate to people a lot older than myself because I was a huge fan of older movies and television too. Again, I think it creates some sort of connection. Movies are more than just another art form. And even if that's how you judge moives, you can't hold every movie up to one standard of what is acceptable art. Or not. Just babbling now. ??)

I remember when I first saw A Clockwork Orange too. Love that movie despite my initial viewing at a VERY young age. Don't think I should have been watching it at seven or eight, but that's what comes from letting an older brother babysit. It was that Singin' in the Rain sequence that got my attention being a big Gene Kelly fan at that age. Surprise, surprise! Anyway, it did set off a minor obsession with the book and movie in my teen years.

Anyway, I think every type of movie has its place. They can't all be Kubrick, Hitchcock, and Truffaut. I can love a horrible B movie as much as anything if that's what I'm in the mood for. But yeah, it's not for everyone. It's funny because my brother recently accused me of not being a movie buff because I didn't want to watch some horrible straight to video movie with Armand Assante! He thinks movie buffs watch anything and everything. I don't know about that! I mean, if a movie has Dolf Lundgren in it, I'm pretty sure I don't need to watch it.  :)

Sorry to be off topic Bill! But I love talking about movies almost as much as I love talking about music! Sorry!

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 08:32:21 AM »

Movies are one of my favourite topics. I remember when I went to London at the end of the Fifties and wandered down Oxford Street, coming across the Academy Cinema which was showing 'The Sorcerers of Salem' (It had a French title). I thought Mylene Demongeout was fascinating and thought she'd become another Bardot, but I think she had to give up her film career to look after an ill husband. I continued going to the Academy when Virginia and I moved to London. We lived round the corner in Charing Cross Road. Films such as 'Pierrot Le Fou'  and 'Alphaville' were on. 'Alphaville' was a particular favourite. I've written about it here:
http://sixtiescity.com/Mbeat/mbfilms38.htm
I remember we took Tony Bramwell with us to see Antonioni's 'The Red Desert' and I think that put him off Italian films. I loved Fellini movies. Tom Baker, the Liverpool actor who was 'Doctor Who' would drop around our house after we'd been drinking in the Redan pub to watch films like 'Roma' on video. At the art college, I was in charge of the film society and booked films such as 'L'age D'or' and 'Orphee'. I booked the Wadja films and Stuart Sutcliffe was so entranced by Cybulski, that he began to wear dark glasses like him. James Dean wasn't Stuart's influence as people seem to believe, it was Cybulski. In the art college days we used to go 'across the water' to the Continental cinema in wallasey to see French and Italian movies. Sophia Loren in 'Aida' etc. Then, when Virginia and I started Mersey Beat, we could get into all the city centre cinemas for free, I used to interview the film actors who made personal appearances. I'd post some photos of me with them on the forum, but I don't know how to do it. The Scala was the cinema that began showing continental films such as 'La Notte' and a particular favourite was 'Viva Maria.'
I was also a sci-fi movie buff, but that's another story.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »

Quote from: 216
I don't know, but I have a lot of great memories of goofing around with my friends about movies like Caddyshack and Star Wars. I guess I'm one of the sheep with low tastes in film!  Or maybe it's childhood fondness.

Childhood fondness can be very powerful: I've got complete runs of the old sixties Shatner / Nimoy Star Trek as well as Gerry Anderson's UFO and Space:1999(second series of that really sucks, though), all of which I have because I loved them when I was about twelve. Anorak to the end, I'm afraid.

Actually, I don't think that either Caddyshack or Star Wars are bad films so much as they are rather conventional ones: when I first saw Star Wars I thought it was simply a Burt Reynolds car chase movie in space. The reason I remember the gopher bits in Caddyshack is because they're unexpected and quite funny: I mean, a semi grown man being done in by a rodent that has more intelligence and style than he has- nice touch, that, and more interesting than the teenage-coming-of-age business in the rest of the movie.  :)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 02:16:59 PM »

Quote from: 1062
MI remember we took Tony Bramwell with us to see Antonioni's 'The Red Desert' and I think that put him off Italian films. I loved Fellini movies.

I remember seeing Antonioni's La Notte late one night (sorry) on the multicultural channel in Toronto back in the eighties, and even chopped up by commercials and at two or so in the morning it struck me as being a tremendous film. Fellini is great: I saw Amarcord in a film class and it was probably the first film they'd shown since Citizen Kane that really made me sit up and take notice. I think I'll put in an order for a bunch of these.  :)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 02:40:33 PM »

La Dolce Vita was a black and white film, but quite impressive. However, Fellini really came into his own with colour. The lush vistas of Juliet of the spirits and Roma are a sheer pleasure to look at. Another director who is very visual is Ridley Scott.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »

"American Werewolf In London "(1981) is a brilliant movie from that time " Jenny Agutter" in a nuse's uniform really got my tepreature rising (wink1)
Also from that period i remember "Altered States" Ken Russell's last great film .

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 04:03:07 PM »

Quote from: 971
" Jenny Agutter" in a nuse's uniform really got my tepreature rising (wink1)

Okay, that did it: I am going to watch this film again.

[Note to self: when you're so out of it the sex goes over your head it's time to stop, okay?]

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 04:24:15 PM »

Quote from: 1161

Okay, that did it: I am going to watch this film again.

[Note to self: when you're so out of it the sex goes over your head it's time to stop, okay?]

Nurse Alex if i remember right was Jenny's part and she gets her kit off for the shower , their was a lot of nudity in this film ,David Naughton runs around London Zoo in the buff so there's something for everyone
(wink1) (thumbsup)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 04:31:07 PM »

Nurse Alex if i remember right was Jenny's part and she gets her kit off in the shower

Erm... don't remember that either.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »

LOL , have just found this film in my collection so i'm off for a Jenny fix (tongue6)(smoking3)(wink1)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 08:05:56 PM »

"America" is a pretty word. I think that's why so many people use it for movie and song titles. There's even an actress named America Ferrara!
It doesn't make a lot of sense really though as "America" is a continent, not a country. But "United States of America" is kind of a cumbersome name. "Breakfast in The United States of America" just doesn't have the same ring, does it?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 08:17:37 PM »

Quote from: 216
Don't tell me, you weren't a fan of Animal House and The Blues Brothers either? Oh well, we're on two separate pages then. Anyway, Griffin Dunne's portrayal of the rapidly decaying best friend trying to convince the lead character to kill himself is just so enjoyable. I can't help but be amused.

^^^^^^^Cool Sandra!!!!  Animal House, The Blues Brothers............those are in my collection of movies I HAVE to HAVE!!!!  Excellent.  And I love American Werewolf in London.  And.................I'm also a member of Netflix.  That's the only way I watch movies.............and if I really like them, then I can buy them.  Great idea Netflix is.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 12:59:37 AM »

LOL , have just found this film in my collection so i'm off for a Jenny fix (tongue6)(smoking3)(wink1)

;D  ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 02:01:26 AM »

Quote from: 614

;D  ;)

Well i watched  "An American Werewolf In London "
again tonite .
And yes Andy Jenny is bloody lovely in that nurses uniform , she's such a "Hottie" , and the film is great too it still holds up well today i think ? you can see  how it used the combination of  dark humour and horror in films of today .
The werewolf transformation won an "Oscar " for best make- up and it deserved it .
(cool1)(clap)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 04:02:51 AM »

Quote from: 614

Very nice indeed... makes me want to drop a big rock on my foot and hop to the emergency ward, in fact.

But of course I'd get Nurse Diesel instead of Nurse Jenny:

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 05:08:24 AM »

Oh.........come on guys!!!!!  Liven up!!!  The world is not ending......you still all got ME!!!

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 07:24:00 AM »

The film actress I liked in Fifties movies was Kim Novak. Jane Asher was in that cult movie 'The Deep End.' Nicholas Roag movies were also quite intriguing - including 'Walkabout'. I'm currently building a collection of Fifties sci-fi movies - and I notice they are re-making virtually all of them, the most recent being 'Invasion' with Nicole Kidman, but a lot more coming up ranging from 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' to 'Forbidden Planet.'

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 03:22:16 AM »

Quote from: 1062
The film actress I liked in Fifties movies was Kim Novak. Jane Asher was in that cult movie 'The Deep End.' Nicholas Roag movies were also quite intriguing - including 'Walkabout'. I'm currently building a collection of Fifties sci-fi movies - and I notice they are re-making virtually all of them, the most recent being 'Invasion' with Nicole Kidman, but a lot more coming up ranging from 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' to 'Forbidden Planet.'

Forbidden Planet is an old favorite of mine that just came out on DVD (or perhaps was reissued) maybe a year or so ago. It's still a very good film, really.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 01:57:25 PM »

I used to dismiss sci-fi movies, but strangly now i'm a huge sci-fi buff!
i think it's just the journeys these films take you on. i love them!  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.591 seconds with 83 queries.