Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: is 'get back' about yoko?  (Read 11517 times)

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
Re: is 'get back' about yoko?
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 02:33:50 PM »

But the song wasn't 'anti-foreigner', in fact it was anti-'anti-foreigner'. He was satirising the policies suggested by Enoch Powell.

TBH, I think John was just being paranoid in this case.
It should be noted that these lyrics were satirical. The song was originally going to be called "Don't Dig No Pakistani" but they feared that people would not get the humour.
----------------------------------------------------
that's good to know because it seemed very out of character . . . it did have me wondering because i found a few scenes in Help belittling towards Indian people . . . and yes I know the Beatles didn't write the film and those were different times

all the same . . . even as a satirical lyric it suggests a connotation to the phrase "get back" in the song's conception that is along the lines of "go away unwanted foreigner" - that made me give a second thought to john's claim that it was an anti yoko song

i've since read a few things speculating who the Jo in 'jojo' was based on . . . but i started this thread because i had just seen paul do get back on the david letterman show and it struck me that 'jojo' sounded like 'yoko'

thanks for responding to my thread everyone

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 05:31:39 PM »

technically, yoko is foreign
and she did avant garde in america.
(oh, and why did she start recording songs when she clearly has no experience? she should stick to the art)

George does not approve.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 05:36:08 PM »

(oh, and why did she start recording songs when she clearly has no experience? she should stick to the art)

So you can't record anything if you have no experience? Bit Catch 22 that isn't it. Where do you think The Beatles started?

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 05:44:43 PM »

LEAVE YOKO ALOOOOOONNNNNNEEEEE

ha2ha ha2ha ha2ha ha2ha ha2ha

cassNJ

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 12:10:29 AM »

I didn't see this myself, so I can't vouch for its accuracy, but somebody told me that Jo Jo Laine (Denny's wife) claimed that SHE was the Jo Jo in the song.  Apparently she was a big fan of Paul's and wrote him lots of letters, but I'm not sure if she claimed to have met him back then or not.  Maybe someone here knows more about this?

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 12:26:04 AM »

this was from 'beatle songfacts' :

There was speculation that the character "JoJo" was based on Joseph Melville See Jr., Linda McCartney's first husband, who was from Tucson, Arizona. McCartney denied this, explaining in his 1988 autobiography Many Years From Now, that he and Linda were on good terms with See, who used the first name Melville, and that "JoJo" was "an imaginary character, half-man and half-woman." See never remarried, and in 2000 he killed himself in Tucson.

half man half woman, huh? . . . . . .

so john + yoko = jojo  ha2ha ha2ha

the more i understand it, the more i believe that paul was greatly emotionally affected by yoko's involvement in john's life and the beatles.
. . . . it's like he subconsciously wrote a song saying "go away, go away" because that was the unexpressed emotion running through him

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 04:15:56 AM »

Oh-oh! My two cents again.

Sometimes John and Paul created a song title and wrote a song around it, i.e., "Eight Days A Week". It is possible that Paul started with the concept of the album, "Get Back", and wrote a song to include the title, whether it had anything to do with getting back to basics or not.

When Eric Carmen left the Raspberries, his first solo single and album were titled, "All By Myself". Clever. The song was about being alone, but it fit the idea of his going solo very well.

As for John, every reaction by Paul and George regarding Yoko triggered paranoia. Remember his rant about his "beast friends"? According to John, George was even nastier to and about Yoko.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2021, 01:12:45 AM »

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2021, 09:28:40 AM »

ha2ha

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2021, 05:19:55 PM »

ha2ha  That was much better than the TikTok clips my daughters send me.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 59 queries.