Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Why did John become a God?  (Read 16208 times)

Why did John become a God?
« on: June 19, 2007, 01:49:33 PM »

Interesting points by Kevin elsewhere. The Myth of John Lennon. But where and when did the majority of the earth started to look at John as some kind of God? Was it just the whole 'give peace a chance' thing? Why is he still regarded as the ultimate peaceful, most talented, most honest Beatle?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Why did John become a God?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 02:33:23 PM »

Quote from: 657
Interesting points by Kevin elsewhere. The Myth of John Lennon. But where and when did the majority of the earth started to look at John as some kind of God? Was it just the whole 'give peace a chance' thing? Why is he still regarded as the ultimate peaceful, most talented, most honest Beatle?

Before I get run out of town I will point out that I am not alone in thinking this, nor am I saying anything new.
don't follow leaders

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 02:45:15 PM »

because he just seemed to encompass it all... he was an international symbol of peace and love... he was just something bigger than rock'n'roll ...

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 02:52:12 PM »

Quote from: 657
Interesting points by Kevin elsewhere.
My, what an interesting statement to log in to find this morning! Could you summarize or point to the interesting points, unless you think this will cause Kevin to be run out of town.  ;) Just started reading today; I'll poke around a bit further... :)

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 03:09:47 PM »

Oh you know, that John was some peace loving guy at one with himself and the universe, that he had some special insight, that he was of above average intelligence, a family man, that he wrote "deep" music while others wrote trivia....

I much prefer the drug abusing, chain smoking, paranoid, cynical, self obsessed, bisexual, witty, generous, sharp tongued, cruel master-songwriter* who stood naked on his roof and watched UFO's.

(*Though he hadn't written a decent song since 1972)
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 03:54:30 PM »

Quote from: 185
Oh you know, that John was some peace loving guy at one with himself and the universe, that he had some special insight, that he was of above average intelligence, a family man, that he wrote "deep" music while others wrote trivia....

I much prefer the drug abusing, chain smoking, paranoid, cynical, self obsessed, bisexual, witty, generous, sharp tongued, cruel master-songwriter* who stood naked on his roof and watched UFO's.

(*Though he hadn't written a decent song since 1972)

;D

I was wondering whether I should stay out of this one. Or shall I just let rip?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 03:57:14 PM »

Well, considering the thread is titled "Why did John become a God?" - I'd say that's up to you! *where's that cowardly smiley when you need it?*  ;D
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 03:58:47 PM »

Quote from: 483

;D

I wondering whether I should stay out of this one. Or shall I just let rip?

Don't you dare hang me out to dry.
(balloon)(blush1)(cat)(dance)(dazed)(clown1)(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 04:01:30 PM »

If someone hasn't said "there is no nobler pursuit than that of the truth" then they should have.
don't follow leaders

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 09:30:50 PM »

John would laugh at this because its ridicolus! :P
He was an amazing human being & very special but he was no god.
he said it in the Imagine movie, 'i'm just a guy who writes songs'!
 :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 07:38:37 AM »

I think that Mrs Ono contributed a LOT to the image of John-God after his death. She keeps talking about John and peace and all that. She might have loved the guy so I can't really blame her for seeing only the good things of his life. But she keeps on talking like 'John would have loved this' as soon as it has something to do with love and peace. Fact is that John has been dead for 26 years now: she can't really know anymore what he would have loved. The world has changed.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 09:24:47 AM »

Quote from: 614
John would laugh at this because its ridicolus! :P
He was an amazing human being & very special but he was no god.
he said it in the Imagine movie, 'i'm just a guy who writes songs'!
 :)

The only thing that I can think of that would qualify Lennon for "amazing and special" was his dedication to the peace movement.
But, this was relatively shortlived (1969 to 1972) and he dropped it like a hot potato once the public expressed its disproval (or to put my cynical hat on, when it stopped bringing in the bucks.)
It was not effective (sitting in bed stoned for a week, posting acorns etc), and all their efforts seem to owe more to Yoko's Performance Art background than to John. He seems more a hanger-on than an instigator.
Nor was rock stars lending their fame to good causes unique. Dylan was doing it when John was still singing about holding girl's hands. And thousands of people were dropping out, getting stoned and dedicating their lives to peace. They just didn't have the good fortune to be Beatles.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 11:17:23 AM »

Time to put my cynical hat on now. John was a relatively happy, though somewhat unfulfilled person until Yoko came by. Kudos to her for inspiring the man. Yoko, on the other hand was a relatively (by all accounts) fulfilled conceptual/performance artist without an audience. You can see how well this starts to fit together. Bandwagon arrives and Yoko duly throws herself on. There is a mutual advantage to all this. Fame for Yoko, credibility and fulfillment for John. Just as long as it lasts. John did the peace thing as long as it suited him, and when it started to affect his image/sales he dropped it like a stone. So see, I'm thinking he's more interested in sales than any do gooding. And when John was gone Yoko's career hardly went into overdrive did it?

The fact that some people look upon Lennon as some kind of God has everything to do with those 3 years (1969-1972) and the fact that he was murdered, than to any of his abilities as a musician. If Paul had been murdered (and he'd never done Mull Of Kintyre) people might well be saying the same thing about him.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 02:06:31 PM »

Bobber has a great point. Yoko is all about image, always has been. John (and the other Beatles) certainly had an "image" at the beginning, but they delighted in puncturing it. "Yeah, we drink and smoke. Yeah, I've dated a fan-- what of it?" This honesty only added to their charm. Later, when the Beatles were breaking up, John in particular went after the Beatles' image with a sledge-hammer: "Look at us! We're flawed, faulty human beings!" Of course, it wasn't so charming then; everyone was too hurt to enjoy it. (And John did work out of this phase eventually.)

Quote from: Kevin
The only thing that I can think of that would qualify Lennon for "amazing and special" was his dedication to the peace movement.
He doesn't get any marks for drive, wit, and talent? :(

Quote from: Kevin
their efforts seem to owe more to Yoko's Performance Art background than to John. He seems more a hanger-on than an instigator.
I'd agree with this. John's friends were saying to themselves, "Whoa, where did this come from!" I think John really wanted some strong direction in his life at that time. The other Beatles were busy with their own concerns, so were not busy "activating" John. When they came together in the studio, there were those growing musical differences that put tension on what used to be their former binding aspect.

I'm not quite as cynical as BlueMeanie. I think John dropped the peace thing because it couldn't hold his attention, not because it didn't "sell". John always moved through phases: his "making it to the top phase" and his "Dylan phase" and his hippy phase and meditation phase and conceptual artist phase, and on to his "party animal, free at last!" phase and househusband phase so on.

Quote from: BlueMeanie
Yoko, on the other hand was a relatively (by all accounts) fulfilled conceptual/performance artist without an audience.  
Wow, this is an interesting sentence. I never thought of Yoko in this way before. I'm going to ponder. Thanks!

Quote from: BlueMeanie
The fact that some people look upon Lennon as some kind of God has everything to do with those 3 years (1969-1972) and the fact that he was murdered, than to any of his abilities as a musician.
I'll grant you that his murder really focused people on his loss ("You don't know what you got til it's gone"), but was it really all about peace? I can't help thinking people were feeling tremendous gratitude for the Beatles music and how those good memories had been part of their growing-up period. But then, I don't really know about this group that "looks upon Lennon as some kind of God" so perhaps the 3 peace years bit is true for them.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 02:17:10 PM »

i like John.... and ya he was greater than rock n roll and he was a symbol of peace... but i think that ppl may think he's a godb/c anytime you try to explain him you really can't... and i don't know if that's a good thing or not.... it's just he isso complex and intriuging ...definitely something "special" definitely about him.....

i for one think George should become more of a god than john but that is just me.... (yeah)

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 02:27:07 PM »

Quote from: 668
and ya he was greater than rock n roll

Now that is a bold statement!

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 02:56:47 PM »

Why is John considered a God?

Because he is dead.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 03:24:30 PM »

Who is this God ? Is he/she the one who people kill in the name of .

DaveRam :-/

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 03:28:34 PM »

Mr Horse! You're thoughts please now you've got us started.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 03:33:06 PM »

I deleted my post which was in response to Hariheads well thought (as usual) post.
I disown my statement therein (not the content but my words.)
don't follow leaders
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 82 queries.