Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Baby You're A Rich Man  (Read 5211 times)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Baby You're A Rich Man
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 06:36:39 AM »

Quote from: 297

Yep, ... It's clear (to me) that in the big brown bag line Paul is refering to economic business ... and surely to Brian ... tho it was an inner joke it was a too clear one for all of them ...

What it's weird to me is that I think that it doesn't fit too much with Paul's writing style at that period ... maybe in 1970-1971 but when they recorded Baby You're A Rich Man Brian was still alive and their business had not been working too well ...

IF it's so it would be very cruel ... but Paul could be -let's say- un-polite when he wanted ... and we know that he was -at least once- with Brian.

the brown bag may refer to eppys suggestion to brown bag pepper too.....

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 02:54:05 AM »

I've always loved the song, too.  I felt that it faded out too quick, just as the chorus was getting very energetic (wow, woh) - I wonder if a longer version exists?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 10:37:52 AM »

Quote from: 828
I've always loved the song, too.  I felt that it faded out too quick, just as the chorus was getting very energetic (wow, woh) - I wonder if a longer version exists?

Not that I've heard. There are several versions available on bootlegs, but they're all around the 3 minute mark. Different mixes, mono, stereo, etc. but nothing earth shattering. It was recorded and mixed in a single day (pretty fast compared to all the Pepper songs it followed) for the Yellow Submarine movie, and as the b-side to All You Need Is Love.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 12:52:07 PM »

Well, maybe someday.  After all, the extended version of "Yellow Submarine" took til 1996 to be available for public consumption (it was the B-side to "Real Love").

BlueMeanie

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 01:51:13 PM »

Quote from: 828
Well, maybe someday.

I wouldn't hold your breath. I think I've heard almost everything worth hearing from that session (recorded in 12 takes) and what you want doesn't exist.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 01:58:04 PM »

the producer, or the engineer, or even the Beatles called for a fade when they did on that song.  Its not extra material, like a verse or spoken dialog that's missing, just the end of the song.  I'm sure it exists.  Just like all the "false starts" exist and what-not.  If they re-release "Baby You're A Rich Man," they could always decide to let the song run a few seconds longer before they fade the song out...

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 05:50:36 PM »

JOHN 1968: "In 'Baby You're a Rich Man' the point was, stop moaning. You're a rich man and we're all rich men, heh, heh, baby!"

JOHN 1980: "That's a combination of two seperate pieces, Paul's and mine, put together and forced into one song. One-half was all mine. (sings) 'How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people/ Now that you know who you are...' Then Paul comes in with, (sings) 'Baby you're a rich man,' which was a lick he had around."

Mick Jagger also came to just stand on the sidelines and watch and listen to The Beatles recording Baby You're A Rich Man in May 1967. Mark Lewisohn says Mick's name is even on the Beatles tape box for this song and that it's feasible he sang at the end verses!

"Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive"

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Baby You're a Rich Man
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 10:46:45 AM »

Is there a story behind this song? I mean, like what inspired it? I know John wrote the bit about "one of the beautiful people" and I always wonder what his motivation was. I've read that he and Paul put two songs together to make this one like they did with ADITL, but what did Paul write then? I mean, cuz isn't it Lennon singing mostly? Plus, I LOVE the intro. Wonder how they did it. I hate it when the high pitch instrument comes in though. It dates it.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Baby You're a Rich Man
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 01:19:28 PM »

Is there a story behind this song? I mean, like what inspired it? I know John wrote the bit about "one of the beautiful people" and I always wonder what his motivation was. I've read that he and Paul put two songs together to make this one like they did with ADITL, but what did Paul write then? I mean, cuz isn't it Lennon singing mostly? Plus, I LOVE the intro. Wonder how they did it. I hate it when the high pitch instrument comes in though. It dates it.

We talked a bit about the song here, http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=5550.0 , apparently Paul's contribution was the "Baby You're a rich man" part.  

That high instrument is a clavioline, a synthesizer forerunner. Apparently John played it by rolling an orange around the keyboard (thinking of Brian, thinking fruity  ;) ?) . Reminds me of the "elbow technique" at Shea!

Here's a little more about the clavioline: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clavioline . Also, some sources have Max Crook playing a modified clavioline on Del Shannon's "Runaway" (also one of my favorite songs!): http://www.delshannon.com/maxmusitron.htm

And here's an older thread about the song itself too: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=4243.0

And, I agree - that intro is so cool - hypnotic, almost pulsating! I wonder how they did it too. I wonder if it's in that book "Recording The Beatles" by that kevin dude - anyone got that tome by any chance? Apple?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 02:34:54 PM by alexis »
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: Baby You're a Rich Man
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2009, 11:50:02 PM »

Thanks Alexis! Guess I should have done a search! Maybe I'll just end up deleting this one. But anyway, I love that song, it's interesting. I'll have to read through the threads to see if you guys talked about the motivation behind the song. As in, did something inspire the lyrics or what were they saying here. Cuz it sounds like they were trying to make a point.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 07:32:45 AM »

No need to delete. I merged them.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2009, 03:15:01 AM »

This song is weirdly psychedelic, but not in the way that Lucy and Tomorrow Never Knows are. The intro is trippy, but the lyrics are just ever so slightly... off. It's an interesting effect.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 64 queries.