Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Quarrymen Song  (Read 8173 times)

Bobber

New Quarrymen Song
« on: October 15, 2008, 03:01:50 PM »

Never Stop Rockin' Rollin'. Downloads here: http://www.thequarrymen.de, but only during the Quarrymen tour in the US in October. A film seems to be coming up next year.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
Re: New Quarrymen Song
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 01:18:14 AM »

Cool! They aren't performing near me though.  :(

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 08:05:18 AM »

50 years after the first and only single-release of the Quarrymen (feat. aswell John Lennon, George Harrison and Paul McCartney) a new single has been released via internet. The song was recorded in Liverpool and GaryLand in 2008 with a little help of some friends...Reason is the recent Quarrymen U.S.-Tour that have started on the 9th October in New York City).

Next year a film will follow that is called "The Quarrymen - The Band that started the Beatles" (filmed in Germany / baltic coast). The song "Never stop Rockin´ Rollin´ " can be donwloaded on www.TheQuarrymen.de (only for the time of the Quarrymen U.S.-Tour in October).

John Lennon's Original Quarrymen - the band who were on stage with John Lennon on Saturday July 6th, 1957 (the day John met Paul McCartney) - got back together in 1997 to celebrate the most momentous meeting in pop music history. They enjoyed themselves so much at that reunion and interest from fans was so great that they decided to re-form the group forty years on!

The current Quarrymen lineup includes three of those five original musicians, - Len Garry, former tea-chest bass player, now playing guitar and replacing Lennon as lead singer, - Rod Davis, from Quarry Bank School, at first the banjo player but now on guitar and Colin Hanton on drums, who played with John, Paul, George and John Duff Lowe on the famous Percy Phillips recording session which produced "In Spite of All the Danger" and "That'll Be the Day" which was featured on the Beatles' "Anthology, Volume 1" CD set.

Anyone knowing their Beatles' history is aware that The Quarrymen eventually evolved into the Beatles. It is precisely their stories of the group's origins and of course the Skiffle and early Rock music that the Quarrymen perform, that draw to their shows not only Beatles' fans, but all those who enjoy the history of the music and of the times.

The other members of the original group were John's lifelong friend, washboard player Pete Shotton, who retired in Dec 2000 for health reasons, and guitarist Eric Griffiths who sadly died in January 2005, but not before thoroughly enjoying several tours with the newly reborn "Pre-Fab Five" - as the New York Post referred to them in 1998 after their gig at the legendary "Bottom Line" in Greenwich Village.

The Quarrymen play the music which influenced the birth of the Beatles, the Skiffle and Rock 'n' Roll of the mid fifties

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 08:16:39 AM »

Excellent. Can't wait for the film. I wonder why the website is german registered. A little help from Tony maybe?

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:10:17 PM »

What's happened to John Duff Lowe then? No mention of him as either a current member of a past member. How very odd indeed!

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 01:13:07 AM »

they didn't start the beatles.....when john and paul met started the beatles...if anybody else had the drive or the talent they had they'd be there at number one...but no one could hold a candle to them....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 01:16:56 AM »

i listened and i don't think the was the direction he was headed with the quarry vehicle....i did enjoy the song however....very where they were then...altho i doubt they all sang collectively...i do not agree that they are the band that started 5he beatles tho...nor should anyone else...

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:15:55 AM »

But it's the band that *became* the Beatles. And that's what's important. Also what's important is that if it weren't for the Quarrymen, it is rather less likely that John and Paul would ever have met.

The band also becomes the Beatles so very gradually that it's hard to draw a line between the two bands anyway.

Lineup: John Lennon, Pete Shotton, Rod Davis, Len Garry, Eric Griffiths, Colin Hanton
Is this the Beatles? Probably not - only one Beatle member.

Lineup: John Lennon, Pete Shotton, Rod Davis, Len Garry, Eric Griffiths, Colin Hanton, Paul McCartney
How about this? Again, maybe not?

Lineup: John Lennon, Rod Davis, Len Garry, Eric Griffiths, Colin Hanton, Paul McCartney
The washboard player's gone! Any more likely yet?

Lineup: John Lennon, Len Garry, Eric Griffiths, Colin Hanton, Paul McCartney
No banjo player. Surely a proto-Beatles by now?

Lineup: John Lennon, Len Garry, Eric Griffiths, Colin Hanton, Paul McCartney, George Harrison
Three Beatles in a band! Still called the Quarrymen, though!

Lineup: John Lennon, Eric Griffiths, Colin Hanton, Paul McCartney, George Harrison
Len's gone! Is it the Beatles yet?

Lineup: John Lennon, Colin Hanton, Paul McCartney, George Harrison
And Eric! How about now?

Lineup: John Lennon, Colin Hanton, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, John Duff Lowe
A pianist! They made a recording like this, y'know!

Lineup: John Lennon, Colin Hanton, Paul McCartney, George Harrison
Now no pianist!

Lineup: John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison
And now the drummer's gone. Is it the Beatles yet?

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 12:34:13 PM »

THE QUARRYMEN (pre-Beatles) release their first single for over 50 years - Never stop Rockin Rollin (TIN BOX)
In 1958 "The Quarrymen" (The Band that started The Beatles) recorded their first single which now is one of the most valuable of all times. Today it belongs to Sir Paul McCartney. On the occasion of the "Star-Club TV" series production (part 1) the Quarrymen once more went to a studio and recorded the title song "Never stop Rockin Rollin" as the next single - exactly 50 years later. Along with the current Quarrymen line-up there were as well special quest-musicians. The other title of this single is a live version of "Twenty Flight Rock". The CD (retro-vinyl-design) is available at www.GaryLand.de and will be delivered in a 4-colour printed tin box. "Never stop Rockin Rollin" can be downloaded aswell and is available as a zipfile (WinRAR).

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 10:16:13 PM »

i wish them well...they deserve a comfortable retirement... :(

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 08:06:16 AM »

Quote from: 284
i wish them well...they deserve a comfortable retirement... :(

Didn't they get some royalties after the inclusion of That'll Be The Day and In Spite Of All The Danger on the Anthology series?

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 10:13:38 AM »

yeah but that doesn't amount to much...ken brown is playing the casbah coffe club 50th anniversary...http://www.merseycats.com/Casbah.html...redux is going...and he is meeting some of the others from the pete best forum there...hopefully concerts like this are on the rise and paychecks will come to those deserving...the undertakers are playing that show too...as are the mersey cats...arty probally knows all about it...

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 07:19:22 AM »

Quote from: 284
yeah but that doesn't amount to much...

Not sure about that. How many songs with Pete Best are included? I read he became a millionaire after that.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 10:14:04 AM »

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »

Blimey! What a great picture! I have never seen that one before!

I seem to recall that Mark Lewisohn mentions a gig from the back of a truck, but I don't think at was the Woolton Fete gig. I think it's earlier than that. Will have to check that.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 10:32:25 AM »

always looking for new info about the old days... ;D i think there might be something wrong with us...down size it and post it if you want..my computer is messing up..

Bobber

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 10:38:42 AM »

Bobber

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 11:06:17 AM »

This is said to be from the Woolton fete. It doesn't look like the back of the truck. On the other hand all the guys seems to be wearing the same shirt.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 12:39:57 PM »

this is wha's on the truck door

Bobber

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 12:48:17 PM »

According to Chazz Avery, this picture (with the Quarrymen obviously on the back of a truck) is from Saturday, June 22nd 1957 at Rosebery Street, Liverpool.

But note that the guys are wearing different shirts here. I assume that they didn't have stage clothes at that time.

So, this pic (here without the black lines pointing out who is who), is from the day John and Paul met.

Chazz suggests 'The photo was surely taken sometime between 2:00-3:00pm during the procession to the fete. According to the programme... "leaves Church Road, via Allerton Rd, Kings Drive, Hunt's Cross Ave; returning to the church field"
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 71 queries.