Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 25107 times)

Mean_Mr_Mustard

• Getting Better
Religion
« on: February 10, 2006, 05:53:18 AM »

I am not trying to start a Debate on which religion is right or wrong, I just think it is interesting to know peoples beliefs.

I am myself am Agnostic, We can never know if there is a God or not so why worry about it? Also I dont like the idea of Faith, believing in something with no evidence.

What are your religious views, if any?  ;)

Bobber

Re: Religion
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 09:00:00 AM »

I quit on religion. Too many people have been killed (and still are) because of religion and in the name of a god. I might turn to Buddhism however. I saw a documentary by Michael Palin the other day. Buddhist monks were discussing subject from their religion, because Buddha had said not to accept blindly what he had said. There's a lot of religions that can learn something of that. It's kinda peaceful anyway.
And further: like almost everybody does, religious people take from their books (bible, koran or whatever) what suits them best personally. For example: homophobic as muslims are, they always tell that there's a lot of virgins waiting for them in heaven after they've become a martyr. They don't tell that there's also a little boy waiting for them... There's no denying, I am reading the koran at the moment. Not to become a muslim, but to try to understand and to make an opinion of my own.
As for believing in faith, believing in something with no evidence... I think there's no life if there's no faith. I believe in the inner light, I have faith that this place can be a better place. I meditate to find the peace within myself. That is my religion.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 09:34:13 AM »

I am totally godless but have no problem with people having faith. I think it's very easy being middle-class educated affluent westerners to get snooty about faith, but it seems to mean a lot to a lot of people. Maybe when you having nothing else..?

Religion is a different matter. It's played such a huge part in the human story that I can't dismiss it. We must have it for a reason and I can't see how we will get rid of it. I think humanity would be a bit poorer  without it.

But maybe it has served its day - we no longer need it to explain the world or bond us together. But personaly I find the Big Bang theory as ludicrous as any creationist story. Have a quick read of basic molecular biology. Science has had to ammend the laws of physics (sometimes outright flout them)  to accomodate the mysterious goings on of atoms. And the same is going on an attempt to explain the bigger things as well. Quarks, string theoiry, dark matter and energy have never been seen, let alone tested. Maybe there are somethings us humans will just never know.

But there is one reason why for me science will always win over religion. When presented with a basic problem for which there is no real evidence, such as "how did the universe begin?", science will say "we don't know, but here's three competing theories for you to check out."   Religion says "we don't know so it must be God."
And that's just plain silly.

But still, it plays on my mind that after everything, Newton, Einstein, Man on the Moon, Dna, global warming,The Spice Girls, the biggest concern for the human race right now is God. Still. Forty thousand years later. I don't know what that says, but it's someything big.
Amen.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 01:01:03 PM »

I'm Christian. I respect everyone's beliefs.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 12:03:20 AM »

i was raised as catholic *insert preist molestaion joke...sadly i've heard them all* but i've become really liberal in my beliefs, but at the same time, i use reasoning instead of belief in the divine. i respect the beliefs of others but i also wish to see a world where religion doesnt play such a big role in how society makes decisions. i dont care for what your personal beliefs are, but i would just like to see the world a better place with a society that doesnt have religious dominance as one of their top prioities in life.

...sadly it is very doubtful it will ever happen, at least in my lifetime...
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 01:56:21 AM »

I'm a Christian!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 07:06:14 AM »

It seems a lot of people have lost their faith. Wonder how that happened. It's sort of a reflection on our society these days. I'm not sure myself. Which is sad. I can't commit either way it seems. But I'm through saying I don't believe. Who am I to assume that?

Old joke:
Did you know there's an atheist holiday? April 1st!

"An atheist is a man who looks through a telescope and tries to explain what he can

Mean_Mr_Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 10:43:55 AM »

It amazes me to find an intelligent person who fights against something which he does not at all believe exists. --Mohandas Gandhi

The thing about that is, when someone comes up with the idea that there is a God (After all you have to come up with it, if you were born and no one ever said anything about God would you believe in it?) People are going to try and prove them wrong. But it dosnt really make sense since the burden of prove lies on the person who makes the claim.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 02:29:18 PM »

Live and let live I always say. If someone wants to be an atheist, fine. If they want to believe in something, that's fine too. I have met a lot of really anti-religious people (including a close friend of mine) and it amazes me some of the things they will say. A lot of generalization goes on when it comes to religion and I don't like that.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 03:28:12 PM »

i think alot of the convertion to barely or no religion is in a large part due to current society. between the diehard religious people making headlines and the cases such as terry schivo and the whole evolution thing, to the mass riots in the mid-east over the cartoons on a danish newspaper. there just isnt a real respect for other religions anymore on a large scale.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 12:04:11 AM »

Quote from: Mean_Mr_Mustard
It amazes me to find an intelligent person who fights against something which he does not at all believe exists. --Mohandas Gandhi

The thing about that is, when someone comes up with the idea that there is a God (After all you have to come up with it, if you were born and no one ever said anything about God would you believe in it?) People are going to try and prove them wrong. But it dosnt really make sense since the burden of prove lies on the person who makes the claim.

You miss the point. It's not about proof, it's about faith.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 02:43:54 AM »

You ask me to prove that God exists. Well, prove to me that He doesn't exist.

thefadedline

• A Beginning
  • I'm an idler's dream
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 12:56:35 PM »

Nobody can prove 'he' exists or doesn't exist because 'he' is based on everyday things anyway. If something amazing happens it is considered a miracle to someone with faith, and just lucky to someone without.

I believe in nothing really and have no faith in any kind of higher being. But I think people who do, there is nothing wrong with it. If it takes away the fear of death and other things, because they have something to believe in, then it is fine!

I agree completely with Kevin. I think the idea of some 'thing' constructing a universe in 6-7 days, quite funny.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 02:53:12 PM »

I believe there might be some force or something that may be too complex for humans to understand.
But being brought up as a Christian, I agree with the basics of Do not kill etc etc - because that's common sense isn't it.
 But the other stuff like Heaven + Adam and Eve and God being the sole creator of the world, to me, is a tad easy.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 06:39:51 PM »

As Rumi said: As God is infinite, there are an infinite number of paths to God.  

I am a Christian largely because that was the path in which I was born and because the message of sacrifice and transcendence still rings true to me.  

But I find much in Sufism, Buddhism, Hinduism and animism that interests me and augments my Christian faith.

I guess for myself, the ultimate mistake would be to look at the overwhelming number of paths to God and not take any one.  Of course, maybe not taking a path is a path too.

I guess the whole purpose of life here is to learn how to love--unconditionally.  I think John, George, Paul and Ringo all realized this and that's one reason why we still listen to and revere their music this many years later.  

I love Dylan's music, but it's amazing how generally finger-pointing, pessimistic and hatefilled it is by comparison.  Even in his "Jesus" phase, he did alot of finger-pointing.  Where's the love, Bob?

I think John said it well: "Why are we here/surely not to live in pain and fear/why are you there/when you're everywhere/come on take your share."

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 07:40:56 PM »

Quote from: thefadedline
Nobody can prove 'he' exists or doesn't exist because 'he' is based on everyday things anyway. If something amazing happens it is considered a miracle to someone with faith, and just lucky to someone without.

I believe in nothing really and have no faith in any kind of higher being. But I think people who do, there is nothing wrong with it. If it takes away the fear of death and other things, because they have something to believe in, then it is fine!

I agree completely with Kevin. I think the idea of some 'thing' constructing a universe in 6-7 days, quite funny.

Well, if you're going to take it that literally...

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 12:45:16 AM »

I don't know what to believe in really. I think it's possible there is a higher power and, if so, there are morals I need to abide by, but I don't trust organized religions anymore to tell me what these rules to living are. I think a lot of outside influences and attempts at being fashionable for possible converts have doctored the original message of these religions, so I just follow my own conscience. I don't believe in dogmas cause they don't allow change and these rigid dogmas have caused more harm than good. Whether or not there is a God shouldn't matter; we should live as good people, regardless.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 01:08:51 AM »

religion's, if you were to look at most of them, generally are exactly the same. there is one big "god" with other lesser ones, (in paganism, lesser gods and in christiananity the angels) and then after that you have the demi-gods (such as the classical heros or the christian saints).

its really sad to see something like the hatred between jews, christians and muslums when essentially they are all the same if not, very very similar religions all derived from the same place.

Mean_Mr_Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 05:41:31 AM »

Quote from: Mairi
You ask me to prove that God exists. Well, prove to me that He doesn't exist.

That was my point, The burden of proof is on the person who makes the claim. When you are born you are Atheist you dont know anything about God until someone tells you about it. Someone had to make a claim that there was a God.

I know the point of Religion is faith, I am only saying if a religious person says "Prove there isnt a God"

Mean_Mr_Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 05:43:18 AM »

Quote from: somedude210
religion's, if you were to look at most of them, generally are exactly the same. there is one big "god" with other lesser ones, (in paganism, lesser gods and in christiananity the angels) and then after that you have the demi-gods (such as the classical heros or the christian saints).

its really sad to see something like the hatred between jews, christians and muslums when essentially they are all the same if not, very very similar religions all derived from the same place.

Yeah its very sad. Since infact Christianity and Islam are both derived from Judaism.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.531 seconds with 86 queries.