Other forums > Current Affairs

Putin's threat - nuclear??

(1/5) > >>

Loco Mo:
"In his speech early Thursday morning, Feb 24-2022, Moscow time, Putin announced what he called a “special military operation” and issued a stark warning against Western intervention. “No matter who tries to stand in our way or all the more so create threats for our country and our people, they must know that Russia will respond immediately, and the consequences will be such as you have never seen in your entire history” he said, in remarks officially translated by the Kremlin that seemed to leave little doubt as to the threat of nuclear retaliation.

21st Century history unfolding.  I don't know what to think.  I've always believed, as most people do, that MAD won't happen because of its murder-suicide consequence.  Nuke and you get nuked - no winners, all losers.

Dmitry:
I don't believe this can happen. I think only cowards can talk like that. He is very scared. He is very afraid of being interrupted during “special military operation”. That's why he talks in this way. These are my thoughts right now on your question in the topic. And as far as I concern NATO is not going to attack Russia.

Loco Mo:
Dmitry:  I take this to mean that you think he is "bluffing."  All I can say is that I feel a high degree of uncertainty about this prospect.  There are "words of war" and "actions of war."  I think there is a thin line separating the two.  Too much in one direction could inadvertently fuel a dangerous imbalance between what is actually said and what actually occurs.  There are so many elements that influence and cause various human behaviors.  It may not even be Putin's threat that escalates into uncharted territory.  Other participants in war may play their highest valued or only perceived card if they feel threatened enough or defeated without hope of any kind of win or recompense for their losses.  People who are attacked, injured and hurt cannot be expected to respond in a rational intelligently thought-out manner depending upon the degree of the crisis and its unforeseeable resolution or conclusion.  Maybe I'm being a bit obstruse here, but I am afraid to think or overthink about the worst-case scenario too much.

nimrod:
Military involvement by NATO must be the very last resort, ie, if Russia actually attacks a NATO country.

What's happening in Ukraine is awful. A war between NATO and Russia would be immeasurably worse. A conventional war would have only one outcome... a crushing defeat for Russia. Then, when all is lost for them there is only one military option left for Russia and that leads effectively to the end of civilisation as we know it.

Hello Goodbye:

--- Quote from: Loco Mo on February 26, 2022, 08:41:22 PM ---Dmitry:  I take this to mean that you think he is "bluffing."  All I can say is that I feel a high degree of uncertainty about this prospect.  There are "words of war" and "actions of war."  I think there is a thin line separating the two.  Too much in one direction could inadvertently fuel a dangerous imbalance between what is actually said and what actually occurs.  There are so many elements that influence and cause various human behaviors.  It may not even be Putin's threat that escalates into uncharted territory.  Other participants in war may play their highest valued or only perceived card if they feel threatened enough or defeated without hope of any kind of win or recompense for their losses.  People who are attacked, injured and hurt cannot be expected to respond in a rational intelligently thought-out manner depending upon the degree of the crisis and its unforeseeable resolution or conclusion.  Maybe I'm being a bit obstruse here, but I am afraid to think or overthink about the worst-case scenario too much.

--- End quote ---

Loco, you're being both obtuse and abstruse.  Do you really feel that people under attack cannot respond in a rational fashion?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version