Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bigger Than Jesus  (Read 11037 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Bigger Than Jesus
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 01:34:58 AM »

According to John people should have been calling his name out when that happens.  ;D

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 08:35:49 PM »

First of all, John didn't say that the Beatles were "bigger" than Jesus, he said that the Beatles were more "popular", just as a fact as he could have said "television is more popular than Jesus" (this is from his own words). He didn't even mean that it was something good, he was just saying that most of people in the world don't follow Jesus, and that's true, that's why the world is going so bad. So that poll only confirms that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus, but never bigger. After all, we live in the year 2011 after Jesus Christ and not in 48 after the Beatles or 71 after John Lennon.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 10:35:48 AM »

First of all, John didn't say that the Beatles were "bigger" than Jesus, he said that the Beatles were more "popular", just as a fact as he could have said "television is more popular than Jesus" (this is from his own words). He didn't even mean that it was something good, he was just saying that most of people in the world don't follow Jesus, and that's true, that's why the world is going so bad. So that poll only confirms that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus, but never bigger. After all, we live in the year 2011 after Jesus Christ and not in 48 after the Beatles or 71 after John Lennon.

"More popular" "Bigger than"

Same thing.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 03:44:06 PM »

"More popular" "Bigger than"

Same thing.

Not for me and not for John too. When he explained his words he said the he didn't mean to say that the Beatles were bigger or better than Jesus or God, he just said that they were more popular, as a fact.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 02:05:47 AM »

The Beatles - Popular than Jesus

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 02:39:17 AM »

Here's a link to the original article written by Maureen Cleave for the London Evening Standard, 4 March 1966:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/pob/pob24.html

Experience has sown few seeds of doubt in him: not that his mind is closed, but it's closed round whatever he believes at the time. 'Christianity will go,' he said. 'It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first-rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.' He is reading extensively about religion.

I can stay till it's time to go

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 03:57:45 AM »

Here's a link to the original article written by Maureen Cleave for the London Evening Standard, 4 March 1966:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/pob/pob24.html

Experience has sown few seeds of doubt in him: not that his mind is closed, but it's closed round whatever he believes at the time. 'Christianity will go,' he said. 'It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first-rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.' He is reading extensively about religion.

Yes, he was talking about the fall of Christianity, or the diminution of the number of Christian people, and used the Beatles as an example, but he didn't mean that it was something good or something to be happy for. He was just talking about a fact, a sad fact.

John also said this in his Playboy interview in 1980, a couple of months before he was killed:

"People always got the image I was an anti-Christ or antireligion. I'm not. I'm a most religious fellow. I was brought up a Christian and I only now understand some of the things that Christ was saying in those parables. Because people got hooked on the teacher and missed the message."

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/dbjypb.int3.html
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:11:26 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 09:48:07 PM »

It struck me as particularly perceptive of Maureen Cleave to say that John's mind 'closed round whatever he believes at the time'.  Primal scream therapy, political issues, feminism, oh yes and Maharishi.....
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »

Beatles ever bigger as jesus  poor american people ;yes

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 08:23:42 AM »

Yes, he was talking about the fall of Christianity, or the diminution of the number of Christian people, and used the Beatles as an example, but he didn't mean that it was something good or something to be happy for. He was just talking about a fact, a sad fact.

John also said this in his Playboy interview in 1980, a couple of months before he was killed:

"People always got the image I was an anti-Christ or antireligion. I'm not. I'm a most religious fellow. I was brought up a Christian and I only now understand some of the things that Christ was saying in those parables. Because people got hooked on the teacher and missed the message."

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/dbjypb.int3.html
the thing is,you cannot really compare the u.k with the u.s.a as a religious place,the u.s.a are(and were)far more religious than us brits are (and were).now john always said he was relating this to england,did he not?and i think for england he has since been proved right...i would easily hazard a guess that there were more households with a beatle l.p than there were houses that owned a bible.i think what john said was a fact...'we are more popular than jesus'.although it did cause a lot of bother.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 03:12:56 PM »

the thing is,you cannot really compare the u.k with the u.s.a as a religious place,the u.s.a are(and were)far more religious than us brits are (and were).now john always said he was relating this to england,did he not?and i think for england he has since been proved right...i would easily hazard a guess that there were more households with a beatle l.p than there were houses that owned a bible.i think what john said was a fact...'we are more popular than jesus'.although it did cause a lot of bother.

Yes, that's all true, but there's a big difference between saying "more popular than" and "bigger than"; John never meant that the Beatles were greater that Jesus and he explained it correctly.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 04:17:24 PM »

Yes, that's all true, but there's a big difference between saying "more popular than" and "bigger than"; John never meant that the Beatles were greater that Jesus and he explained it correctly.

Yes he did, Nowhere Man.  I agree.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »

It struck me as particularly perceptive of Maureen Cleave to say that John's mind 'closed round whatever he believes at the time'.  Primal scream therapy, political issues, feminism, oh yes and Maharishi.....

She sized him up well, didn't she.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 05:53:04 PM »

Yes he did, Nowhere Man.  I agree.

Ok, Hola AdiĆ³s. :)

ilovegeorge78

• A Beginning
  • No need for Judo Chopping Ringo,George!
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »

The Beatles were bigger than Jesus, except Ringo, who was slightly smaller.
Lol,that's so ean...but KINDA true.... ;yes
All the world's a birthday cake,so take a piece but not too much.-George Harrison
Imagine theres no heaven-John Lennon
MAYBE IM AMAZEED!!!-Paul McCartney
I wanna be your MAN!-Ringo Starr
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.669 seconds with 79 queries.