Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Two Of Us  (Read 10752 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Song Of The Week - Two Of Us
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 04:15:56 AM »

Perhaps she bet them that they couldn't make her laugh. I think she won.  ;)

But I think she liked that song.  She covered it recently...

Yoko Ono Screaming at Art Show! (Original)
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 04:21:23 AM »

But I think she liked that song.  She covered it recently...

Yoko Ono Screaming at Art Show! (Original)

I'm too scared to even listen!

nimrod

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 08:40:06 AM »

Interesting Kevin. I always kind of dismissed the notion that this song could be about any pair other than Paul and John. I will buy that Paul and Linda's experiences were the inspiration but I still think his waning relationship with John figured in. Maybe this has nothing to do with it but it seems like John's essential harmonies are in the song for a reason.  :)

For some reason Beatle fans WANT it to be a nice cuddly song about Paul & John :D

But it isnt, John was writing songs about Yoko and Paul was writing songs about Linda, they were all sick of the Beatles (even Ringo)

John was very good at harmonising with Paul singing the main melody (If I Fell/Love Me Do etc) and I think he enjoyed doing it on this song, it was one of Johns strengths.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:41:44 AM by nimrod »

nimrod

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 08:51:21 AM »

there is a strong resemblance between the melody that John is whistling at the end of this song and the "heba heba hello" chants at the end of Hello Goodbye?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:17:47 PM by nimrod »

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
  • Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 09:16:23 PM »

For some reason Beatle fans WANT it to be a nice cuddly song about Paul & John :D

But it isnt, John was writing songs about Yoko and Paul was writing songs about Linda, they were all sick of the Beatles (even Ringo)

But if fans want to see 'Two of Us' as a song about John & Paul, that's okay. Even if Paul McCartney walked up to me today and said, "you berk, that song is about me and Linda and that's it", I wouldn't care, I'd still see it as a song about the past relationship between Paul and John in addition. Very often people are going to take your songs different ways than you originally intended. I know that from personal experience.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2013, 11:13:12 PM »

But if fans want to see 'Two of Us' as a song about John & Paul, that's okay. Even if Paul McCartney walked up to me today and said, "you berk, that song is about me and Linda and that's it", I wouldn't care, I'd still see it as a song about the past relationship between Paul and John in addition. Very often people are going to take your songs different ways than you originally intended. I know that from personal experience.
Us fans who were teenagers at the time really had no idea they were about to break up! So why wouldn't it seem to be about J&P. If it is about Linda so be it but...
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 11:26:29 PM »

Us fans who were teenagers at the time really had no idea they were about to break up! So why wouldn't it seem to be about J&P. If it is about Linda so be it but...

Yes I think every Beatle fan thought it was about J & P Dave, as you say, why wouldnt they ?

I always loved the idea they wrote it together.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 03:14:36 AM »

We knew as early as the fall of 1969 that The Beatles had broken up.  I remember reading Paul McCartney's interview in a November 1969 issue of LIFE magazine where he confirmed their breakup.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 03:23:11 AM »

I first heard Two Of Us when I bought the Let It Be album on its release in May 1970.  I saw the movie that summer.  I knew the songs on the album were recorded before The Beatles split up.  I bought the McCartney album a month before, in April. 

I thought the song was about Paul and Linda when I first heard it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 03:24:08 AM »

I'm too scared to even listen!

Save it for Halloween!   ;D

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 03:11:52 PM »

We knew as early as the fall of 1969 that The Beatles had broken up.  I remember reading Paul McCartney's interview in a November 1969 issue of LIFE magazine where he confirmed their breakup.

That's the article that first clued me in to any problems!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »

I love that in the early electric version John and Paul share 3 or 4 sincere "fun" moments between them.  Despite the ill feelings at that point, there was enough still under the covers to fall back into the good parts of the relationship "by accident".

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »

I love that in the early electric version John and Paul share 3 or 4 sincere "fun" moments between them.  Despite the ill feelings at that point, there was enough still under the covers to fall back into the good parts of the relationship "by accident".

Right.  For a brief moment there they were a band, playing and goofing around like they did before they were fab.  They were having fun!

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »

I wish they had made a full and proper rocking version of this, even as an outtake. A lot of times I find myself preferring the original intent over the polished version, even though this IS a very good song in its own right.  Hey we have multiple Revolution's, right?  glassesslip

I always thought the song was about 2 people, not anyone in particular. Coming from a songwriting point of view, sometimes you just think of events that might happen in someones life. Most likely, it's Paul and Linda but, perhaps reaching for or thinking of a line, McCartney might think of an event or an idea from his past, like the "You and I have memories" line.

So it might be a little of both.

"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 12:52:01 AM »

I always thought the song was about 2 people, not anyone in particular. Coming from a songwriting point of view, sometimes you just think of events that might happen in someones life. Most likely, it's Paul and Linda but, perhaps reaching for or thinking of a line, McCartney might think of an event or an idea from his past, like the "You and I have memories" line.

So it might be a little of both.

I'm convinced since quite a long time ago that your own interpretation of a lyric is the one that really matters to you, beyond the original intention of the songwriter. As John said about himself, the artist is just a medium.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 01:06:43 AM »

For six years we looked forward to The Ed Sullivan Show to see The Beatles' latest releases.  This was their final appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show...

The Beatles-Two Of Us (The Ed Sullivan Show March 01 1970)

1 March 1970

They looked tired...and they were going home.

nimrod

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 02:18:31 AM »

I'm convinced since quite a long time ago that your own interpretation of a lyric is the one that really matters to you, beyond the original intention of the songwriter. As John said about himself, the artist is just a medium.

Songwriters look for things to write songs about constantly...

John buys an poster with interesting words and writes 'Mr Kite'

Paul remembers going on Sunday drives with Linda to see if they can get lost, and writes a song about it

but for the listener it can be about whatever you want.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 03:50:07 AM »

for the listener it can be about whatever you want.

This thread illustrates that point:  http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=5322.msg115511#msg115511

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 04:11:15 AM »

Songwriters look for things to write songs about constantly...

John buys an poster with interesting words and writes 'Mr Kite'

Paul remembers going on Sunday drives with Linda to see if they can get lost, and writes a song about it

but for the listener it can be about whatever you want.

Yes, I think so. I write songs too and something inspires me to start a lyric, but then the words come alone and complete it, perhaps with a different sense than the original intention. So I always think about the original inspiration when I think about my song, but I still know that it can be read in a different way.

One curious song for me is "Triad", written by David Crosby when he was with the Byrds. The song is really about polygamy, starting with the line "You want to know how it will be, me and her or you and me". But when I hear the version by Jefferson Airplane, sung by Grace Slick, she sings "You want to know how it will be, me and him or you and me"; it has a different meaning to me. I think about the "triad" formed by Woman-Man-Jesus in every Christian marriage.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2021, 12:38:06 AM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUbhj45mCA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUbhj45mCA</a>

;D

Paul ultimately had his way...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDPc3fewcE8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDPc3fewcE8</a>

You better believe it
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 1.354 seconds with 86 queries.