Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vinegar Joe  (Read 1834 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Vinegar Joe
« on: November 04, 2008, 03:11:27 PM »

"Vinegar Joe " anyone remember this group from the 70's , i was just listening to Robert Palmer's Addicted To Love and i remembered he was in this group with Elkie Brooks , so i had a look on Youtube and i'm gobsmacked at how good they where .
Elkie Brooks should have been as big as Janis Joplin what a great rock/blues voice ?and Robert Palmer and the whole group are dam good , i'm going to track down a cd of this group .
What do you think of them ?

Ride Me Easy - Vinegar Joe
M7CXXDBn_l4

Proud To Be A Honky Women - Vinegar Joe
HPED5-u_i88

BlueMeanie

Re: Vinegar Joe
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 03:23:49 PM »

I saw them years ago when I was barely 16. Must have been just before they split up. Rock 'n' Roll Gypsies is the one to get, it's also the only one to get the remaster treatment so far. Shame there isn't a Live at the BBC CD.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:37:57 PM »

Oh yes...........I remember them.  And Robert Palmer.  Too bad he's not here anymore............... :'(

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 03:44:09 PM »

Quote from: 483
I saw them years ago when I was barely 16. Must have been just before they split up. Rock 'n' Roll Gypsies is the one to get, it's also the only one to get the remaster treatment so far. Shame there isn't a Live at the BBC CD.

Thanks Paul for the CD recommendation will track that down .
Was'nt Elkie Brooks one of the support acts on one of the early Beatles Tour's ?
She's much better in this group than the soft MOR hits she had later in the UK  .
Lucky you seeing them live , i think their great  that note she hits at the end of Ride Me Easy is bloody unbelievable  ?
(thumbsup)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:37:21 AM »

I will also be tracking down 'RnR Gypsies'. I liked what I heard. Thanks for the introduction DaveR and thanks for the recommendation Paul.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 01:52:40 AM »

Quote from: 373
I will also be tracking down 'RnR Gypsies'. I liked what I heard. Thanks for the introduction DaveR and thanks for the recommendation Paul.

Their very good i think , hard to believe they did'nt make it big .
Elkie Brooks made her first record in 1964 , but did'nt have a hit until 1977 , but by then she had been pushed into the MOR market .
Her and Robert had a really good sound going on in Vinegar Joe, i'm well impressed .
Another one overlooked like Nick Drake .

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 02:58:25 AM »

Quote from: 971
Another one overlooked like Nick Drake .

A friend of mine that hooks me up with music recommendations is a Nick Drake fanatic. I have never heard anything from him though to be honest. Guess i'll explore some of his stuff soon too.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 03:15:52 AM »

Riverman is my fave and a good start I reckon TK. I'm not a huge fan but just in that song alone, his voice is enchanting.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 09:06:09 AM »

Looked on the HMV website and Vinegar Joe's last album "Six Star General" (1973) as been Digitally Remastered , it was reissued 5/5/2008 , so that's two out of their three albums that have been remastered .

"Six Star General"

Track list :

1) Proud To Be A (Honky Women)
2) Food For Thought
3) Dream My Own Dreams
4) Lady Of The Rain
5) Stay True To Yourself
6) Smoke Rising From The Calunet
7) Giving Yourself Away
8) Talkin' 'Bout My Baby
9) Let Me Down Easy
10) Fine Thing

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 09:23:42 AM »

Quote from: 373

A friend of mine that hooks me up with music recommendations is a Nick Drake fanatic. I have never heard anything from him though to be honest. Guess i'll explore some of his stuff soon too.

He's brilliant Todd , i discovered him about 12 month back his first album "Five Leaves Left "(1970) is now one of my all time favourite albums.
 River Man is on this album .
It's a stunning debut album , hard to believe it only sold around 4,000 copies when it was released .

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 01:35:03 AM »

I wonder if the name "Vinegar Joe" had anything to do with their lack of success?

Not too many rock bands named for WWII generals.  No Swinging Pattons.  Or Rommel and the Desert Rats.  Or General McArthur's Corn-Cob Pipe.  Or Monty Python's Flying Circus.  

Hey wait . . . .   But no, they were a comedy act.

But here's a band named after Vinegar Joe Stilwell.  Of the Burmese theatre.  Four-star bastard.  Not six.

Oh well.

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 62 queries.