Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yellow Submarine Songtrack  (Read 4622 times)

Yellow Submarine Songtrack
« on: July 07, 2005, 04:35:14 AM »

This may have been a topic before, but I just bought this to have in the collection. Wanted to see wot yer thoughts were, if any, about the quality, whether it was necessary or just another product to sell, etc.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
Re: Yellow Submarine Songtrack
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 06:49:28 AM »

Well, of course all true fans must own everything, so you have to have it, jfarm! Did you get CD or vinyl?

The remix of the songs on this album leaves me a little cold, I have to admit. It's not that they are bad - on the contrary, the remixing has been done with care and taste (if that's the right word). I just can't get excited over them.

The whole re-issue of Yellow Sub (film) and the new "songtrack" was pretty underwhelming. I was in the UK at the time, and the whole project barely created a ripple. I have a feeling that the market-for-remixes was being tested with this album. Apple had another go with LIBNaked, and the response was likewise lukewarm. What they SHOULD be doing of course, is REMASTERING the Fab catalogue. It sure needs it!

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 04:37:43 PM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn
Well, of course all true fans must own everything, so you have to have it, jfarm! Did you get CD or vinyl?

The remix of the songs on this album leaves me a little cold, I have to admit. It's not that they are bad - on the contrary, the remixing has been done with care and taste (if that's the right word). I just can't get excited over them.

What they SHOULD be doing of course, is REMASTERING the Fab catalogue. It sure needs it!

Agreed. I bought the CD the other day. I'm on the trip from hell in Seattle for one month for the company I work for, and my rental car got stolen along with the CDs I brought along for the trip. I had some cool Stones boots and the Beatles compilations that I put together among other things, but I can't live without music so I thought I'd buy the Songtrack (being the completist that I am). You're absolutely right, they should be remastering the entire catalog. I just don't understand why, especially with a catalog this priceless, that everything is done so half-assed.

lennring

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 04:47:09 PM »

isnt it just like a weird version of a greatest hits cd?
lalelalelal.....beatles rule! john lennon-1980

"double fantasy"

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 08:16:58 PM »

Quote from: lennring
isnt it just like a weird version of a greatest hits cd?

No. It's all the songs that were used in the Yellow Sub film. Even if only a snippet was in the film, you get the complete song on this album. The songs have been remixed.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 12:39:13 AM »

I sort of agree - the whole re-mastering of the Yellow Submarine film wasn't particularly received with the fanfare Apple was expecting but I think the re-mixes ARE pretty exciting, just listen to the difference in quality of Hey Bulldog for example. That track now really seems to kick! Eleanor Rigby sounds great too - this is basically the re-mixed instrumental Anthology version with a cleaned up vocal track added! Lucy In The Sky sounds closer to the original mono mix and even Yellow Submarine has John's shouted responses restored to the mix.

I could go on (and very often do!), but, in summary, I think it's a great album and hopefully a tase of things to come!

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 12:49:02 AM »

If the original tracks were not remixed, but simply remastered, I think you would be amazed at how good they are. Remember your ears are hearing two things on Yellow Sub Songtrack: remixing, and remastering. I think the remastering is what brings Bulldog up, to be honest.

But it IS hard to say. The thing I find annoying about remixes is that most seem pretty mechanical. Mixing has fashions, and Martin and crew followed some fashions in their day, and - yes - set some too. Remixing to fix up little glitches (of which there are many, yes) seems a wee bit pointless.

Basically, I want the original stereo mixes (and mono mixes up to White) in state of the art sound quality. Bugger remixing - souless fiddling for jaded ears ....

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 02:33:29 AM »

I never EVER thought I would prefer a mono mix to a stereo, but Sgt. Peppers is just so incredible in Mono. Those Dr. Ebbets mixes of Pepper and the White Album were some of the best investments I've made in awhile. Also the German Stereo Hor Zu versions of 'Please Please Me' and 'Magical Mystery Tour'. I like the beefiness of the Yellow Sub Songtrack, just wish they'd put their energies once and for all, into taking care of the catalog.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 02:53:01 AM »

Yes, mono Pepper is a wonderful listening experience. When I bought a CD-recorder a few years ago, I started transferring my vinyl onto CD (doing my own Ebbets needledrops!). I was blown away by the mono Pepper, as I hadn't played my mono vinyl for years: my ears were in the habit of the stereo CD, and had forgotten that mono gem. Superb!

Mono white album is also good, but I prefer the stereo version I have to say. The pull of the mono White is in the different mixes: eg, Guitar Gently, Piggies, Helter Skelter, etc etc.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 02:56:07 AM »

About the Ebbets needledrops in general. I can understand their pull on the fans. I always listen to my vinyl-transfers-to-CD, rather than my commercial CD copies of the Beatles' work. Those awful 1987 CD issues of the Beatles work should be an embarrassment to Apple, but they don't really seem to know or care.

As jfarm says, just wish they'd put their energies once and for all, into taking care of the catalog.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 02:25:44 AM »

No. It's all the songs that were used in the Yellow Sub film. Even if only a snippet was in the film, you get the complete song on this album. The songs have been remixed.

this freak is looking for his dick,dont listen to him!

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 04:54:21 AM »

Quote from: kelloggss

Amazing what some people will say!

Sitting on a corn-flake waiting for the van to come ... ;D

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 05:26:07 AM »

Kellogg's post doesn't make any sense. A new predator.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 05:48:46 AM »

Yellow matter custard dripping from a dead Ydolls eye...

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 05:49:43 AM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm

Kellogg's post doesn't make any sense. A new predator.

No,and I would never sack someone out of the blue like that fruit.

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005, 05:57:45 AM »

Quote from: kelloggss

What did he say that was wrong, Adolph?

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 06:51:27 PM »

whatever. getting back to the original topic, i think the first yellow submarine album was better because that has songs that you couldnt get in any other album except YS and All you need is love. but the scores do have some goodness to them since they are beatles and the music is cool to listen to. stick with the originals.

We all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 02:26:02 PM »

People do get on my back because of that song, numerous abusive terms are used to describe it. I just say it's the best song about a yellow submarine I've ever heard.

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 03:43:02 PM »

what the hells kellogs goin on about?

Bobber

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 04:40:20 PM »

Quote from: lennonlegend
What the hells kellogs goin on about?

Never mind. Kellogs has turned into crumbles.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 75 queries.