Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The most awe inspiring place you've been  (Read 9444 times)

nimrod

The most awe inspiring place you've been
« on: September 04, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »

Id never been to Sydney and I was visiting our head office in a Sydney suburb, after work I got a taxi into the Rocks area of the City.
I told the driver I wanted to see the Opera house etc so he dropped me off at the end of a little street and said, just walk down that street and check out the view, I walked down between the buildings and there suddenly it was, Sydney Harbour down below in all its majesty, the huge harbour bridge, the white Opera house, the turquoise water the deep blue sky, the little boats and ferries bobbing about, Id seen a thousand pictures of this view and suddenly there it was but in 3D and spectacular.........it was so feckin beautiful I started (embarrassingly) to cry quietly to myself as I thought of my passed away Dad who had always dreamed of migrating to Australia.
Its a funny thing but I felt I was with him one last time.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The most awe inspiring place you've been
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:57:30 PM »

Id never been to Sydney and I was visiting our head office in a Sydney suburb, after work I got a taxi into the Rocks area of the City.
I told the driver I wanted to see the Opera house etc so he dropped me off at the end of a little street and said, just walk down that street and check out the view, I walked down between the buildings and there suddenly it was, Sydney Harbour down below in all its majesty, the huge harbour bridge, the white Opera house, the turquoise water the deep blue sky, the little boats and ferries bobbing about, Id seen a thousand pictures of this view and suddenly there it was but in 3D and spectacular.........it was so feckin beautiful I started (embarrassingly) to cry quietly to myself as I thought of my passed away Dad who had always dreamed of migrating to Australia.

That's a nice description nimrod, and it brought you special memories. I've lost my father recently and miss him a lot as well.

By the way, wasn't Australia a kind of prison island where bad British people were sent to? ;D
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »

In 1980 I took my motorcycle on a tour of the western US I left Oakland, CA and headed south twords Arizona. I arrived at the Grand Canyon and walked to the edge and looked out over this unbelievable site. I felt sooo small! I spent a long time just looking and thinking about things. it's funny when your faced with how small you really are you think about the Universe, God, life, family etc and how and where you fit in to the picture! It was really amazing and I'd like to go back someday.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 11:32:32 PM »

That's a nice description nimrod, and it brought you special memories. I've lost my father recently and miss him a lot as well.

By the way, wasn't Australia a kind of prison island where bad British people were sent to? ;D

Thanks & yes it was a British penal colony Hombre, some of them were bad but others had done not very much to deserve theyre punishment

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:06:04 AM »

In 1980 I took my motorcycle on a tour of the western US I left Oakland, CA and headed south twords Arizona. I arrived at the Grand Canyon and walked to the edge and looked out over this unbelievable site. I felt sooo small! I spent a long time just looking and thinking about things. it's funny when your faced with how small you really are you think about the Universe, God, life, family etc and how and where you fit in to the picture! It was really amazing and I'd like to go back someday.

My wife has been all over America (I havent) and she said that the Zion Canyon in Utah was more impressive to her than the Grand Canyon.

Have you ever seen it before Dcazz?

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 01:51:03 AM »

Hawaii is nice. Amazing in spots.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 03:59:54 AM »

Touching story, Kev. 

I can't believe you've never been to Sydney!
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 04:01:30 AM »

My wife has been all over America...

Just like Johnny Cash!

Johnny Cash ~ I've Been Everywhere

;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 04:04:15 AM »

I know, Kev, it's an Aussie song...

Lucky Starr ::: Ive Been Everywhere (with lyrics)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 08:33:04 AM »

My wife has been all over America (I havent) and she said that the Zion Canyon in Utah was more impressive to her than the Grand Canyon.

Have you ever seen it before Dcazz?
I haven't been there. I hear it's amazing as well and want to do the 4 corners someday. I've been through northern Utah by the Salt Lake but haven't got to the canyon areas.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 05:06:49 AM »

That is very touching. Sydney Opera House is beautiful indeed.

There is a place in South Africa called George. I dont remember where it is exactly but its a forest village burried under a cloud. There are little lakes, and mushrooms and big trees and the smell of freshness.... it was like being in Russia (a memory I never had - if that makes sense)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

nimrod

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 11:30:22 AM »

Touching story, Kev. 

I can't believe you've never been to Sydney!

that happened in 1988 Baz :)

KelMar

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 04:39:04 AM »

Hawaii is nice. Amazing in spots.

Oh yeah! It's been a long time since I was there but I remember looking down over the Nu'uani Pali cliff where King Kamehameha's army drove the warriors of Oahu over the edge. Scary stuff for an 11 year old! I kept thinking about that while I watched the King Kamehameha Day parade!
Around here it's got to be Niagara Falls. It's gorgeous plus all that oxygen makes me feel really good!

KelMar

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 04:45:47 AM »

I've lost my father recently and miss him a lot as well.

I'm so sorry for your recent loss Andrés. I know how difficult that is.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 10:03:16 AM »

Yep, been to Niagra, too. Very impressive.

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »

I haven't been there. I hear it's amazing as well and want to do the 4 corners someday. I've been through northern Utah by the Salt Lake but haven't got to the canyon areas.

I've been through Zion National Park but didn't go to a canyon there? It may be further north of where we drove.
Driving across Montana, with the blue sky and snow covered fields was pretty awesome. Especially when there's no speed limit!

Been on the Magical Mystery Tour bus in Liverpool, going along Penny Lane, and the song is playing...utterly a special moment in my life.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »

I've been through Zion National Park but didn't go to a canyon there? It may be further north of where we drove.
Driving across Montana, with the blue sky and snow covered fields was pretty awesome. Especially when there's no speed limit!

Been on the Magical Mystery Tour bus in Liverpool, going along Penny Lane, and the song is playing...utterly a special moment in my life.
That sounds like fun.
I've been to Vienna, Austria and had a great time. We went to the Palace, Veinna Symphony and a little tpwn north of the city called Grinzig where we had weinnershnitze for Thanksgiving and enjoyed a traditional floorshow with singing and dancing. Very nice place. I'd like to go back someday. An Austrtians out there please forgive my spelling!
Another mortorcycle trip was when I tried to get as close as I could to Mt St. helens a couple of months after it blew. No dice!
Mark Twain

AppleScruffy96

• Getting Better
  • Love is old Love is new Love is all Love is you <3
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »

So far it's probably been walking around inside the Notre Dame de Paris (maybe I'm a bit biased due to my obsession with cathedrals though), or perhaps simply walking along the beaches of southern Spain during sunset. :)
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 08:04:41 PM »

I'm so sorry for your recent loss Andrés. I know how difficult that is.

Thanks Kelley, I've just seen your message. Yes, it's very hard you know, and he was only 65.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 09:50:03 PM »

...or perhaps simply walking along the beaches of southern Spain during sunset. :)

I've never been to Spain...

Three Dog Night - Never Been To Spain

...but I've been to Oklahoma.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.929 seconds with 89 queries.