Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band  (Read 12331 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 11:06:19 AM »

^ That pretty much sums it up for me as well. I never pick the odd song from it, always play it through. I'm also with you on Good Morning, Good Morning. Same goes for When I'm 64 too (never could stand McCartney's whimsical stuff). But as a whole it works, and I wouldn't change anything about it. I also think the inclusion of Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane would have ruined the effect. They would have just blown the rest of the album out the window, and shown some of the other songs up.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 01:17:57 PM »

I must add that my enjoyment of Pepper has been much enhanced by listening to it on mono vinyl (the way God and The Beatles -assuming there is a difference - intended it). So much denser and richer, not that weedy CD sound.
And I've said it before but I'll say it again - Beatle albums were constructed to be listened to in two (or four) parts. WYWY (I think) makes more much sense as the opener to side two, rather than an indian song stuck in the middle of a continuious stream of music.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »

Quote from: 185
I must add that my enjoyment of Pepper has been much enhanced by listening to it on mono vinyl (the way God and The Beatles -assuming there is a difference - intended it). So much denser and richer, not that weedy CD sound.
And I've said it before but I'll say it again - Beatle albums were constructed to be listened to in two (or four) parts. WYWY (I think) makes more much sense as the opener to side two, rather than an indian song stuck in the middle of a continuious stream of music.

This is a problem with many CD's that were originally sequenced for vinyl. A re-jigging of the running order is needed on some of them.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »

I know what you mean. Then I listen to Revolver and that's as much if not more eclectic, yet the sequence doesn't seem to jar as much as Pepper.
I can't make my mind up about Pepper. Song for song it's weak, sort of Revolver The Dissapointing Sequel in fancy dress. Yet there is something  satisfying about listening to it. (and back down Jethro - nothing mystical going on here.). If I put it on I feel guilty skipping tracks (I abhor Good Morning Good Morning) or taking it off early. It's sort of sacrilege not to see it through. But that probably says more about me than Pepper and these religious mertaphors are disturbing me. Damn you Mr Tull.

I've always liked "Good Morning, Good Morning", for it's piercing guitar licks, and jarring tempo changes. And, I'm shallow enough and easily enough amused that I liked the animal sequences at the end, especially how the ducks morphed into George's two note intro into Reprise.

Then more recently, after John died, that line "Nothing to do to save his life, call his wife in" has stuck out in my mind (not quite haunted me), as it's pretty much what Emergency Department docs say when they pronounce someone deceased, like after a shooting. Between that, Happiness is a Warm Gun, and the repeated "Shoot Me" line in Come Together, it's clear John had a premonition at some level about what was going to happen. At least that's what my Tarot Card reader gypsy lady tells me (Cliff Richard or Cher, anybody?)  ;)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

BlueMeanie

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 04:48:10 PM »

Quote from: 568
it's clear John had a premonition at some level about what was going to happen. At least that's what my Tarot Card reader gypsy lady tells me (Cliff Richard or Cher, anybody?)  ;)

Oh no, you'll get Jethro going now! ;D

How come you haven't started a thread about Jethro Tull then Jethro? Or is it industrial farm machinery you're interested in?

Living One

• A Beginning
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 06:10:52 PM »

Quote from: 748
jethro you are ignoring my questions again.

Sorry >.< but none of your questions seem relevant to this thread.

But that probably says more about me than Pepper and these religious mertaphors are disturbing me. Damn you Mr Tull.

Haha.  I haven't said anything related to religion.  Although I must admit, I have had some mystical experiences with this album.  Maybe I'll share them in a few posts.

It's not about some ridiculous far fetched mystical interpretation, it's just what the lyrics say, and the feeling of the songs.  I think the album flows perfectly, especially starting with "She's Leaving Home."  I think the entire album could be compared to a psychedelic trip.  I won't repeat what I said in the Original Post, but I think 'She's Leaving Home' marks when the tripper, "leaves home," or leaves a false, material reality given by the parents and their instruction.  The tripper leaves the comfort of the false reality, and is free, because that reality was just an illusion.  Leaving reality for the truth.

Then, Mr. Kite, just the carnival feeling, it's like the peak of the trip, and the peak of the album.  Through freedom of mind (thanks to the drugs), the tripper sees things as they are, and is confused at first and can't quite integrate anything.

Within You Without You has the truest lyrics I have ever seen.  Just think about what they are saying related to our current situation.  This song is the reflection period of the trip, when the tripper integrates everything learned from the trip into life.  In doing this, they find peace of mind.

Then the album lightens up, and everyday activities become new again, instead of a boring part of a false reality.  Everything is just wonderful and happy.  "Who could ask for more?"  The tripper realizes that everyday life is always new and entertaining, and starts to have fun.

Good morning is just like waking up anew everyday, no more false reality, just joy.  No agenda.  Just life.

For me, it's not even possible to skip a song, because everything is in the perfect order.

Quote from: 483

Oh no, you'll get Jethro going now!

How come you haven't started a thread about Jethro Tull then Jethro? Or is it industrial farm machinery you're interested in?

;D

Maybe I am actually Ian Anderson?
...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Embrace Oneness

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 07:43:04 PM »

It`s not my favourite album, but it`s amazing how the band transformed and blew the world`s mind with it making everybody wonder at their creativity and innovativeness.

I don`t intend to support JT but there were some people who called The Beatles "divine messiahs, the wisest, holiest most effective avatars" after the album had been released.

Living One

• A Beginning
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 10:15:53 PM »

Quote from: 1393
It`s not my favourite album, but it`s amazing how the band transformed and blew the world`s mind with it making everybody wonder at their creativity and innovativeness.

Aye, Jane.  It is quite spectacular and awe-inspiring how one group changed so much over the course of about ten years.  Anybody who has ever been in a band knows what they did is near impossible.  They tried so many things, and they were all mind-blowing and innovative.

Quote from: 1393
I don`t intend to support JT but there were some people who called The Beatles "divine messiahs, the wisest, holiest most effective avatars" after the album had been released.

And I don't expect you to support me; I just want to share things for you to check for yourself.   :)
I personally don't think it's just a coincidence that people said those sorts of things, as you already know.
The Beatles were the undisputed biggest, best, and most loved for a reason.

As far as this album, I'll repeat what I said in the original post:

"It seems as though people connect with this album so well, because they are subconsciously and consciously always thinking about life/death, aging, their youth, etc. .. so Beatles music in general strikes a chord with many, because it talks about such fundamental concerns, worries, musings, etc."

I think this album perfectly takes us through a psychedelic trip, including the pre-trip (false reality), trip (revealing), and post-trip (reflection).
Psychedelic trips have a lot in common with birth, death, aging, youth, etc.
I won't go into detail out of respect for those of you who have endured such journeys.

Embrace Oneness

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 08:38:27 AM »

Quote from: 1915

I think this album perfectly takes us through a psychedelic trip, including the pre-trip (false reality), trip (revealing), and post-trip (reflection).
Psychedelic trips have a lot in common with birth, death, aging, youth, etc.
I won't go into detail out of respect for those of you who have endured such journeys.

I have to ask, but I take it you are able to make this analysis because you have experienced LSD yourself?
Because your romantic notions sure as hell don't tie in with any of my experiences. False reality, revealing and reflection? How about babbling like an idiot, talking sh*t, probably followed by a good vomit about 6.00am. Very mystic.
don't follow leaders

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 01:21:38 PM »

he he he he......good quote kevin,very nicely put.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 01:58:01 PM »

I have to ask, but I take it you are able to make this analysis because you have experienced LSD yourself?
Because your romantic notions sure as hell don't tie in with any of my experiences. False reality, revealing and reflection? How about babbling like an idiot, talking sh*t, probably followed by a good vomit about 6.00am. Very mystic.
you puked after lsd????i never did...maybe with the peyote or mushrooms but never with lsd....did i do it wrong??? ;D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 03:36:22 PM »

Quote from: 284
you puked after lsd????i never did...maybe with the peyote or mushrooms but never with lsd....did i do it wrong??? ;D

Probably more a result of not eating for 24 hours and smoking several thousand cigarettes.
But I do puke a lot anyway. Grass makes me puke (though I think that's a result of the stupid english putting tobacco in their joints. Bloody philistines.
don't follow leaders

Living One

• A Beginning
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 04:28:37 PM »

I have experienced LSD, among other things.  This analysis didn't come magically while experiencing these altered states, nor were they completely because of these altered states.  Moderation and much reflection brought these realizations into my perspectives.

Based on my explorations as a psychonaut, I equate pre-trip perspective to a false reality, blinded by illusion.  The psychedelic experience, like meditation, is the revealing, putting you face to face with your illusions of ego.  You become an observer of your own mind, and realize how powerful the illusions of the mind can be.  Then, you reflect on your experience (my favorite aspect of the trip).  In moderation (leaving enough time for reflection between trips), you might just be lucky enough to bring some realizations back and integrate them into your day-by-day life.

I appreciate your opinions Kevin, and completely understand that my perspective may not coincide with yours, but you are certainly not showing your compassionate side.   :)
Be at peace, my brother.

Embrace Oneness

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 12:06:13 AM »

I've never puked on acid either. Mushrooms,,,sure. I like Mushrooms a lot more though. Funner time in my opinion or experiences.

As for Jethro, i'm not capping on his analogy because i've done what he's done too. I've been hindered by a substance before and thrown on an album and just let my mind run away for a little while making the album out to be something its not. Its fun, but after the trip, I realize what the album was beforehand and what it is now. No problems.

Living One

• A Beginning
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 04:11:57 AM »

Quote from: 373
As for Jethro, i'm not capping on his analogy because i've done what he's done too. I've been hindered by a substance before and thrown on an album and just let my mind run away for a little while making the album out to be something its not. Its fun, but after the trip, I realize what the album was beforehand and what it is now. No problems.

I admit that I have let my mind wander while listening to music while experiencing an altered-state of mind, but I don't hold on to those thoughts, because they meander like a restless wind inside a letter box.  This interpretation of Sgt. Peppers was constructed entirely in a sober state.  I have checked it for myself in both altered-states and non-altered-states, and it makes sense to me.

How can you realize what an album was/is?  Every time you listen to it, it's brand new.  You can only infer what it appears to be, in the present moment.  Nothing is.

What are your thoughts about Sgt. Peppers, tkitna?

Embrace Oneness

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 11:38:06 PM »

How can you realize what an album was/is?  Every time you listen to it, it's brand new.  You can only infer what it appears to be, in the present moment.  Nothing is.

Lol, here I thought it was drugs at first, but now I realize that your just f***ed up.

What are your thoughts about Sgt. Peppers, tkitna?

Sgt. Peppers was a failed attempt at a concept album in my opinion. First of all, its cool that its a psych album, but hell, Revolver told you it was going to be anyways, plus it was 1967 and most things were psych at that point anyhow. As for the concept image of the album,,,,where's the story? It doesnt have one and thats why it fails (miserably at that). It starts out ok with Sgt. Peppers and WALHFMF's but then it turns into a mishmash of psychedelic songs and a few that dont even apply (When I'm 64, and She's Leaving Home). If it werent for the reprise part, the album wouldnt even have the word concept associated with it at all. If this album has a story to it,,,,you made it up.

As far as i'm concerned, its a damn fine psychedelic album that portrays a little bit of magic everytime I listen to it, BUT i've heard better psych albums, i've heard much better concept albums, and i've also heard better Beatle albums. Thats how I feel.

Living One

• A Beginning
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 12:05:43 AM »

Quote from: 373
Lol, here I thought it was drugs at first, but now I realize that your just f***ed up.

And how did you come to this realization?

As far as i'm concerned, its a damn fine psychedelic album that portrays a little bit of magic everytime I listen to it, BUT i've heard better psych albums, i've heard much better concept albums, and i've also heard better Beatle albums. Thats how I feel.

Cool, thanks for sharing brother.

Embrace Oneness

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 01:58:17 AM »

And how did you come to this realization?

Because I have a hard time understanding some things you say, but i'll readily admit that i'm not the brightest bulb in the box.

Cool, thanks for sharing brother.

Its all good. Peace!

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 02:03:50 AM »

Based on my explorations as a psychonaut

A psychowhat?!  (afraid2)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 02:09:45 AM »

it's no quadrophenia is it???it is a good attempt in the beginning but tragedy struck during the ingredients process...things were omitted and not perfected therefore the gel process was weakened but it is a damn good example of a try at least...the album is a great piece of work but the flow isn't as smooth as was intended...that album was to be concepted along the lines of growing up from youth to adulthood....the single strawberry feilds and penny lane were from their childhood....while a great taste of what was to come...the concept changed into being about a different band doing what???....here is where i seem to be an a-hole...what is the band we have known after forty years trying to convey??the point??because after the jouney no message was revealed....but at least it is great music...tho it seems incomplete..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 83 queries.