Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thoughts on The Beatles' cover of Elvis's...  (Read 2037 times)

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning
Thoughts on The Beatles' cover of Elvis's...
« on: March 22, 2010, 12:45:10 AM »

I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry Over You?

Original by Elvis:
Elvis Presley I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Cry Over You

The Beatles cover (16 July 1963):
The Beatles - I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry Over You (Live at the BBC)

I usually LOVE John Lennon's vocals, but I think Elvis' voice suits this song better. But, I like the drumming in The Beatles cover more than Elvis' version.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:27:25 PM by LennonStarrFan »

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
“He's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Thoughts on The Beatles' cover of Elvis's...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:21:53 AM »

It's technically not an Elvis cover, his version is the best known but not this first one (I think Roy Hamilton recorded it first, but I'm not sure). I guess the Beatles probably based their version on Elvis's recording though.

Of these two versions, I definately prefer Elvis's. He had the capability to make songs 100% his own, and his version is unmistakingly an Elvis Presley song. The Beatles version doesn't sound like a Beatles song, it just sounds like a capable band working it's way through a rock 'n' roll standard.

Plus, purely as a vocalist, I prefer Elvis over any of the Beatles.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:25:08 AM by Joost »

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 03:59:40 PM »

I think I like the Elvis version better. It's a lot more polished, and as Joost said, the vocals are much better.

Speaking of Elvis, I never used to be a fan of his, but I've really warmed up to him lately, especially his early stuff.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:27:45 PM »

bump...

I'd like to see more opinions.

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
“He's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:39:31 PM »

elvis who?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »

Speaking of Elvis, I never used to be a fan of his, but I've really warmed up to him lately, especially his early stuff.

I've been a completely obsessed Elvis fan for most of my childhood. I lost interest around my mid-teens, but the last few years I'm really starting to re-discover Elvis. Vocally he was the best, no doubt about it. He was perhaps the only artist who didn't even need a good song to make good music. He recorded a lot of terrible songs but he made them all sound great. I think pretty much everyone else would've been booed off stage with a song like 'Wooden Heart'.

I think that his earlier and his later material both have their charms. His early songs definately have more energy, spirit and guts, but I quite like the drama and the bombast of his later material as well. It's hard to listen to 'My Boy' or his versions of 'My Way' and 'American Trilogy' without getting cold chills.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:03:05 PM »

I've been a completely obsessed Elvis fan for most of my childhood. I lost interest around my mid-teens, but the last few years I'm really starting to re-discover Elvis. Vocally he was the best, no doubt about it. He was perhaps the only artist who didn't even need a good song to make good music. He recorded a lot of terrible songs but he made them all sound great. I think pretty much everyone else would've been booed off stage with a song like 'Wooden Heart'.

This is very true. I had a similar thought the other day while listening to a cover of "Burning Love". It's a ridiculous song, but Elvis somehow manages to make it work when others can't.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

lennonista

• One And One Is Two
  • ¡Viva la revolución!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 01:48:55 AM »

More opinions?

Okay, well... I think it's a charming cover. And it's quite different from the original, which is what you want in a good cover. The Elvis version is bluesier, for sure... but the boys definitely put their unique British power-pop stamp on it. It's just so full of energy and life. Makes me wanna dance.

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 53 queries.