Beatles forums > Albums

Condese the best of the "Anthology" CDs to 1 disc

(1/6) > >>

dbone828:
If you could condense the best of the Anthology albums and singles onto one 80 minute compact disc, what would be your track list?

dbone828:
Here would be my track list:

1. Free as a Bird (from Anthology 1)
2. Ain't She Sweet (from Anthology 1)
3. Cry for a Shadow (from Anthology 1)
4. Besame Mucho (from Anthology 1)
5. How Do You Do It (from Anthology 1)
6. One After 909 (Complete) (from Anthology 1)
7. Shout (from Anthology 1)
8. You Know What to Do (from Anthology 1)
9. Leave My Kitten Alone (from Anthology 1)
10. If You've Got Trouble (from Anthology 2)
11. That Means a Lot (from Anthology 2)
12. I'm Looking Through You (from Anthology 2)
13. 12-Bar Original (from Anthology 2)
14. I'm Only Sleeping (Rehearsal) (from Anthology 2)
15. Eleanor Rigby (from Anthology 2)
16. Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 1) (from Anthology 2)
17. Christmas Time (Is Here Again) (from Free as a Bird single)
18. Helter Skelter (from Anthology 3)
19. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (from Anthology 3)
20. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (from Anthology 3)
21. Not Guilty (from Anthology 3)
22. What's the New Mary Jane (from Anthology 3)
23. Junk (from Anthology 3)
24. All Things Must Pass (from Anthology 3)
25. Mailman, Bring Me No More Blues (from Anthology 3)
26. Something (from Anthology 3)
27. Come and Get It (from Anthology 3)
28. Real Love (from Anthology 2)

I included all of the songs from the Sessions track list, as well as the reunion songs, the planned-but-cancelled "Helter Skelter" single, and the remaining are tracks are my personal picks of either titles exclusive to the Anthology series, or versions of songs that are quite different from the final studio releases, but also sound great.

Honorable Mentions: "In Spite of All the Danger" and "That'll Be the Day" (I wanted to include them for historical reasons, but the quality is terrible!), "A Day in the Life," "Good Morning, Good Morning," "Because," "All My Loving (Ed Sullivan Show)," "My Bonnie," "Hallelujah, I Love Her So," "Cayenne," "Searchin'," "Three Cool Cats," "The Sheik of Araby," "Like Dreamers Do," "Hello Little Girl," "Moonlight Bay," "Lend Me Your Comb," "I'll Get You" (better than the studio version, IMO), "Eight Days a Week (Take 2)," "Only a Northern Song," "Happiness Is a Warm Gun," "The Fool on the Hill," "Hey Jude," "Yellow Submarine" (from "Real Love" single), "Now and Then (remix)," "Step Inside Love/Los Paranoias," "Teddy Boy," many others.

dbone828:

--- Quote from: dbone828 on June 29, 2010, 12:06:35 AM ---Here would be my track list:

1. Free as a Bird (from Anthology 1)
2. Ain't She Sweet (from Anthology 1)
3. Cry for a Shadow (from Anthology 1)
4. Besame Mucho (from Anthology 1)
5. How Do You Do It (from Anthology 1)
6. One After 909 (Complete) (from Anthology 1)
7. Shout (from Anthology 1)
8. You Know What to Do (from Anthology 1)
9. Leave My Kitten Alone (from Anthology 1)
10. If You've Got Trouble (from Anthology 2)
11. That Means a Lot (from Anthology 2)
12. I'm Looking Through You (from Anthology 2)
13. 12-Bar Original (from Anthology 2)
14. I'm Only Sleeping (Rehearsal) (from Anthology 2)
15. Eleanor Rigby (from Anthology 2)
16. Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 1) (from Anthology 2)
17. Christmas Time (Is Here Again) (from Free as a Bird single)
18. Helter Skelter (from Anthology 3)
19. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (from Anthology 3)
20. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (from Anthology 3)
21. Not Guilty (from Anthology 3)
22. What's the New Mary Jane (from Anthology 3)
23. Junk (from Anthology 3)
24. All Things Must Pass (from Anthology 3)
25. Mailman, Bring Me No More Blues (from Anthology 3)
26. Something (from Anthology 3)
27. Come and Get It (from Anthology 3)
28. Real Love (from Anthology 2)

I included all of the songs from the Sessions track list, as well as the reunion songs, the planned-but-cancelled "Helter Skelter" single, and the remaining are tracks are my personal picks of either titles exclusive to the Anthology series, or versions of songs that are quite different from the final studio releases, but also sound great.

Honorable Mentions: "In Spite of All the Danger" and "That'll Be the Day" (I wanted to include them for historical reasons, but the quality is terrible!), "A Day in the Life," "Good Morning, Good Morning," "Because," "All My Loving (Ed Sullivan Show)," "M
y Bonnie," "Hallelujah, I Love Her So," "Cayenne," "Searchin'," "Three Cool Cats," "The Sheik of Araby," "Like Dreamers Do," "Hello Little Girl," "Moonlight Bay," "Lend Me Your Comb," "I'll Get You" (better than the studio version, IMO), "Eight Days a Week (Take 2)," "Only a Northern Song," "Happiness Is a Warm Gun," "The Fool on the Hill," "Hey Jude," "Yellow Submarine" (from "Real Love" single), "Now and Then (remix)," "Step Inside Love/Los Paranoias," "Teddy Boy," many others.

--- End quote ---

Even though, at the time, I had no idea they would ever actually release an official "best of" the Anthology albums, I think I did a fairly good job at predicting some of the songs that would make such an album.

I was able to get 13 of the 23 songs correct. The ones I left out were:
Can't Buy Me Love (from Anthology 1)
Mr. Moonlight (from Anthology 1)
Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey! (from Anthology 1)
Eight Days a Week (from Anthology 1) -- I did include the Take 2 version in my alternates, however
Yesterday (from Anthology 2
Tomorrow Never Knows (from Anthology 2)
Across the Universe (from Anthology 2)
Octopus's Garden (from Anthology 3)
Good Night (from Anthology 3)
The Long and Winding Road (from Anthology 3)

I'm confused over some of these inclusions--"Can't Buy Me Love," "Mr. Moonlight," "Kansas City," "Tomorrow Never Knows," two Ringo songs (perhaps out of respect?), and surprised that some unreleased material ("Now and Then"), B-sides ("Christmas Time (Is Here Again)"), and material from the original Sessions album ("How Do You Do It," "Besame Mucho," "Mailman Blues," even "What's the New Mary Jane") didn't make appearances.  Nice to see some love for the highlights from George though.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:
I've made something like this but much briefer, as a 30-35 min LP from the mid-60's. I've selected songs from the Anthologies but also some tracks from Live At The BBC; and I established a couple of limits: songs must be "new", i.e. not released by the Beatles during the 60's, and recorded after Ringo joined the band.

My tracklist:

1. Free As A Bird
2. Real Love
3. I'll Be On My Way
4. Some Other Guy
5. Soldier Of Love
6. How Do You Do It
7. Leave My Kitten Alone
8. If You've Got Trouble
9. That Means A Lot
10. 12-Bar Original
11. Not Guilty