Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Grammy special and covers  (Read 3280 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Grammy special and covers
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:49:02 PM »

Some of the discussions on the Grammy special and likes and dislikes of some of the performances made me think we collectively are biased.  Maroon 5, Katy Perry and the Eurythmics may not have hit the mark for many but could they have ever hit a homerun in your opinions?

What are some covers of Beatles songs that you think are better than the original, not just "nice to hear as a change of pace", you truly believe as better.

Two that come to mind that friends (not huge Beatle fans though) have told me for years are Come Together by Aerosmith and Live And Let Die by Guns and Roses (obviously stretching my own question by including solo song).  I admit they fall into nice to hear once in a while for me but I prefer the originals (biased?).

My theory is that as super biased fans, there probably are no covers preferred or very few yet when the Beatles covered others it was better than sliced bread, I.e. Twist and Shout, Do You Want To Know A Secret, and Stand By Me (had to include a solo work here too).

What say you?

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Grammy special and covers
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »

I enjoyed the show myself. I guess it's what you expect. It wasn't the "second coming" it was two surviving 70+ year old Beatles being honored and agreeing to play with some of their friends. Being so critical is fine if you want to but sometimes you just sit back and enjoy!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »

I agree

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »

There are a lot of covers that I really like, even love, but I can't say that I like any of them better than the originals. It's funny; some people have acted surprised when I say I like a cover. They think I'm going to hate it just on principle. John and Paul really had this special ability to write songs that translated well to other performers. Not every song of course, but a lot of them. As far as songs that The Beatles covered I'm not totally biased. I do like Buddy Holly's original version of "Words of Love" better.

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 11:40:35 PM »

I really liked Tom Petty doing Taxman in Concert For George

as for official releases the only one I can think of is With a little help from my friends by Joe Cocker - brilliant version, and yes, better imho

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 01:49:56 AM »

I actually like "Oh, Darling" by the Bee Gees from the late '70s era Sgt. Pepper film. 

However, my favorite Beatles cover of all is "Yesterday" by a current band named Walk Off The Earth (WOTE).  Actually, the band leader, Gianni Luminati, sings all the parts and plays all the instruments.  I really like the reggae vibe he applies to the song.

Check it out here (I think I added the link correctly - if not, just look it up on Youtube):

Yesterday - [Walk off the Earth] Beatles Cover

WOTE also has a cover of "From Me To You" that is good and my teen daughter really likes it.  They're a solid and creative band and I'd encourage everyone to check out some of their other videos (Somebody That I Used To Know, Gang of Rhythm, Corner of Queen, Speeches, etc.)
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

KelMar

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 02:38:28 AM »

as for official releases the only one I can think of is With a little help from my friends by Joe Cocker - brilliant version, and yes, better imho

I really like his cover of "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" too. It reminds me of the Anthology version. He really liked covering The Beatles!

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 03:25:46 AM »

I love the Gunners version of Live And Let It Die, it is a great cover. Suited their style too.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 05:01:49 AM »

I enjoyed the show.  The covers were OK and I expected as much.

For me, the only cover that comes close is Fool On The Hill by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

FOOL ON THE HILL - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

There are times I like it better than The Beatles' original recording.
I can stay till it's time to go

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:43:01 AM »

For me, the only cover that comes close is Fool On The Hill by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

I was going to mention that one. Classic. I think we did all this before in another thread.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 01:14:46 PM »

I still like this version better then the Beatles.

The Buckinghams-I'll Be Back

I didn't like anything on the TV special better then the Beatles versions though.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 07:01:01 AM »

I was going to mention that one. Classic. I think we did all this before in another thread.

:)

Yeah, we did.  But I just had to post that one again.  It's that nice!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 07:03:23 AM »

I still like this version better then the Beatles.

The Buckinghams-I'll Be Back

I forgot about that one!  Thanks, Todd.  What a great sound they had!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »

And I forgot about this magnificent cover...

Booker T & The Mg's McLemore Avenue

Booker T. & the M.G.'s   McLemore Avenue  1970

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 70 queries.