Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: All Things Must Pass (album)  (Read 10118 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
All Things Must Pass (album)
« on: February 23, 2008, 02:37:31 PM »

Today I listened to this album for the first time in it's entirety since probably the seventies. I was determined to listen to it "without prejudice" with my new grownup ears.
First - it's good. Sometimes very good. But a double album is hard for any act to carry off, and the strain does show here and there. I think too Mr Spectre deserves as much credit as Our Kid does. He really layers it on (too much??) but sometimes he needs to bury Georges weedy voice (sorry) or make a dreary melody a bit more interesting. (I would give examples, but I'm in The British Library and can't remember which song is which now.) Occassionaly I think the credit should have read "Phil Spectre featuring George Harrison."
It has some great moments - though  it suffers from George's overt seriousness. He rarely sounds like he's having fun, and that has a detrimental effect (to me at least.) A fine effort, but I can see why Lennon and McCartney weren't too keen on some of the songs. Mr Spectre - take a bow. You made mountains out of George's ideas.
don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

Re: All Things Must Pass (album)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 02:56:33 PM »

It can get very heavy going at times. I don't think it's as great as it was made out to be at the time, more unexpected. I think no-one expected George to come out with so much good material. Personally I prefer Living In The Material World, though that's even more serious.

The re-issued version from a few years ago was de-Spectored to a degree, though it still bears the unmistakable mark of Phil. It's difficult to see how most of these songs could have slotted in on a Beatles album, which is presumably why George's songs were often vetoed.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 08:08:54 PM »

Quote from: 185
I think the credit should have read "Phil Spectre featuring George Harrison."
*takes Kevin out back and beats him bloody with a two-by-four*

Sorry, I have only so much patience!  ;D *smacks you again*

Well, everyone has their taste. You think these songs were molehills. Okay. No one has to like all the Beatles songs or all of their solo work. George's solo work is my favorite of the ex-Beatles and he accomplishes this because he brings so much of himself and his philosophy to his music. I don't want mindless chatter; I want something that is a lovely melody, beautifully orchestrated, and makes me think. Not much, I know, but I'm fussy. And based on this, Bing! George wins.  (For me. You of course can prefer whatever music you like to listen to in your own home.)

Just because you got me curious, I did my own  "overt seriousness" hunt on ATMP:

"I'd Have You Anytime" - sweet love song
"My Sweet Lord"
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:42:47 AM »

I listened to a bit more over the weekend and have softened a bit. Perhaps I was trying too hard to find the negative. It doesn't really have a bad tune on it, and most are superb.
Perhaps the greatest acid test - I played this while my non-Beatle girlfriend and I were playing scrabble (another glimpse into my rock and roll life style) and it caught her attention and she wants a copy. That has NEVER happened before.
don't follow leaders

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:24:42 AM »

Yeah Kev, its a good one. I dont think its overrated one bit. It is the best solo effort period.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 03:01:24 PM »

Yay! Thanks, Tkitna. I would agree with you about it being the best solo effort, except I haven't yet listened to the other ex-Beatles' complete catalog. There might be one lurking out there that I'd like better, but the ATMP album had the same effect on me that it had on Kevin's girlfriend: must... own!!! And I still love it.

Kevin, I'm glad you listened again and found things to like. Life can be so overwhelming, it's a pleasure to find new things to enjoy. I'll put away my two-by-four and instead send you and your gf a nice bottle of wine. Thanks for being patient with me. :)

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »

Quote from: 551
Yay! Thanks, Tkitna. I would agree with you about it being the best solo effort, except I haven't yet listened to the other ex-Beatles' complete catalog. There might be one lurking out there that I'd like better, but the ATMP album had the same effect on me that it had on Kevin's girlfriend: must... own!!! And I still love it.

It doesnt matter if you've heard all the other solo albums or not (trust me), this one is better. I love 'RAM' and it's probably my favorite solo album from them, but 'ATMP' is better. (if you can understand that)

The album has no weaknesses. Its a 5 star production in my book.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 10:27:38 AM »

I have only started really listening to George in the past few years ,and altough i had All Things Must Pass it was'nt played regular .
But since i started buying and playing his music more , i most say i really love him , he's different and his voice is very honest to my ears .
Unlike John and Paul in the 70's he did his own thing , and was'nt fussed about been an ex Beatle he just seemed to get on making music which seems pretty timeless and interesting  :)
All Things Must Pass and Thirty Three And A Third are as good as the best of John and Paul's solo albums , i get as much out of them as i do from Ram , Venus And  Mars , Imagine and Walls and Bridges  :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 11:24:28 AM »

Kevin, I'm glad you listened again and found things to like. Life can be so overwhelming, it's a pleasure to find new things to enjoy. I'll put away my two-by-four and instead send you and your gf a nice bottle of wine. Thanks for being patient with me. :)
You're thanking me? I was in jerk mode - I went looking for faults, and if I couldn't find them then I might as well make them up. It's not my best trait I'm afraid. My girlfriend likes to refer to me as a "pretentious tosser". But then, am I to blame that a university trained school teacher can play scrabble but claim to have never heard  words such as "opine" and "id", but has the temerity to try and slip past "quo?" I ask you - sometimes my life is nothing but the suffering of fools.
You're an angel Mairi.
don't follow leaders

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 12:40:15 PM »

Well, I was feeling a bit guilty about the two-by-four remark-- it didn't seem very welcoming of other people's views. But since it produced such a fine apology, I think I'll drag it out more often.  ;D

Quote from: tkitna
The album has no weaknesses. Its a 5 star production in my book.
Thanks, Tk. I think so, too. Not only are the songs all varied and interesting, the sound varies from spare to lush. It's tough for me to get tired of this album, because there's so much to choose from. It's a very mature offering, with a lot of thoughtfulness and craft behind it, but also fresh because, well, it was Georgie's first, and he wanted to do a good job. And did he. :)

Quote from: 971
since i started buying and playing his music more , i most say i really love him , he's different and his voice is very honest to my ears .
He's addicting, isn't he? My list of enjoyable albums is long, because there are at least one or two wonderful songs on each, so I'll sometimes play those if not the whole thing. I haven't warmed up as well to Extra Texture, but I'm playing it today, and I'm struck by how sad many of the songs are. This guy truly wore his heart on his sleeve. You can call it foolish; it left him open to a lot of grief. But he was combining music with his search for personal development, and that's a kind of courage and honesty that resonates with me.

*gives DaveRam and Tkitna a nice box of chocolates*

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 11:28:09 PM »

All Things Must Pass is really, really good album. I love the feeling on it. I think the Spector's wall of sound" + George's vocal and guitar play made of this a exquisitely melancholic album, full of beautiful melodies, good rockers... but specially gorgeous sad ballads.
"Let It Roll", "Beware of Darkness", "If Not For You" (good for Zimmerman  ;D ), "ATMP", "Hear Me Lord"... those are all eternal favourites.
The only thing I can get is the Apple Jam... I can't listen to that. I don't know. Jams are not my style, so long and boring. Someday I gonna give him another opportunity.  :)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 04:37:58 PM »

the apple jam is always what ruined All Things Must Pass for me. :-/

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 06:01:23 PM »

I have a Love/Hate relationship with this album... i absolutely LOVE these songs.. i absolutely HATE the production.. Wall of Sound works for Mono.. not for stereo.. and i will never forgive Spector for recording the effects directly to master.. that is a sin an absolute sin... when i watched Awaiting on you All in the Concert for Bangladesh i was so elated to hear this track but wait, i had heard it, under a layer of mud on ATMP... so i try my hardest now to get bootlegs live versions anything to compile something close to an enjoyable package.. it's a shame too that so many of these great songs have to be really held back by the sound of the time.. and one that was already on it's way out.. so many great performances throughout.. Ringo, Pete Drake's slide guitar, Eric, the first Dylan/Harrison tunes so and some real potential classics almost ruined..

As for the apple jams i enjoy em as a musician but it's almost like it's not part of the album just a little bonus that came out of recording for as long as they did.

I just think it's sad that nothing can be done to save these songs.
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 06:08:27 PM »

Quote from: 614
the apple jam is always what ruined All Things Must Pass for me. :-/

I don't see how one song can ruin a whole album for you. If you don't like a song, skip it.  :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 04:44:55 PM »

I liked hearing your viewpoint, Bungalow Bill. It's funny, because Kevin started a thread by saying he loved the production and thought it was the best thing about the album. I have to say, I adore the power of the songs as well. Clearly this is a labor of love.

I'd like to hear some bootlegs without the heavy production as well. Do you know where I can get a mono version? Cheers.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 08:05:10 PM »

I'd like to hear some bootlegs without the heavy production as well. Do you know where I can get a mono version? Cheers.

Check out a bootleg called Beware of ABCKO! It's the demos for ATMP. Info at Bootlegzone. Not sure that a proper mono mix of ATMP was ever made, although fold-downs could well exist.

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 10:56:17 PM »

Clearly this is a labor of love.
I think this statement really hits it perfectly.. i think these songs as well as Living in the Material world really show George saying what he needed to say with so much love and so much passion. I have felt for a long time that if the production interferes with the message whatsoever then it's the worst thing that can be done.. There are tracks on the album where Spector's production certainly helped but i think George would have benefitted largely from a more sparse production more like that of The Band's Big Pink album... It's these songs that need to last not the style in which they were recorded.

I'd like to hear some bootlegs without the heavy production as well. Do you know where I can get a mono version? Cheers

Check out a bootleg called Beware of ABCKO!

Totally agree. Art of Dying is very good as well.. with some cool tracks like Cosmic Empire, and Gopala Krishna. don't know about a mono mix
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

BlueMeanie

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 08:10:54 AM »

Quote from: 1161

Check out a bootleg called Beware of ABCKO! It's the demos for ATMP. Info at Bootlegzone. Not sure that a proper mono mix of ATMP was ever made, although fold-downs could well exist.

I doubt that there's a mono mix at all. You could attempt to make your own if you have the software. But then all you'd get is a mono version of the stereo version, and not a mono mix.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 07:47:18 PM »

Beware of ABCKO! can be found here:

http://juliocmail.blogspot.com/2008/03/george-harrison-live-beware-of-abkco.html

I hope I'm not violating any forum rules....

maccalennon

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 06:23:40 PM »

im not sure i get what the big deal is with mono mixes. In this day and age where we have pristine remasters of some of this stuff why the interest in mono? Surely thats a backwards step? We have two ears not one so to my mind that means that a remixed remastered stereo mix  must sound nicer than a crusty old mono mix. no?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 90 queries.