Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What was it like to be a teenager for our old ones  (Read 3895 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: What was it like to be a teenager for our old ones
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2006, 10:02:19 AM »

Of all the decades after the war, I think the 90s were probably the suckiest... I like the 00s much better so far.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2006, 01:40:46 PM »

Well, I liked the nineties because I grew up in them and I have fond memories attached to Tickle Me Elmo and the Spice Girls.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2006, 02:28:38 PM »

Quote from: 185
I think I've said this before but all the 70's teenagers I knew were acutely aware that we had just missed out on the sixties. Something fantastic had happened and we'd just missed out. Kind of like arriving at the best party in the world only to find everyone had gone home.
I try not get to weepy about "the good old days." Blow-waves, disco (everywhere, all the time), War of The Worlds, tight trousers, car-less days, Dynasty and Dallas. Blah.
All in all, I think the nineties were the most enjoyable. We'd won the Cold War and everyone was optimistic. Everyone had money in their pockets, Grunge, Britpop and Dance ruled the clubs, suddenly more football on the telly than you could shake a stick at, the millenium was looming.......man, did we scew up.

You're not wrong there. Most of my friends wished they'd been born 5 or 6 years earlier.

I too think we should look back on the 90's as a very good decade. There was increased confidence and stability (generally speaking), and Chelsea started winning things (without Russian money!!!).

It probably all depends on your age. If I were 10-15 years younger I'd probably look back fondly on the 80's (YIKES!!!!!). The 90's was a definate improvement musically. The 00's by comparison seems stale and safe.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2006, 02:36:10 PM »

Quote from: 483
The 90's was a definate improvement musically. The 00's by comparison seems stale and safe.

Depends on how you experienced the 90s. I was in high school in the 90s, and everyone listened to gabber and euro house. Grunge was for the outcasts. If you listened to anything with guitars in it you were uncool. Everyone hated the "skaters" and the "alto's". If you were lucky you had a bunch of metalheads in your class that you could join, they were faily open minded and for some reason pretty much the only minority that the cool kids didn't pick on.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2006, 02:43:33 PM »

I'm normally very forgiving of peoples differing tastes, but Euro House! How could anyone who liked that even begin to consider anyone else uncool? Fortunately once again us north of the channel were spared these horrible depravations from Europe.
And I forgot to include baggy in my list of neat 90's music. Happy Mondays are one of my all time favourite bands.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2006, 02:53:02 PM »

Yeah, we were in the middle of it... 2 Unlimited, Charly Lownoise & Mental Theo, 2 Brothers On The 4th Floor, T-Spoon, Vengaboys, Party Animals... All that sh*t came from Holland and I still think we should apologize to the rest of the world for euro house...

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2006, 02:56:15 PM »

I don't remember Britain being musically divided in the 90's. Apart from little pockets of resistance up north there were no disco/punk or mod/rocker type splits. The nation was grooving to a single tune. God bless Ecstacy I say.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2006, 03:02:41 PM »

Quote from: 56
Yeah, we were in the middle of it... 2 Unlimited, Charly Lownoise & Mental Theo, 2 Brothers On The 4th Floor, T-Spoon, Vengaboys, Party Animals... All that sh*t came from Holland and I still think we should apologize to the rest of the world for euro house...

Apolgy accepted. Though I think if there's ever a Nuremburg for music you guys will be reaching for the cyanide pills....
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2006, 03:33:24 PM »

Apolgy accepted. Though I think if there's ever a Nuremburg for music you guys will be reaching for the cyanide pills....

But on the other hand, Golden Earring, Shocking Blue, the Van Halen brothers, Urban Dance Squad, The Hunters and some of George Baker's early songs weren't that bad...

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2006, 04:25:01 PM »

Quote from: 56

But on the other hand, Golden Earring, Shocking Blue, the Van Halen brothers, Urban Dance Squad, The Hunters and some of George Baker's early songs weren't that bad...

And at least Mussolini made the trains run on time..,..
but I'm joking of course. Hollands contributions to the world of rock are much appreciated (ps you forgot Stars on 45 and The Archies)
don't follow leaders

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2006, 05:08:24 PM »

When I left school and started work (1976) at 18 I left a rather unhappy and abusive homelife behind and moved in with a bunch of dopesmoking long haired hippies listening to Amon Duul and Hawkwind. It was a liberation (and the reason why I think subconsciously I haven't moved on). We burnt furniture on cold nights, painted the cover from The Court Of The Crimson King album all over the lounge wall and moved out in the dead of night when the landlord came looking for his rent. We dropped acid and went to the beach in the middle of the night to watch the planes land at the airport. I got sent home from the office for wearing flip flops, jeans and a shirt with only two buttons. I had hair to my waist and sideys so long I could put them in my mouth. Saw The Last Waltz nine times.
So prior to 18 it was hell, for all the reasons Blue Meanie said. After 18 it was heaven

haha - great post Kevin.
Sounded like far out times.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2006, 05:20:58 PM »

i don't think 90's music scene was that great-for a start in rock, U2 and oasis pretty much ruled there scene, however grunge did start to come out of seattle which i'm a fan of-the pixies rule..ecstasy was sort of introduced then, and the pop charts (especially in the last nineties was crap).

BlueMeanie

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2006, 06:01:35 PM »

Not great, but a definate improvement on the 80's.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2006, 06:08:34 PM »

Aqua, Safri Duo, Whigfield, Outlandish. All Danish.

Should I go on...? ??)

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2006, 08:43:47 PM »

Quote from: 37
first of all...I think the thread title is a bit cheeky.

i try ;D
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2006, 08:50:39 PM »

Quote from: 197
i don't think 90's music scene was that great-for a start in rock, U2 and oasis pretty much ruled there scene, however grunge did start to come out of seattle which i'm a fan of-the pixies rule..ecstasy was sort of introduced then, and the pop charts (especially in the last nineties was crap).

U2's only good album in the 90s was Achtung Baby, they dominated the 80s. Joshua Tree is, in my opinion, the greatest album from the 80s (granted, there were some great songs but its U2 (come on, you know id make a U2 reference at somepoint, i thank you LL for giving me a reason) and U2 is the reason why the 80s were so great ;D)
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2006, 09:23:24 PM »

Yeah U2 were definatley more of an '80's dominating band' lol..and yeah matt you know i can always use U2 to get you going haha :P..however i don'y think the 80's were great.                          never!          ever! man

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2006, 09:23:41 PM »

they're nice live though sir.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2006, 12:32:14 AM »

definitely nice live, you catch some of my personal live picks in the booty section?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2006, 10:45:18 AM »

Quote from: 483

Aqua, Safri Duo, Whigfield, Outlandish. All Danish.

Should I go on...? ??)

I think we should at least allow Europe to bask in the glow of Kraftwerk, who apparantly inspired a whole generation of introverted knob-twiddling student techno types, and for that the world of rock is eternally grateful.
And remember - "It's the final countdown dah do dat do - daaah do dada da da doo.."
don't follow leaders
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.75 seconds with 80 queries.