Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gr8 1960's bands  (Read 4469 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: Gr8 1960's bands
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 03:31:44 PM »

The Jimi Hendrix Experience (as a band) and Cream were highly important but short-lived to be considered.

Jimi Hendrix's 3 albums are among the greatest ever recorded and he had some amazing singles as well. I don't know how many bands/artists can claim to that. I think Purple Haze alone influenced more than everything Jefferson Airplane ever put out. But I love the Airplane as well.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »

Jimi Hendrix's 3 albums are among the greatest ever recorded and he had some amazing singles as well. I don't know how many bands/artists can claim to that. I think Purple Haze alone influenced more than everything Jefferson Airplane ever put out. But I love the Airplane as well.

It's hard not to agree with that, though "Purple Haze" and "Somebody To Love" were recorded around the same date and they both may be the first pure acid rock songs ever. Of course the impact of Jimi Hendrix was much bigger, but the San Francisco scene as a whole was a key event of the 60's, and I wanted to include at least one example from there. Just let my subjective opinion speak here.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 10:48:02 PM »

The Jimi Hendrix Experience (as a band) and Cream were highly important but short-lived to be considered.

And I must admit that I know very little about the Move; I must do a research.

The Move are particularly interesting as they spawned ELO who, I think it's safe to say, we're the last progressive rock band to gain huge worldwide chart success and celebrity. Although admittedly they did this by moving toward pop/rock with string/symphonic underpinnings rather than as heavy prog rockers.

But in terms of chart success it does appear the symphonic/prog rock thing ended up being a bit of a cul de sac. Notwithstanding that there are still lots of these bands around garnering cult followings.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 10:52:09 PM »

It's hard to not put Hendrix on the list. So influential. And with great songs and albums. 

Am I the only one though who sometimes sees film of Hendrix's concerts and thinks...  Hmmm rather self indulgent musically speaking?

nimrod

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 11:37:24 PM »

It's hard to not put Hendrix on the list. So influential. And with great songs and albums. 

Am I the only one though who sometimes sees film of Hendrix's concerts and thinks...  Hmmm rather self indulgent musically speaking?

It was a time of 10 minute solo's (think of Cream)

But Hendrix & Cream go on my top 8 list of the 60's, massive influence both of them

I understand Hombre's list and his reasoning, I just disagree :)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 11:58:02 PM »

It was a time of 10 minute solo's (think of Cream)

Cream were big on those. Given a choice I'd probably have taken a Clapton extended solo over Jimmy's. I liked his interplay with Jack Bruce.  Although it's hard to tell on video, Jimmy's with the Experience come across as more noise generating, aural assault but the effect could well have been different live.

I think the one I saw of Hendrix which underlined it was when he said to the audience you can leave if you want. We're just jamming. Or words to that effect. But hey, most of the audience probably loved it.

nimrod

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 02:11:29 AM »

I absolutely love the one he did at Woodstock, Ive watched it sober, drunk & stoned and its always great ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 02:26:49 AM »

When I say that the Doors were capable with their instruments, I really mean it, they certainly knew very well how to play them. But I don't know what you mean when you use the word "virtuoso"; to me, virtuoso is Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, not to mention Jimi Hendrix (could Robby Krieger have competed with them?). I enjoy Ray Manzarek and he was a basic ingredient in the Doors' sound, but he usually reminds me to an amateur circus keyboardist; I prefer Rod Argent or Steve Winwood much more. And I like John Densmore but he wasn't much more than an average drummer.

I prefer to consider the talent of an artist based on their own merits and not by comparison to others.

About Manzarek playing bass lines with the keyboard, I understand that it was only in their debut album; on their next releases they used a session bassist.

I was specifically referring to their live club performances.

But hey, I did put the Doors among the greatest 60's bands, so I certainly respect them very much.

This is why I don't particularly care for lists.  They don't tend to be very objective.

But you did preface your list by saying "Of course, the unavoidable subjective factor is still there."
I can stay till it's time to go

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 01:14:26 PM »

The Move are particularly interesting as they spawned ELO who, I think it's safe to say, we're the last progressive rock band to gain huge worldwide chart success and celebrity. Although admittedly they did this by moving toward pop/rock with string/symphonic underpinnings rather than as heavy prog rockers.

But in terms of chart success it does appear the symphonic/prog rock thing ended up being a bit of a cul de sac. Notwithstanding that there are still lots of these bands around garnering cult followings.
^

Surely I'll be interested in the beginnings of the Move. Thanks for the brief review.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 01:17:24 PM »

But Hendrix & Cream go on my top 8 list of the 60's, massive influence both of them

I understand Hombre's list and his reasoning, I just disagree :)

I still recognize the huge merits of both groups and they're among my favorite artists too. But it's fine to disagree. :)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 01:27:43 PM »

I prefer to consider the talent of an artist based on their own merits and not by comparison to others.

I just reserve the word "virtuoso" to some few special musicians. Just a semantics issue.

I was specifically referring to their live club performances.

Ok.

This is why I don't particularly care for lists.  They don't tend to be very objective.

But you did preface your list by saying "Of course, the unavoidable subjective factor is still there."
`

Of course lists are subjective, even when one tries to be objective. But I think it's fun to discuss them.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 11:10:40 PM »

I just reserve the word "virtuoso" to some few special musicians. Just a semantics issue.

Andrés, I reserve the term "prodigy" for those few special musicians with exceptional and rare talent.  Yes it's just a matter of semantics.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »

Andrés, I reserve the term "prodigy" for those few special musicians with exceptional and rare talent.  Yes it's just a matter of semantics.

Every prodigy is a virtuoso but not every virtuoso is a prodigy?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2013, 10:40:46 PM »

Every prodigy is a virtuoso but not every virtuoso is a prodigy?

Isn't prodigy reserved more for those who display unusual talent at a young age? And while most might go on to become virtuosos, I'm reminded of something a classical musician  said,  that the rank and file sections of orchestras all around the world are full of former child prodigies.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2013, 10:43:15 PM »

Actually the fact we call them child prodigies does suggest that you can be a non child prodigy. Perhaps more that they demonstrate unusual talent when first learning.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 3.952 seconds with 70 queries.