Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Beatles v Elvis  (Read 23451 times)

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Beatles v Elvis
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2008, 08:45:30 PM »

What I wouldn't give for a Elvis caddy or a Jimi guitar  :K)
<br />

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2008, 08:49:15 PM »

;D or a willie nelson pony tail?????!!!!! ;D

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2008, 08:51:14 PM »

Quote from: 284
;D or a willie nelson pony tail?????!!!!! ;D

Oh wowsers  :D

<br />

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2008, 08:55:36 PM »

And who do the "performers" out there in the world today, try to copy "looks" and "sound" of..........Elvis and the Beatles????  The impersonators and tribute bands???  Need I say more, never more, never more............

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2008, 08:58:20 PM »

True, Elvis is probably the most impersonated person of all!  But do you notice it's almost always older, fatter Elvis?
And there are alot of Beatle tribute bands out there also.
<br />

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2008, 09:02:05 PM »

I've seen one Elvis impersonator that opened the show for "Liverpool Legends" in Branson a couple of years ago and he was from the "young" Elvis years and very, very good.  Need to find a pix and post.  And I LOVE the older Elvis with the white jump-suits and all that.  So "Las Vegas Lounge Lizard" lookin'...........

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2008, 09:05:44 PM »

I prefer earlier Elvis myself.  But older Elvis is very Vegas...Flashy & fun!
<br />

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2008, 09:41:26 PM »

^^^^^Oh yeah........."flashy, fun, and cheesy".........LOVE IT!!!!

Revolver42

• Getting Better
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2008, 05:24:29 PM »

Was Elvis extremely successful?  Absolutely.  To me the differences in the Beatles and Elvis are many.  The Beatles were a self-contained unit.  They wrote amazing songs themselve...continually challenging themselves and improving all the time.  Also, they could play there own instruments...well.  Specifically, I think Paul is one of the best bass players ever.  George and Ringo and underrated I think as they played within the song and did not aspire to be flashy players.  Elvis cannot say the same thing.  He was a great singer, and an amazing entertainer, but not near the artist the Beatles were.
...And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2008, 02:14:36 AM »

ok i didn't want to dump this on you but elvis was an alien.... ;D
i love sun record performers period....my fave is the killer jerry lee lewis,then johnny cash then roy orbision then elvis...to me elvis always sounded too churchy....i love that deep voice tho..he had zazz but it just didn't zazzs me enough and never mind those movies...i am very impressed by the fact that he took his mother to one of his first movies and when he died on wscreen she cried and was very upset and as a result he never died in a movie again....his performance was a different story...change of habit was a poor movie as was roustabout...and the story lines kind of were the same most times....there were some scenes of follow that dream recorded in a town not far from here....love him or hate him i can accept him...

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2008, 03:06:59 AM »

Ok..................Elvis IS the first R'N'R icon.  And then the Beatles...............but here's the difference that I think.  Elvis kept on "hashing" it out in Vegas and made him look like a "performing monkey"......hate to say that, but I think it's true.  The Beatles...........on the other hand........stopped TWICE.........once in '66 from touring live again and then breaking up "for good" in early 1970.  I think this way they, the Beatles, didn't "tarnish" their name with the Vegas stuff.  They left and quit on top and as "ICONS".  And as John Lennon said, "over my dead body will I play Vegas as Elvis does".

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2008, 03:48:29 AM »

Yes, it is kind of like a sitcom.  Some are so good but they killed it by dragging it on and on when they should have quit while they were ahead so that people would remember when they were really good.  
<br />

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2008, 07:45:49 AM »

As an individual performer, Elvis was basically doomed to a decline.  What was unfortunate was how rapid and obvious that decline was.  Sinatra had a decline too -- but his was one brought on by the natural aging process, not quite such a sad story.  The Beatles are the only act I can think of that actually continued to improve, and went out on a high note -- what they did or didn't accomplish in their solo careers doesn't tarnish what the band did.  No other band -- the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Floyd, the Who -- could avoid the decline that the Beatles did.  (As you can see, I'm a huge fan of Abbey Road.)

Although I wouldn't describe Barbra Streisand's career as being in 'decline.'  Of course, she only performs her periodic farewell shows every few years or so.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2008, 08:15:32 AM »

" ABBA " stopped before the rot set in ? but other than The Beatles and them i can't think of another big act that left the stage with their legacy as intact .
ABBA did'nt have the American success The Beatles had , but in Europe and Australia they did .
Their music and image is still very strong in these territories and like The Beatles as grown since their split in 1982 .

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2008, 09:40:08 AM »

Quote from: 971
" ABBA " stopped before the rot set in ? but other than The Beatles and them i can't think of another big act that left the stage with their legacy as intact .
ABBA did'nt have the American success The Beatles had , but in Europe and Australia they did .
Their music and image is still very strong in these territories and like The Beatles as grown since their split in 1982 .

Good God. I remember hearing nothing but ABBA in the seventies! The horror! How much more popular could they have been??

Actually, I love them now, but I HATED them then. I was a snobby little Beatle fan and made fun of my best friend's mom who constantly played them on her eight track! She thought it was hysterical that it drove me insane.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2008, 10:23:46 AM »

Well they only got to # 1 once in America Sandra with "Dancing Queen " and although a lot of Americans liked them .
ABBA's success in the rest of the world was mega in comparison to their success in the USA .
A bit like you i was'nt that keen of them in the 70's but i really like them now .

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2008, 12:35:06 AM »

I think the musical Mama Mia is based on ABBA songs and that it is now a movie! Starring Meryl Strep I think.  I just saw the preview today.  ABBA is not for me but whatever floats your boat!
<br />

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2008, 05:32:52 PM »

The musical Mama Mia is based on ABBA songs and is has successfully been on all around the world, west and east equally. But i haven`t seen it. I believe that musicals should be seen in London and I failed to see it there this year. Maybe next year? The film is coming out soon and we`re already tired of the promotion which has been imposed on us the last months. It is starring Meril Streep, Pierce Brosnan, whom i like very much, and they are singing! I am going to see it. I like ABBA and liked them in the good old days. I think i liked them more then. Now i don`t listen to them, never. But then: Voulez Vou, Dancing Queen, Thank you for the Music, Waterloo, Honey Honey ( vow!!! ), and I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do...Gonna listen to them this evening...

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2008, 05:59:32 AM »

ABBA is awesome.  Not Beatles awesome.  Not Zeppelin awesome.

But awesome nonetheless.

By the way, is ABBA correctly spelled with all capital letters?  Or is it Abba?

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2008, 12:07:46 AM »

It occurred to me after my previous postings that there are other artists who never went through the inevitable decline -- but unfortunately that's because they died young, like Hendrix and Janis Joplin.

Bob Dylan hasn't had a true decline either, although he's not relevant today like he was in 1965.  But he's done nothing to tarnish his legacy (unlike Elvis, who after 1958 couldn't stop tarnishing his legacy).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 80 queries.