Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sgt. Pepper's vs Pet Sounds  (Read 28730 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Sgt. Pepper's vs Pet Sounds
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 04:05:53 AM »

even now they could fill any football stadium 2 or 3 nights.

In fact Roger Waters sold out 8 consecutive nights at the biggest football stadium in Argentina for his "The Wall" show when he'll come next year.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 05:08:43 AM »

Hi Hombre_de_ningun_lugar! That's fair enough my friend! Believe it or not, you are not alone. I know many music fans that either do not like or cannot get into PINK FLOYD'S music. I respect everyone's views and opinions on their musical preferences, that's the beauty of it all and the only way to be. Take care my friend.     

I ackownledge Pink Floyd greatness, they're not just my cup of tea. Have a great time.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 05:30:35 AM »

Like Brian Wilson, I am confused by any such comparisons. Apples and oranges.

;)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

nimrod

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 05:40:04 AM »

I've heard of the Australian Pink Floyd and German Pink Floyd but I've never heard their music. I'm going to have to check them out. Thanks for the info mate and take care.

Welcome to Eloy, Ive been a fan for over 20 years..theyre not a tribute band but a band that has made many albums over 30 years of their own material

Eloy - Poseidon's Creation - PART I.

ELOY - The Sun Song (Live 1977)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:47:21 AM by nimrod »

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »

As someone has already said, it does seem unfair to compare Pet Sounds with Sgt Pepper, since Pepper was recorded a whole year later.
Pet Sounds was being recorded around the same time as the Beatles were working on Revolver, so it would make more sense to compare Pet Sounds with Revolver and Sgt Pepper with Smile.

Anyway, if I was being sent to a desert island and could only take one album with me - either Pet Sounds or Revolver - I would choose Revolver.
But if the choice was between Pet Sounds and Pepper then I'd go for Pet Sounds.

I think both the Beatles albums I mentioned are a bit more instantly accessible than Pet Sounds. Most of the songs on Revolver or Pepper stand up really well on their own - you could hear any of the songs from those albums on the radio and most of them wouldn't sound out of place. Maybe only Tomorrow Never Knows, A Day In The Life and Within You Without You are a bit too "weird" for the radio or to be released as singles.

On the other hand, the magic of Pet Sounds comes from repeated listening, and also from hearing the album in its entirety. There is so much going on in the instrumentation, the harmonies, the lyrics, the arrangements, etc - it is impossible to take it all in on your first listen. Pet Sounds for me improves every time I hear it!! And apart from Wouldn't It Be Nice, Sloop John B, and perhaps God Only Knows, the Pet Sounds songs wouldn't come across so well if you heard them separately on the radio. I think most of them work much better when listened to as an album.

I think what I'm trying to say is that you have to work a little to appreciate Pet Sounds, whereas The Beatles are much more immediate.

I hope that all makes sense.  ;D

It's all down to individual taste at the end of the day, but it's interesting to see other people's opinions on some of rock music's greatest ever albums.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:55:05 AM by peterbell1 »

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 10:05:16 AM »

I ackownledge Pink Floyd greatness, they're not just my cup of tea. Have a great time.

You're doing great my friend! Take care.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »

As someone has already said, it does seem unfair to compare Pet Sounds with Sgt Pepper, since Pepper was recorded a whole year later.
Pet Sounds was being recorded around the same time as the Beatles were working on Revolver, so it would make more sense to compare Pet Sounds with Revolver and Sgt Pepper with Smile.

Anyway, if I was being sent to a desert island and could only take one album with me - either Pet Sounds or Revolver - I would choose Revolver.
But if the choice was between Pet Sounds and Pepper then I'd go for Pet Sounds.

I think both the Beatles albums I mentioned are a bit more instantly accessible than Pet Sounds. Most of the songs on Revolver or Pepper stand up really well on their own - you could hear any of the songs from those albums on the radio and most of them wouldn't sound out of place. Maybe only Tomorrow Never Knows, A Day In The Life and Within You Without You are a bit too "weird" for the radio or to be released as singles.

On the other hand, the magic of Pet Sounds comes from repeated listening, and also from hearing the album in its entirety. There is so much going on in the instrumentation, the harmonies, the lyrics, the arrangements, etc - it is impossible to take it all in on your first listen. Pet Sounds for me improves every time I hear it!! And apart from Wouldn't It Be Nice, Sloop John B, and perhaps God Only Knows, the Pet Sounds songs wouldn't come across so well if you heard them separately on the radio. I think most of them work much better when listened to as an album.

I think what I'm trying to say is that you have to work a little to appreciate Pet Sounds, whereas The Beatles are much more immediate.

I hope that all makes sense.  ;D

It's all down to individual taste at the end of the day, but it's interesting to see other people's opinions on some of rock music's greatest ever albums.

How's it going peterbell1? I hope all is well with you. I couldn't have said it better myself, take care.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »

I agree. Actually Pet Sounds is said to be the first concept album, though that has mostly to do with its musical consistency and string of introspective lyrics. And then there're those barkings ("pet sounds") at the end of "Caroline No"; do you think that was intentionally done thinking of the album title?

'Pet Sounds' wasn't the first concept album, it wasn't even The Beach Boys' first concept album. That would've been 'Little Deuce Coupe' from 1963, which (minus the song 'Be True to Your School') was entirely about cars.

The title 'Pet Sounds' was inspired by the dog barking (those are Brian's own dogs, Banana & Louie) and not the other way around.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »

Lets just all agree that 'SF Sorrow' by The Pretty Things is the greatest album out of all that were mentioned and we'll move on.  ;D

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 12:30:05 PM »

That's an easy question for me. I like 'Pepper' a lot, but still, the song vs. song thing: 'Pet Sounds' wins 13-0...

Same here.
That's an easy question for me. I like 'Pepper' a lot, but still, the song vs. song thing: 'Pet Sounds' wins 13-0...

By the way, I don't agree with you that 'Pepper' has a better concept. What is the concept of that album anyway? If you leave out 'Sloop John B.' (which was included for commercial reasons, it was originally a stand alone single) and obviously the two instrumentals, than 'Pet Sounds' does have a lyrical concept. Every song describes the protagonist's feelings before, during or after an intense relationship. By shuffling the songs, you can even create some kind of a logical storyline.

Pepper's concept was intented, all Paul's idea. Was Pet Sounds' concept intended? And I may be wrong but wasn't "I Konw There's and Answer" about drugs? and "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" about the way Brian felt during that time, considering that the rest of the band gave him a hard time? Again, I may be wrong but that's just what I understand from the lyrics.I'm not saying that a concept makes an album automatically better, I was just trying to point out some pros for each albums. And, in my opinion, Pepper has a more original idea, the whole thing about them being Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It's not a complicated one, and it was not developed much during the album, but it is intresting and it sure inspired latter bands (such as Pink Floyd) to develope more the whole "concept" thing.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 02:27:53 PM »

'Pet Sounds' wasn't the first concept album, it wasn't even The Beach Boys' first concept album. That would've been 'Little Deuce Coupe' from 1963, which (minus the song 'Be True to Your School') was entirely about cars.

Well, a "concept album" may be a vague definition. I think it doesn't depend only on the theme of the lyrics (you could say that an album full of love songs is a concept album then), but it also depends on musical integrity. Strictly talking, the first pure concept albums in rock music would be rock operas such as S.F. Sorrow, Tommy and Arthur.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »

I don't like Pet sounds. I respect it but the lyrics are awful. Who want's to listen to songs about adolecents and Brian being emotionally retarded. I don't like putting it like that but I just hate those lyrics. Sgt. pepper is the complete opposite. It's lyrics are cool and arty for adults. One thing I did notice though earlier this year when I was listening to Pet sounds to re-familiarise myself with it was how much Pepper's production seems to resemble it. I think as Apple computers laywers might put it Pepper matches the 'look and feel' of Pet sounds and w/e else we can say Pepper would have sounded very different without Pet sounds. I'm convinced of that now. Another thing I've never quite understood that I've remebered reading some of the posts in this thread. Why did Brian Wilson feel so knocked out by Rubber soul. It wasn't really an advance musically from the early Beatles years. Apart from the Sitar on Norwegian wood was there anything on Rubber soul that hadn't been done before. The songs are just as straightfowardly recorded as they were on all the other albums. For me the major change in the Rubber Soul songs were the lyrics for some of the songs like Nowhere man,DRive my car & the Word which were all mmore cool and arty and grown up than anything they'd done before but it's still got stuff like You won't see me & Run for your life & George's songs which just sound like they could have been written and recorded any time before then...Wait actually was recoreded during the Help sessions! So why did Brian feel it was such a radical leap forward musicaly? i don't think it was.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »

Who want's to listen to songs about adolecents and Brian being emotionally retarded.
I think that a whole lot of people can relate to at least some of the lyrics. And who doesn't want to listen to lyrics that he or she can relate to? And I wouldn't say that the songs are about anyone being emotionally "retarded". Just searching and insecure.

Why did Brian Wilson feel so knocked out by Rubber soul.
Brian didn't feel knocked out. Just inspired. Back when it came out, 'Rubber Soul' was quite a unique album. It was one of the very first pop LP's that was an artistic statement on it's own, rather than just a collection of singles and filler material. That was quite revolutionary, actually. Before 'Rubber Soul', pop music was all about hit singles, after 'Rubber Soul', albums became more important. So basically pop music really started maturing with 'Rubber Soul'.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 05:36:14 PM »

I don't like Pet sounds. I respect it but the lyrics are awful. Who want's to listen to songs about adolecents and Brian being emotionally retarded.

Pet Sounds contains some of my favourite lyrics ever (and Paul McCartney's for that matter!) .....

Beach Boys - God Only Knows - Acapella

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »

That was quite revolutionary, actually. Before 'Rubber Soul', pop music was all about hit singles, after 'Rubber Soul', albums became more important. So basically pop music really started maturing with 'Rubber Soul'.

The Beatles always said themeselves and I think a lot of other people think that With the beatles was the album which first showed that albums were a proper collection of songs rather than hit singles and filler.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 05:54:56 PM »

The Beatles always said themeselves and I think a lot of other people think that With the beatles was the album which first showed that albums were a proper collection of songs rather than hit singles and filler.

Then why does it have six cover songs?

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 06:02:59 PM »

Here we go again with comparing...

I agree with much of what Peter Bell says. I don't think you can really compare these albums. I hated Pet Sounds for a long time. I couldn't get through it, until I decided I was going to figure out what was great about it... I got it. Now, I have to say it is a favorite of mine. Favorite over any Beatles album? NO!!!

How can you really even compare one album against another? The only way you really could do it would be in the following situation...

Band "A" records a great album (great in the aspect that many enjoy it). Band "B" decides they want to record the same songs and put their interpretation into those songs. Band "C" does the same thing as Band "B". You can not compare Band "B" or "C" to Band "A". Band "A" is the originator and nothing compares to them because they did it first. You could compare Band "B" and Band "C" albums because they are derivative, and attempting to accomplish the same thing, an interpretation of Band "A" album.

Pet Sounds, Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Sgt. Pepper were all trying to accomplish different things. Four albums, four different purposes. None was trying to sound like the other. Brian Wilson has plainly stated that Rubber Soul (American Version) is what influenced him. Paul McCartney has said that Pet Sounds influenced him. They wanted to make something (with their respective bands) that would be more ground breaking than the previous. Brian wasn't trying to do a "new" Rubber Soul, as Paul was not trying to do a "new" Pet Sounds.

Maybe a better way of putting this would be "Which do you prefer?"

Do yourself a favor enjoy each on the own merits. If you don't like one or the other, sit down, un-distracted (with no other noise, book, magazine, telephone, computer, etc.) and listen, maybe with headphones, and figure out why each album is so good. Yeah, figure it out. It make even take some work. You won't regret it.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 06:23:38 PM »

Now, I have to say it is a favorite of mine. Favorite over any Beatles album? NO!!!
How can you really even compare one album against another?

I think you're contradicting yourself here. You can't prefer one album over another without comparing them, right?

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 06:29:49 PM »

Here we go again with comparing...

I agree with much of what Peter Bell says. I don't think you can really compare these albums. I hated Pet Sounds for a long time. I couldn't get through it, until I decided I was going to figure out what was great about it... I got it. Now, I have to say it is a favorite of mine. Favorite over any Beatles album? NO!!!

How can you really even compare one album against another? The only way you really could do it would be in the following situation...

Band "A" records a great album (great in the aspect that many enjoy it). Band "B" decides they want to record the same songs and put their interpretation into those songs. Band "C" does the same thing as Band "B". You can not compare Band "B" or "C" to Band "A". Band "A" is the originator and nothing compares to them because they did it first. You could compare Band "B" and Band "C" albums because they are derivative, and attempting to accomplish the same thing, an interpretation of Band "A" album.

Pet Sounds, Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Sgt. Pepper were all trying to accomplish different things. Four albums, four different purposes. None was trying to sound like the other. Brian Wilson has plainly stated that Rubber Soul (American Version) is what influenced him. Paul McCartney has said that Pet Sounds influenced him. They wanted to make something (with their respective bands) that would be more ground breaking than the previous. Brian wasn't trying to do a "new" Rubber Soul, as Paul was not trying to do a "new" Pet Sounds.

Maybe a better way of putting this would be "Which do you prefer?"

Do yourself a favor enjoy each on the own merits. If you don't like one or the other, sit down, un-distracted (with no other noise, book, magazine, telephone, computer, etc.) and listen, maybe with headphones, and figure out why each album is so good. Yeah, figure it out. It make even take some work. You won't regret it.

I don't see why you can't compare albums, you can acknowledge the inventive merits on one side and judge the final result alone on the other side. Which do you prefer or which do you think is better tend to be the same question.

About music influences that defined the 1960's rock we could also include the Byrds, as Rubber Soul was heavily influenced by their debut record Mr. Tambourine Man, which in turn was influenced by the 12-string guitar used in A Hard Day's Night.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 07:18:08 PM »

I think you're contradicting yourself here. You can't prefer one album over another without comparing them, right?

Interesting question... What I mean is that you feel more comfortable, or enjoy listening. That is different from looking at the artistic merit. For example, I think some of Picasso's paintings are hard to look at. I don't enjoy it. Does that mean that they are no good? I don't think so. Sometimes art that is hard to look at, hear, watch is very good art. Do I think that some other artist's painting is better because I identify or find it easier to look at? No, that is not understanding art. Art is subjective.

A album that is hard to listen to, and maybe not what I identify with, does not mean I think it is no good. Or on the converse, I think one that I do identify with or find easy to listen to is necessarily good, or better than one I don't identify with. Some of it has to do with having an open mind towards art.

As I said, I hated Pet Sounds for years after buying it. I only bought it because Paul McCartney said it was a good album. What Paul McCartney says is good, must be, was my reasoning. I didn't appreciate Pet Sounds. Was it a bad album, because I didn't understand it. I don't think so.

I prefer "such and such" album is lighter. "Such and Such" an album sucks is opinionated and closed minded. I prefer "X" album means I like it and enjoy it over "Z" album.

I don't know if I have made myself any clearer... probably not.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 1.09 seconds with 85 queries.