News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 87590 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Books
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2012, 11:40:57 PM »

HelloGoodbye -- That's one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes!  ;)

If you wear glasses, don't forget to get one of these...

;)
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2012, 08:48:53 PM »

Pure joy.....just received Lincoln Child's latest, The Third Gate. I adore him and Douglas Preston; they write both individually, and they collaborate, and they are just about the only authors I buy in hardcover anymore. I don't think I've ever read a book of theirs (and I've read them ALL) that I could put down for more than a few minutes!

I order their books on Amazon while they are still in production; I ordered this one on June 11, 2011.

It's so great to have a bit of escapism during this stressful time!  :) Unfortunately I am behind on my deadlines, as usual, so I am going to have to force myself to get the work done and not stay up all night reading.  ;)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2012, 11:46:46 PM »

Pure joy.....just received Lincoln Child's latest, The Third Gate. I adore him and Douglas Preston; they write both individually, and they collaborate, and they are just about the only authors I buy in hardcover anymore. I don't think I've ever read a book of theirs (and I've read them ALL) that I could put down for more than a few minutes!

I order their books on Amazon while they are still in production; I ordered this one on June 11, 2011.

It's so great to have a bit of escapism during this stressful time!  :) Unfortunately I am behind on my deadlines, as usual, so I am going to have to force myself to get the work done and not stay up all night reading.  ;)
A good book is a treasure! It is like me and Ben Elton. Read them all and most of them are unputdownable! I remember even skipping a dance class just because I wanted to know what will happen next in the story.

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

KelMar

« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2012, 06:01:31 AM »

Good for you Kathy! I haven't read their books but I've put a lot of them away.  ;) Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by all the books that look good to me when I'm working. It's like being a kid in a candy store.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »

Good for you Kathy! I haven't read their books but I've put a lot of them away.  ;) Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by all the books that look good to me when I'm working. It's like being a kid in a candy store.

I can only imagine, Kelley! I often think I'd love to work either at a library or at a Barnes & Noble, but I know if I ever worked at a bookstore, I'd end up spending my entire paycheck there.   ;D

AppleScruffy96

• Getting Better
  • Love is old Love is new Love is all Love is you <3
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2012, 02:05:18 AM »

Currently reading My Autobiography by Charlie Chaplin, it's very interesting and even poetic in some parts. Next on the list: The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry (naturally).
Happy reading, folks!
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2012, 10:56:45 PM »

Just finishing up a Gothic horror tale called The Little Stranger, by Sarah Waters. It started off slow but has gradually gripped me, and now I can't put it down. Before that I finished Dear Boy (Keith Moon bio), which sat on my shelf for months because it was intimidatingly huge! I couldn't put that down, either -- one of the best biographies I've ever read.

I'm in the mood now for something lighter, though! Kelley, I just found some Elin Hilderbrand books in a used book store today. They didn't have Silver Girl, unfortunately, but I did grab Barefoot. Have you read it?

KelMar

« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2012, 05:09:04 AM »

I'm in the mood now for something lighter, though! Kelley, I just found some Elin Hilderbrand books in a used book store today. They didn't have Silver Girl, unfortunately, but I did grab Barefoot. Have you read it?

Well, Hilderbrand's books are a little on the heavy side, or maybe I should say complicated. She tells a story from many different points of view and it's interesting that way but the first one I read, Castaways, needed a flowchart to keep it all straight. I haven't read Barefoot. It came out just before Castaways. Her latest, Summerland, is downright dark but still a very good story. I think you'll enjoy what you bought.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »

Hm, maybe I should hold off, then. Have you ever read any of Emily Giffin's books (Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Baby Proof, etc.)? I really liked those.

KelMar

« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2012, 02:02:43 AM »

Hm, maybe I should hold off, then. Have you ever read any of Emily Giffin's books (Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Baby Proof, etc.)? I really liked those.

I've seen them but have not read them. Are you on Goodreads Kathy?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2012, 02:44:54 AM »

No, I haven't heard of Goodreads. I assume it's a forum? I'll Google it.  :)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2012, 02:17:47 AM »

Wooo-hooo! My new Preston & Child book just arrived. They are the only authors I buy in hardcover, and I pre-order their joint, and solo, books several months in advance.

party2   party2   party2   party2 

KelMar

« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2012, 04:30:45 AM »

Wooo-hooo! My new Preston & Child book just arrived. They are the only authors I buy in hardcover, and I pre-order their joint, and solo, books several months in advance.

party2   party2   party2   party2

Great to see you wooo-hoooing Kathy! I haven't read their books but I remember seeing them go out a lot. Your post got me thinking that I haven't been reading enough lately. At this new job I don't actually handle the books like I did at the other library. I am mostly working at my computer or trying to sort out issues at the other ones. Enjoy!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »

Kelley, I'm reading Silver Girl, and I can't put it down! Thanks so much for recommending it. I loved the other book I read by Elin Hilderbrand, too, and bought a couple more for the future.

KelMar

« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2013, 07:21:04 AM »

Kelley, I'm reading Silver Girl, and I can't put it down! Thanks so much for recommending it. I loved the other book I read by Elin Hilderbrand, too, and bought a couple more for the future.

I'm glad you like it.

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2013, 03:44:14 AM »

Last one I read was Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, by Philip K Dick. I wanted to read it before re-watching Blade Runner. I like both the book and the movie, they are actually quite different, in a way... I have to say that the Mercer story line confused me a bit, but on the whole I quite liked the book :) Was part-way through 2001 Space Odyssey (the book) when I was given Life of Pi for reading while I am out of the country on secondment, so reading Life of Pi now. Well-written so far :)
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »

Enjoying 'Who I Am' by Pete Townshend.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2013, 11:55:16 AM »

Mine's about to arrive in a few days. Can't wait for it.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2013, 02:14:28 PM »

Pretty interesting so far - my free reading time is very limited, so this could take me weeks to get through - and I have learned a number of new things about Pete and the group. Very worthwhile read, I'd say.

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2013, 08:12:39 PM »

After months of being on a VERY tight budget, I came into a small windfall and -- of course -- headed straight to the bookstore. I had had NO idea Pete was coming out with an autobiography. I couldn't grab the book fast enough! It was one of the greatest surprises of my life.   :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33

Page created in 0.661 seconds with 79 queries.