News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 87591 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Books
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2013, 01:36:36 AM »

Ah...so that's who we have to, um, thank for that one.

Right, at 10:00. I usually watched those in someone else's living room while babysitting.

It was hard to tell when one show ended and the other one started!
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2013, 02:39:06 AM »

The Love Boat and Fantasy Island were the second generation Love American Style.

I watched that one too although I can't imagine how I got away with it at the age I was. It was where we first saw Happy Days. I always associated it with American Graffiti but when I saw this I suddenly remembered:

http://youtu.be/fhFDkatc-e4

KelMar

« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2013, 02:40:48 AM »

It was like the beginning of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer when this took place...

Nancy...
No answer.
Nancy!...
No answer.
NANCY!
No answer.

But I was the same way when a James Bond movie was on.      ;D

You should have tried LIL!  ;)

KelMar

« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2013, 02:43:16 AM »

That's neat, Kelley! I would love to have something tangible from a ship. I do have a piece of Titanic coal, which my ex used to tease me probably came from a mine in Ohio.   :)

Phooey on him! You display that proudly, right next to your piece of concrete from Woodstock! If I find the tag from the blanket you can have it. The blanket itself is long gone.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #164 on: November 30, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »

I actually released two books this year. One with a selection of the best blogs that I wrote the last few years, and one with travel reports.

KelMar

« Reply #165 on: November 30, 2013, 07:44:40 PM »

I actually released two books this year. One with a selection of the best blogs that I wrote the last few years, and one with travel reports.

Congratulations! I didn't realize you were a writer. I'd like to see your blog.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #166 on: November 30, 2013, 09:20:54 PM »

Well done! Can we see? Or is it not in English?

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2013, 09:57:52 PM »

I'm not really a writer, the books were self-released and sold mostly to friends and family. Unfortionately my blog is in Dutch (as are the books).

KelMar

« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »

I'm not really a writer, the books were self-released and sold mostly to friends and family. Unfortionately my blog is in Dutch (as are the books).

That's still really great Joost. I've toyed with the idea of blogging. I've loved to write, ever since I first picked up a pencil!

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #169 on: December 01, 2013, 08:15:17 AM »

That's big news, man. Congratulations!

Reading Haruki Murakami's 'Norwegian Wood' (yes, the name was inspired by the song) right now. Anyone else into this guy?
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2014, 01:35:26 AM »

Yesterday I tossed The Wolf of Wall Street into the trash. I got about three or four chapters in and it was just so repellent I not only stopped reading it, I didn't even want to put it in my stack to donate. Blech.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »

Reading Haruki Murakami's 'Norwegian Wood' (yes, the name was inspired by the song) right now. Anyone else into this guy?

Murakami is a particular fav of mine. Norwegian Wood is probably his "straightest" story. The books of his i keep rereading are The Wind Up Bird Chronicle and Wild Sheep Chase. They're both bizarre with mostly unexplained strange and/or supernatural occurrences. But he writes in a hypnotic fashion that draws you in and ably mixes the generally mundane lifestyle of his protagonists (usually a passive male who likes beer, cooking and jazz) with the weird events they get tangled up in.

He also did an interesting non fiction book on the satin gas attacks in the Tokyo underground (called appropriately "Underground").

KelMar

« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2014, 02:45:47 AM »

Yesterday I tossed The Wolf of Wall Street into the trash. I got about three or four chapters in and it was just so repellent I not only stopped reading it, I didn't even want to put it in my stack to donate. Blech.

I skimmed through the first 7 or 8 pages of it tonight and could see where it might be heading toward repellent. Fortunately I just had to put it back on the pile from whence it came.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2014, 06:11:10 PM »

I skimmed through the first 7 or 8 pages of it tonight and could see where it might be heading toward repellent. Fortunately I just had to put it back on the pile from whence it came.

If your library has it, The Buy Side, by Turney Duff, is a much better book. It seems like a similar story (nonfiction as well) -- an insider's view of Wall Street and all that goes on -- but, unlike Jordan Belfort, Turney Duff comes across as basically a down-to-earth, kind person with a heart and a soul, eminently more relatable and likable than Belfort. Of course, I suppose the worse one behaves, the better book/movie one's story makes, but I still liked Duff's book 'way better. I encourage you to give that one a try if you see it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:13:07 PM by Normandie »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2014, 01:50:26 AM »

Just finished Reconstructing Amelia. It was so good I read the entire book in one day and night. So today I had to get twice as much work done, but it was worth it. The book was so good I could not put it down.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2014, 06:48:04 PM »

Almost finished reading 'Pride and Prejudice' and I know it's considered one of the all-time classics, but I can't say I enjoyed it that much. May be a bit old-fashioned for my taste...
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2014, 06:42:23 AM »

Reading yet another mystery by Arnaldur Indridason. Strange Shores. Does anyone do bleakness and world weariness as well as the Icelanders?

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2014, 09:45:03 AM »

Almost finished reading 'Pride and Prejudice' and I know it's considered one of the all-time classics, but I can't say I enjoyed it that much. May be a bit old-fashioned for my taste...
I find that's the case with most classics with the exception of Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev (a Russian Classic). Frankenstein wasn't bad either.

Reading yet another mystery by Arnaldur Indridason. Strange Shores. Does anyone do bleakness and world weariness as well as the Icelanders?
Dickens?

Just finished Reconstructing Amelia. It was so good I read the entire book in one day and night. So today I had to get twice as much work done, but it was worth it. The book was so good I could not put it down.
I need an unputdownable book to read. What was Reconstructing Amelia all about?

I'm reading Brother Fish by Bryce Courtney. It's ok so far

.... A very quotable post!

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2014, 09:49:22 AM »

Dickens?

I suppose. But he at least always had good tunes.

Oliver! - You've Got To Pick A Pocket Or two

Oliver! - You've Got To Pick A Pocket Or two

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2014, 03:04:33 AM »

And good singers...

Davey Jones as the Artful Dodger on The Ed Sullivan Show, February 1964

Davey Jones on The Ed Sullivan Show 50 years ago tonight, 9 February 1964. 
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33

Page created in 0.737 seconds with 75 queries.