Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Across the Universe Movie  (Read 11734 times)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Across the Universe Movie
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2009, 09:30:07 PM »

i'm not crazy on this movie, not my cup of tea.  :-/

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

fan numero uno

• A Thousand Pages
  • they love me, they love me a lot. they love me....
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2009, 09:34:44 PM »

i thought the movie was ok, but some of the covers drive me crazy! i mean, people hear those songs, and suddenly they're Beatles fans, but those arent the way that the songs were intended to be, necessarily. like one of my friends who's always been a casual Beatles fan is now crazy about some of their songs, but for the cover verisons, not the originals.
Love the Beatles, and all shall be right.                avatar created by freakchic

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2009, 10:11:28 PM »

Quote from: 986

It's a film about a fathe taking custoty of his daughter the soundtrack  has Beatles songs in it and the film has lots of Beatles references in it.

Heres the trailor

[http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EROTbDCr5ag

Thank you very much!

blackmath

• A Beginning
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2009, 12:10:50 PM »

I Am Sam is incomparable with this movie. I Am Sam is just amazing. The acting, the scenes and the plot. Breathtaking. As for the covers, I really can't stand people covering Beatles songs. It's never as good as the original so why bother?

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2009, 01:35:13 PM »

I don`t mind other singers covering the Beatles songs. Another thing is whether I am going to listen to them or not. Actually I always feel pleased when I hear somebody singing one of the songs.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2009, 12:31:01 PM »

I've just picked up a copy of "Across The Universe" in the bargain bin in the supermarket , it only cost 2.99
So i will watch it this weekend and tell you what i think of the film , as i've not seen it .
I  love a bargain and it's the two disc edition (thumbsup)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2009, 05:01:53 PM »

Just got through watching  "Across The Universe" and i must say i quite liked it on the whole , but i do have some quibbles i thought the first 25 mins was a bit to High School Musical especially when Jude got to America , infact i would have cut a good fifteen minutes from the scenes it  kind of Americanized the film a bit to much ?
I think that was a mistake ,  more of the film should have been set in England , they could have come to England to escape Max's draft for a bit , it would have been good to see swinging London  ?
Infact they could have moved around the world a lot more the title suggests that ? i just feel it could have been opend up  more as a film and become more universal , Liverpool ,New York , India , London a bit more of a travelogue more real locations in keeping with some of the songs ?
I liked the visuals quite trippy in places which i liked , especially when Max went for his draft medical , the stripping of the  men down to their underwear and putting them on a conveyor belt and into little boxes was a great visual touch from the female director , it was quite brutal and dehumanizing ?
Loved Joe Cocker he stole the show on the celebrity cameo front , Bono was sh*te  he really is getting on my nerves these days , not sure Eddie Izzard was well cast either as Mr Kite , Johnny Deep would have been better ?
The Let It Be part was very moving got a lump in my throat at that bit and it was very well sang , it made the power of the song stand out ?
Jim Sturgess was very good as Jude nice voice and i liked Lucy and Sadie .
My only other qubbile was the hair on the guys it looked more 90's than 60's and they had some crap wigs at various points ?
But overall i quite liked it and will watch it again , 7 out of 10  (smile)(thumbsup)

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2009, 10:54:31 AM »

Quote from: 706
I Am Sam is incomparable with this movie. I Am Sam is just amazing. The acting, the scenes and the plot. Breathtaking. As for the covers, I really can't stand people covering Beatles songs. It's never as good as the original so why bother?

Even Paul & George liked it not sure if Ringo saw it

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2009, 11:33:11 AM »

Quote from: 706
As for the covers, I really can't stand people covering Beatles songs. It's never as good as the original so why bother?

Depends in what context...there are a lot of lame covers out there. Personally, I do it because, A) I love The Beatles B} Theres a lot of poo covers out there C} I like to get in to the Abbey Road spirit. D} From both a recording and performing perspective, it is a great exercise. :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 59 queries.