Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Microscope: Venus And Mars  (Read 17114 times)

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
Re: Microscope: Venus And Mars
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »

It's what makes the world go around. We all have our opinions...

Let's just make sure that we respect each others.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 10:37:56 PM »

Good to hear from you GO. Glad to see you posting because I fear Bobber gets a little p*ssed with the lack of participation in these threads (I dont understand it either), but I dont want these threads to stop. They are my favorites. It seems that I learn something new in each one of them.
how are you todd!!well,i haven't been anywhere,i still read the threads on a 2 or 3 day basis.i'm not too sure anybody is going to get nimrod to like wings,are they?i'll be interested in reading the comments about 'london town' when bobber does the review.venus and mars is a fair old album i.m.o,not ground breaking or shaking, but a nice album.some of the playing is lovely.just about got the 'classic' line up together,although i feel wings may have worked better live than on vinyl.any thoughts,anybody?
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

nimrod

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 10:45:04 PM »

It's what makes the world go around. We all have our opinions...

Let's just make sure that we respect each others.

very true Gary :)

I normally dont post on these Wings threads but Todds comment'

'because I fear Bobber gets a little p*ssed with the lack of participation in these threads'

induced me to say something in the way of participation, maccafan and Cor wont like it though !!

My feelings are that Im not a fan of solo Beatles work on the whole, I feel Lennon had about 10 very good tracks, Paul the same & George about 8, the rest was decidedly ordinary IMO, I guess the difference for me between John & Paul solo stuff is that I can listen to Johns weak songs whereas Wings Id rather have root canal work than be subjected to it..:)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 12:35:03 AM »

very true Gary :)

I normally dont post on these Wings threads but Todds comment'

'because I fear Bobber gets a little p*ssed with the lack of participation in these threads'

induced me to say something in the way of participation, maccafan and Cor wont like it though !!

My feelings are that Im not a fan of solo Beatles work on the whole, I feel Lennon had about 10 very good tracks, Paul the same & George about 8, the rest was decidedly ordinary IMO, I guess the difference for me between John & Paul solo stuff is that I can listen to Johns weak songs whereas Wings Id rather have root canal work than be subjected to it..:)

Kev, not pointed towards you at all. I know where you stand. Its just that this is a large Beatles forum and I always feel more participation would ensue, but it always seems like the same 20 or so people remark and it kind of baffles me. No biggie.

Bobber

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »

Good to hear from you GO. Glad to see you posting because I fear Bobber gets a little p*ssed with the lack of participation in these threads (I dont understand it either), but I dont want these threads to stop. They are my favorites. It seems that I learn something new in each one of them.

I'm over that. ha2ha  But thanks for the support. As a matter of fact, I like to read your reviews as well.

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 04:12:20 PM »

That reviewer from Rollingstone, sums up everthing I hate about RollingStone magazine!

That magazine has never ever gotten Paul McCartney right, I'm interested to see what they have to say about his new album.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if they are totally trashing it, because that's all they do to Paul McCartney!  He's on the current cover of that magazine, I bet they figure out some way to bash him in the article!

This guy said Band On The Run wasn't great, the album that most of the world thinks is McCartney greatest solo album to this guy isn't great?  The album that just won a Grammy for best historical album isn't great?

It's not my absolute favourite album by McCartney and Wings, but even I know the album is great!

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 05:33:28 PM »

I assume that Rolling Stone magazine review was from the 70s, when the album was originally released? (I know it has a 2001 date at the top but all the old reviews on that site have the wrong date on them).

While I don't agree with some of what the reviewer is saying, it's interesting to get a perspective on the album from back then. That was just 4 years after the Beatles had split up and I suppose people were still expecting either a) the Beatles would get back together, and/or b) their solo albums would be as good as their Beatles output.
We now know that neither of these things was true, but I suppose a reviewer in 1974 couldn't help but compare a solo Beatles album to a band effort from the 60s.

I suppose it's easy to forget that V&M is nearly 40 years old now - if we compare it to music we have heard over the past 40 years it begins to sound very dated. But compare it to what else was around at that time (I'm thinking of Beatle-ish 70s bands such as 10CC or Badfinger) and it isn't too bad at all - it stands up OK as a 1974 pop album.

Some Macca/Wings albums tend to stand the test of time better than others - very little on BOTR sounds dated even today, but McCartney II sounds very much "of its time" so I rarely/never listen to it today.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 06:25:03 PM »

That reviewer from Rollingstone, sums up everthing I hate about RollingStone magazine!

I agree... wholeheartedly.

Jann Wenner is an idiot. The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame is a joke. Oh, I could go on...
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

nimrod

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 01:14:38 AM »

I wasnt expecting you to agree with it maccafan LOL

nimrod

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 01:21:39 AM »

This guy said Band On The Run wasn't great, the album that most of the world thinks is McCartney greatest solo album to this guy isn't great?  The album that just won a Grammy for best historical album isn't great?

so the grammy's are now uno credible but the R & R Hall of fame isnt ?  ha2ha

I agree with the reviewer I think Band On The Run sucks big time, its nonsense imo, maybe Rolling Stone bag Paul's solo stuff because they like serious Rock music not silly love songs, froggy chorus's, titanium men and little lambs and maybe theyre p*ssed off with him like me because he wasted his enormous talent on that kind of kiddywinkle poppy tripe.

I tell you this, they will NOT like Kisses On The Bottom  ha2ha

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 02:28:49 AM »

I agree with the reviewer I think Band On The Run sucks big time, its nonsense imo,

Good lord, your starting to sound like me.  ha2ha

nimrod

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 04:20:11 AM »

PMSL !!

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 06:18:52 AM »

Now there are two complete sour critics here.

Dear Bobber and Dmitry, I quit this forum because there is too much negativity.

Wait... I can't do that. There are a few of us that still actually are Beatles and Solo fans.

Bobber

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 08:26:11 AM »

Dear Bobber and Dmitry, I quit this forum because there is too much negativity.

Wait... I can't do that. There are a few of us that still actually are Beatles and Solo fans.

Just a few Gary. ha2ha

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2012, 08:28:04 AM »

Now lets take a look at your reviews for a moment.

'Everything the Beatles ever did was awesome and they could do no wrong. The End'.

Now how interesting is that?  ha2ha

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »

Now lets take a look at your reviews for a moment.

'Everything the Beatles ever did was awesome and they could do no wrong. The End'.

Now how interesting is that?  ha2ha

I am not here to write reviews. Fortunately, there is more here than just reviews. If this was just a forum of Beatles albums/song reviews that would be boring too.

I like to share information and discover things about the band that I do not know.

nimrod

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 11:26:16 PM »

nothing sour from me Gary, this is a Beatles forum and Im a huge fan of that band, thats why Im here, Im not a fan of Wings, Im not a member of any Wings forums so I dont see anything sour about that ?

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2012, 04:35:56 AM »

I guess I'm just not as discerning a critic as some because V&M is one of my favorite McCartney LPs. I think it's GREAT! IMO, all good/great music doesn't have to be "serious".

I have many fond memories of rocking out with my buddies (and some gals) cruising the strip and listening to V&M on 8-track during my teen years! Man, those were some good times!

The title track, Rock Show, Medicine Jar, the reprise, Magneto & Titanium Man, You Gave Me The Answer (the girls always liked this one), Letting Go, Spirits of Ancient Egypt, and Call Me Back Again are my personal faves with Medicine Jar being my most favorite track.

Man, I'm sorry some of you guys don't like the album. To each his own, I guess, but I know I have certainly derived many hours of pleasure from listening to this LP.   
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »

fab4fan,never be ashamed in any way or feel remotely guilty about liking any of paul's music,v&m is also one of my fave wings albums.it's exactly what you say....the memories etc....and what it means to the individual that is important.music is a moment in time...the music around at the time when you first fell in love,when you first kissed a girl at the school disco,when you bought your first car,anything like that.i go back to pauls' music time and time again because it's warm and it fits. ;D
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.821 seconds with 79 queries.