Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: What About LOVE?  (Read 19183 times)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: What About LOVE?
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2008, 05:18:29 PM »

Ringo Starr collects Grammy for 'Love'

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 10 (UPI) -- Ringo Starr was on hand in Los Angeles Sunday night to collect the Grammy Award for Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for "Love."

"Love" is a Las Vegas show performed by Cirque du Soleil and set to a mash-up of dozens of Beatles tunes -- produced by longtime Beatles record produced George Martin and his son Giles Martin.

"My name is Ringo. A long time ago, we made these records with my good friends John, Paul and George, and (record producer) George Martin was involved then and he and his son Giles are involved again. And they did a great job on this music and with Cirque du Soleil, it turned into a beautiful dream," Starr, standing beside the Martins, told the A-list Grammys crowd, which included former Beatle John Lennon's widow Yoko Ono.

Earlier in the 50th Grammy Awards telecast, Cirque du Soleil and the cast of "Across the Universe" -- a film inspired by Beatles songs -- performed tributes to the iconic British rock band.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Entertainment/2008/02/10/ringo_starr_collects_grammy_for_love/8774/

===

Interesting that Love beat out the "other" Beatles compilation in the running.

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
(Award to the Artist(s) and/or Producer(s) of a majority of the tracks on the album, or to the individual(s) actively responsible for the concept and musical direction and for the selection of artists, songs and producers, as applicable.)

Across The Universe
(Various Artists)
T Bone Burnett, Elliot Goldenthal & Teese Gohl, producers
[Interscope Records]

Dreamgirls
(Beyonc? Knowles, Jennifer Hudson & Anika Noni Rose)
Harvey Mason, Jr., Randy Spendlove, Matt Sullivan & Damon Thomas, producers
[Music World Music/Sony Urban Music/Columbia/Sony Music Soundtrax]

Hairspray
(Various Artists)
Marc Shaiman, producer
[New Line Records]

Love
(The Beatles)
George Martin & Giles Martin, producers
[Apple Records/Capitol Records]

Once
Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova
Glen Hansard, producer
[Canvasback/Columbia/Sony Music Soundtrax]
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2008, 12:23:11 AM »

I was watching the Grammy. Ringo was really funny in the Red Carpet giving copies of Liverpool 8. And Yoko was wearing one of her awful hats. The Cirque du Soleil was a little boring to me, it's not my style of entertainment, but of course the music was great... It was very emotive to listen in 2008 a tape from A Day In The Life. Very moving. :)

Overall, really nice ceremony. My favourite artist there was Alicia Keys. Dear God, that woman looks amazing, and of course his singing is freakingly good. Prince was there too, all in red! Ha! I love Prince!  ;D
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2008, 09:13:28 AM »

Quote from: 713
I was watching the Grammy. Ringo was really funny in the Red Carpet giving copies of Liverpool 8. And Yoko was wearing one of her awful hats. The Cirque du Soleil was a little boring to me, it's not my style of entertainment, but of course the music was great... It was very emotive to listen in 2008 a tape from A Day In The Life. Very moving. :)

Overall, really nice ceremony. My favourite artist there was Alicia Keys. Dear God, that woman looks amazing, and of course his singing is freakingly good. Prince was there too, all in red! Ha! I love Prince!  ;D

I was reading an article tonight about Britney Spears' alleged comments about the Grammys  ::) ::)

Seems Britney Spears gave quite the play-by-play
analysis Sunday night as she watched the Grammy Awards. A source who was with her shared these comments from the troubled star during the 3&#189;-hour broadcast:

Spears also made fun of Ringo Starr -- "Too bad the least talented Beatle was the one who showed up. ... They should have got Paul [McCartney]." But she said she'd "kill for" the hat John Lennon's widow Yoko Ono was wearing.

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/787971,britneygrammy021108.article

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2008, 03:48:09 PM »

This seems like a total low blow. If Britney is watching the show at home, I should hope she can say what she likes! Totally unfair to broadcast it, I think. Unless it's a clever media ploy to make herself look even more ridiculous (the old "any publicity is good publicity" ploy).

Anyway, thanks for the link, JimmyMcCullochFan!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2008, 02:28:52 PM »

I was reading an article tonight about Britney Spears' alleged comments about the Grammys  ::) ::)

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/787971,britneygrammy021108.article[/quote]

you know she needs to just keep her opinions to herself!
and for the hat...well it's Britney Spears.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2008, 07:11:52 AM »

The Vegas-style opening sequence of Love really put me off, but I thought it settled into a decent album after that. Didn't play it much, though.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2008, 02:43:02 AM »

Oh lord, Spears doesn't have 1/4 the talent Ringo as.  That girl is a mess.  You can take the girl out the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out the girl.

Ok sorry, enough of that!

I will be going to see the Love show in vegas this week for my birthday.  I am very excited!  8)
<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »

Quote from: 1204
Oh lord, Spears doesn't have 1/4 the talent Ringo as.  That girl is a mess.  You can take the girl out the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out the girl.

Excellent. She really is an odious person.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »

Quote from: 1204
You can take the girl out the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out the girl.

Well put, actually.

But... there is of course this well known alternate view:  ;D
LWSjUe0FyxQ

Not work safe for those of you who haven't seen it.

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2008, 08:51:51 PM »

wow...sad things people do with their time.
I wish I was old enough to see the show in vegas. but I do love the LOVE album.

Bobber

« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2008, 07:41:28 AM »

Feature-Length Documentary Chronicles The Making Of The Beatles

BlueMeanie

« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »

Excellent. I do hope Larry King's on it!! ??)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2008, 03:48:55 PM »

No, not Larry King! Argh, that would be so tacky!

Okay, now this one's not a book, right? It has pictures that move, right? And sound and that. So I'll probably buy it.

Thanks, Cor!

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2008, 03:24:44 AM »

I saw the show! It was fab  8)
<br />

Sgt. Pepper 45822

• Getting Better
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2008, 04:27:16 AM »

:JEALOUS:
[face=Geneva][size=18]Looking through the bent backed tulips <br />to see how the other half lives.[/size][/face]<br /><br />[img]http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/yeloSub/The%20Beatles%20in%20Yellow%20Submarine

Ged

• A Beginning
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2008, 01:04:38 PM »

There's no doubt that the build up to Get Back with the end drum solo was well put together or that the segue-ing of songs into each other with added bits is brilliant. I've just always thought though that the fade out of A day in the life is crying out for Flying to come in, it's in the right key too.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2008, 09:21:08 PM »

This album is all-in-all, "masterfully" put together.  Only Sir George could have done something so wonderful.  To me, as I stated before, "LOVE" is the Beatles in the 21st century.

ShesCominDownFastYesSheIs

• A Beginning
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2008, 12:30:08 AM »

Quote from: 1255
This album is all-in-all, "masterfully" put together.  Only Sir George could have done something so wonderful.  To me, as I stated before, "LOVE" is the Beatles in the 21st century.

Yeah I thought it was pretty well done too. Kudos to George and Giles Martin for it. It's particularly interesting for those of us who know the songs inside and out to hear and bits and pieces incorporated here and there. It's probably a bizarre thing for a newer listener to be exposed to. But there's a lot of cool stuff on it. Some of my favorite parts:

-Outro on Strawberry Fields Forever

-Hey Bulldog guitar riff incorporated into Lady Madonna

-Outro on Mr. Kite. My jaw literally dropped the first time I heard it. Now that's beautifully orchestrated chaos.

There's other stuff that's cool: Come Together/Dear Prudence , the Get Back intro, Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows. The sound quality is great and the mixes even on songs that aren't "mashed" like A Day in the Life, I am the Walrus and Back in the USSR are interesting. I'm personally very happy with it.

And having not listened to it in a while, I'm gonna throw it on right now.
It's great...it sold...it's the bloody Beatles' White Album, shut up

CleanOldMan

• A Beginning
    • My Last.fm profile
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2008, 06:26:43 AM »

The actual concept of the album is F'in cool.

The mash-ups were what got me interested in the first place, but it's different that the typical remix album. Most remixes are just songs edited to make slower or faster and a bunch of random sound effects and drum loops added on top of them, while the majority of LOVE was prerecorded material, previously used or not. If you've ever listened to the HATE album, that's just one example, although I am guilty of enjoying that one.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2021, 07:51:39 AM »

There is something on the Love album that I can't work out.
On the track Lucy in the sky with diamonds at the final chorus (3 minutes 35 seconds) you can hear brass on the refrain from Paul singing Lucy in the sky with diamonds repeatedly.
This brass wasn't on the original track so I assume it's from a different Beatles track and mashed into this track.
Does anyone know what song it is from.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Page created in 0.625 seconds with 93 queries.