Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best Sections of Songs You Wish Would Have Lasted Longer  (Read 7364 times)

redrockbeatles

• One And One Is Two
Best Sections of Songs You Wish Would Have Lasted Longer
« on: June 11, 2012, 05:17:28 AM »

hey - are there any parts of Beatle's songs you just wished lasted a little longer?  i can think of a handful of times i wished certain riffs or cords just never stopped:
1. "I Want to Tell You" - it's an awesome guitar riff fade-in, with some snare working, and a the piano kicks in, then it changes completely
2. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)" - just an absolute classic rocker, ringo sets a great drum rhythm, the "1,2,3,4" gets us going like "I Saw Her Standing There", and the short solos are awesome. 1 min and 19 seconds of music that really destroys the majority of music that comes out today
3. "Dig It" - again, not even 1 min of music and i love it more than most modern rock. the first 30 seconds is just a great riff with billy on keys and a little guitar, light drumming. wish i could hear them elaborate on that live!
4. "It's All Too Much" - the bass harmonica at 2:13, love it - such an underrated song

You guys have any areas/sections of songs you just wish lasted longer?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: Best Sections of Songs You Wish Would Have Lasted Longer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »

There might be some interesting things in here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=1861.0

redrockbeatles

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 05:17:32 AM »

There might be some interesting things in here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=1861.0

thanks - there was some cool stuff in there

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »

i wish that Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was longer.

same for SFF, it should have some sort of a middle section.

i want to tell you should just repeat like a mantra for the whole album.

;yes
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 02:12:37 AM »

A While Longer...

It Won't Be Long

The Beatles - It Won't Be Long (A While Longer)

I've Just Seen A Face

The Beatles - I've Just Seen A Face (A While Longer)

No Reply

The Beatles - No Reply (A While Longer)

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
I can stay till it's time to go

danielcelano

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 02:11:27 PM »

What about the longer version of I Am the Walrus? Shouldn't it be in mono and stereo where a six-stroke intro, percussion after "I'm Crying" and 4-stroke intermission that leads to "Yellow Matter Custard" are spotted?

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »

I would have liked Georges guitar solo to go on to where the stacato comes in on All You Need is Love. Sounds so weak. I think it could have done better.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »

My wish: Cut off the long tedious ending of "I Want You". Instead, extend the instrumental break in the middle of the song. John, Paul, and Billy Preston kicked some serious butt on that break.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 10:13:48 PM »

On second thought, I wished that Georges guitar was mixed in throughout the whole of Got To Get You Into My Life instead of bringing it into the mix at the very end. Sometimes I think Paulie or George Martin felt his contributions were dispensable.
George seemed to think so by the time LetIit Be came around.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 11:32:37 PM »

On second thought, I wished that Georges guitar was mixed in throughout the whole of Got To Get You Into My Life instead of bringing it into the mix at the very end. Sometimes I think Paulie or George Martin felt his contributions were dispensable.
George seemed to think so by the time LetIit Be came around.

I agree with you about George's guitar bit on GTGYIML.

I've always believed that George got screwed in many ways over the years. Some examples:

George had quite a few lead vocals on the Decca audition tape. After the Beatles were signed by EMI/Parlophone, he was lucky to get one or two tracks per album as the lead singer. True, he was no Paul or John vocally, but some of the criticism he received over the years were a bit harsh. John said George had a limited vocal range. Did he? Was it so limited that he couldn't handle more than a few tracks? Or did John and Paul just hog the vocals because they wrote the songs?

George Martin admitted that there were a few times that he had to "write" some of George's guitar solos ("Michelle", for example). Did Sir George also tell John and Paul what to play?

George was labeled the "Quiet Beatle". More like the "overshadowed" Beatle. When George was able to speak up in group interviews, he often topped John in the humor department. ("She's a millionaire" was one of best.)

Much of George's work from the movie "Help" landed on the cutting room floor.

George was made to look confrontational in "Let It Be". Read the transcript from the scenes that were edited and you'll find that John was quite the bastard during the filming, yet they cut his nasty moments.

In the early years, George's acquiescence probably helped keep the band together. The last thing they needed was a third big ego in the group. But when George stood up for himself, things began to unravel.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 11:43:56 PM »

TomMo,
I agree with you completely about George. I've read that during Rubber Soul george was silently hating Pauls guts for taking over his leads and telling how to play his own. I think he was squashed down a bit with his song writing but early on he wasn't very prolific and probably took a back seat to the other two. When he raised his head in 1967 with his Indian stuff the same thing happened (Not Guilty of trying to steal the day-I only want what I can get).
Mark Twain

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »

TomMo,
I agree with you completely about George. I've read that during Rubber Soul george was silently hating Pauls guts for taking over his leads and telling how to play his own.

I need to review the day-by-day activities of the Beatles in 1965, especially those of George. He looked up to John as the so-called "chief Beatle." But I wonder if he was harboring animosity toward Paul as early as 1965, as well as beginning to hate being a Beatle, in general. There's the two lead guitar solos taken by Paul on the "Help" album, his diminished role in the movie, and Paul's "solo" on "Yesterday", all of which took place in 1965. Were there other things going on during this year that might indicate a change in attitude on George's part?

I've read that their original room assignments on tour used to be Paul/George and John/Ringo. Then it switched to George/John and Paul/Ringo. I wonder when and why this change occurred. It is interesting to note that John/Paul are never mentioned as roommates.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »

Room arrangements interesting. In another posr about when The beatles broke up it was suggested it started with yesterday between John and Paul  but I think the 3rd dynamic with Paul taking over Georges domain in 65 probably set the rot in a little faster. It probably didn't really become serious issue until they stopped touring and had more time on their hands to dwell on these things (IMHO).
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »

I like this thread. As I listen to various CD's I keep finding songs that I think could have been done better and/or longer. "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" should have been fully developed and included ALL Beatles in the production. It could have been a real White Album rocker that the 4 of them would have had a good time recording it, IMHO!
Mark Twain

RubberSol

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 05:24:26 AM »

I always wanted to hear the whole of 'Maggie Mae' :( I like it a lot but it's only about half a minute long.

The ending of 'Strawberry Fields Forever' with the percussion. I wished they could have done something cool other than the Mellotron(?). That's why I like the 'Love' version of the song,(
The Beatles - Love (Album) - Strawberry Fields Forever
) because it adds a lot of bits of other Beatles songs.

I wish 'Golden Slumbers' could've have been expanded more, the whole song is just great. I think the "golden slumbers fill your eyes" part is only sung once, which is a shame because it's genius.
"Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?"
John Lennon

redrockbeatles

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 04:33:06 AM »

My wish: Cut off the long tedious ending of "I Want You". Instead, extend the instrumental break in the middle of the song. John, Paul, and Billy Preston kicked some serious butt on that break.
still love that song and the ending, but i love the middle, funky, jazz section is so great.

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 77 queries.