Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 7 Cavendish Avenue, NW8  (Read 5389 times)

Brynjar

• Getting Better
7 Cavendish Avenue, NW8
« on: October 12, 2008, 05:48:32 PM »

From The Beatles London by Piet Scheuders, Mark Lewisohn and Adam Smith (a book which I highly recommend):

The place to be for any devoted female Beatles fan in the late 1960s - the home of Paul McCartney. While John, George and Ringo all elected to leave the bustle of London and set up homes in the surrounding countryside, Paul was in no hurry to move out. In March 1965, after the others had gone, while still living in the Asher household, Paul bought this three-storey detached from Desmond O Neill, MD, BCH, MRCP, a physician, for 40,000 pounds. More than a year later, in the first week of August 1966, Paul moved in, after he had erected a tall, electonically operated gate with intercom and had other essential refurbishments carried out.
Conveniently placed, with EMI Studios in Abbey Road only five minutes walk away, this was an ideal pre-recording rendezvous for the group, and musical workshop for Paul and John.
Pauls sunhouse at the end of the garden, with its geodesic dome, served as the seventh and last location in the 28 July Mad Day photo session led by Don McCullin.
Later that same year John Kelly came here to shoot Pauls portrait photograph for the White Album package; the "unshaven" look was no accident, Kelly told us, but deliberately affected by Paul.
In April 1969, Linda Eastman (Mrs McCartney by then) took pictures of the group around the house and garden: one of these, with Yoko, decorated the US sleeve of the single The Ballad of John and Yoko.
Paul still owns the house, and although he and Linda spent most of their time in East Sussex from the late 1970s, he began to use it mode frequently again after her death and with second wife Heather.

I didnt know that he still owned the place. Maybe I would have gone there when I went to see Abbey Road. Maybe my only chance to bumb into the man himself.  ;)

They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

glass onion

• Getting Better
Re: 7 Cavendish Avenue, NW8
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 07:36:37 PM »

number 7 cavendish avenue.so much history.........can you imagine what this place must have been like around the white album time?wow.......i tell you i am really mesmerised by this place.i walk down cav.av every time i visit london.just to walk the same route that paul would have taken in the beatles days.......crikey.am i weird or what?
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.