Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Pet Sounds  (Read 11906 times)

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
Re: Pet Sounds
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2004, 10:19:44 AM »

yeah, I thought so too, and The Rolling Stones pc :-)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2004, 06:34:27 PM »

[quote by=Maccalvr link=Blah.pl?b=othermusic,m=1102593025,s=15 date=1103967614]Pet Sounds is certainly NOT better than ANY Beatle album. It's overdone. [/quote]

I wouldn't say it's overdone, but in no way can it compare to any Beatles albums. You have three great songwriters in the Beatles and only one in the Beach Boys. But it's still a great album, the harmonies are great but it's not as catchy as their earlier stuff. I like good lyrics set to a  catchy melody and that's what the Beatles always did.

I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2004, 06:48:02 PM »

[quote by=pc31 link=Blah.pl?b=othermusic,m=1102593025,s=19 date=1103985176]for me i love this album and appreciate that it is in fact as innovative if not more than a couple of beatles albums.
i like it more the half of mccackneys stuff.
the harmonies by the beach boys rivals the beatles......in my opinion.[/quote]

technically the Beach Boys Harmonies are amazing, but for me, I find them over-sickly and a trifle fairytale-esq.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Runforyourlife

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2004, 05:59:12 PM »

I think it's pretty good. I like some of the songs on it, and some I don't. I'm not a big fan of the Beach Boys in any way. I think a lot of the stuff,. particularly the early stuff, sounds soooooooo repetitive. I just don't get it. I realize I'm probably offending some people, but those are my thoughts. I like the album Smile by Brian Wilson far more than Pet Sounds, and still it's not like a Oh-my-God-what-a-work-of-genius album to me. It's just pretty and I like the instrumentation and harmonies. His voice held up well. I don't consider it a very deep piece of work, but nothing by the Beach Boys has ever hit that kind of note for me- not even God Only Knows. That's a pretty song, though.

My fave songs are probably Heroes and Villians, Good Vibrations, California Girls, Don't Worry Baby, and a few others. Those are so pretty.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2004, 11:22:18 PM »

What you said about their stuff not being that deep, I agree. I mean at least it seems that way to me. Kinda fluffy. Not that I've heard all of their stuff though. I'm just not a fan. But I LOVE God Only Knows. It's very pretty. But again, not deep. Just like the thoughts of a teenager type thing.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2005, 10:27:42 PM »

Quote from: Mairi

You have three great songwriters in the Beatles and only one in the Beach Boys.

I have to say three great songwriters and a George Martin. The Beach Boys only had a BRIAN WILSON who wrote, arranged, and produced Pet Sounds. He was only 23 and Pet Sounds was already his 10th album.

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2005, 10:57:58 AM »

Quote from: MagicAlex

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2005, 05:43:28 PM »

I have to admit I didn't understand the brilliance of Pet Sounds right away... I had to hear it a few times before the quarter dropped. But after a while I realized it really is one of the very best albums ever made, I think there isn't even a Beatles album that can top it. And God Only Knows is the best piece of music ever made in human history. Hands down, no doubt about it.

Pet Sounds isn't my favorite Beach Boys album though... I like Sunflower a little bit better.

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2005, 05:50:40 PM »

im not sure if can agree with you when you say that there isnt a Beatle album that can top pet sounds... but your right, its pretty damn good ..

God only knows.... well, i dont think i can find words to describe how great that song is .....:)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2005, 05:51:36 PM »

Quote from: MagicAlex
I have to say three great songwriters and a George Martin. The Beach Boys only had a BRIAN WILSON who wrote, arranged, and produced Pet Sounds. He was only 23 and Pet Sounds was already his 10th album.

That's right. Brian Wilson was John, Paul, George and George Martin combined. He made that album all by himself, the rest of the band was on tour while he was making that album, and they didn't hear the songs until the backing tracks were already finished. And everything (except for the words) that you hear on that album came out of his head. He personally told each musician in the orchestra exactly what to play, he had every single part for every single instrument already in his head. Amazing.

I have the Pet Sounds Sessions boxset which has instrumental and a capella versions of every song, and every song is a listening experience even without the music or without the vocals. So if you combine the music and the vocals, you get an absolutely mind-blowing combination.

I could rant for hours about how f*cking brilliant I think Brian Wilson is. He's definately right up there with Mozart, Bach and Beethoven, no doubt about it.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2005, 05:55:34 PM »

Quote from: Mr_Kite
God only knows.... well, i dont think i can find words to describe how great that song is .....:)

Yeah...

I think you can devide the music lovers in this world in two groups: those who understand that God Only Knows is the best song ever made (or at least in the top 3 - I'll be reasonable), and those who should listen to it a couple more times.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2005, 05:56:22 PM »

The guys a genius no doubt. But for every Good Vibrations there's a Barbara Ann.
don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2005, 05:56:43 PM »

Yeah but that's one amazing album..Beatles provided lots more to sing to.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2005, 05:56:46 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b
The guys a genius no doubt. But for every Good Vibrations there's a Barbara Ann.

Barbara Ann was a cover. :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2005, 05:59:38 PM »

Quote from: Biscuit_Power

And besides that, yeah, he did write a few not-so-good songs, but in 1963, 1964 and 1965 he had to deliver THREE albums of new material PER YEAR. And in those days, and remember he was then 20-22 years old, he was the only songwriter in the group. And on top of that, he also wrote several hits for others as well (most of Jan & Dean's hits, for instance).

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2005, 06:01:02 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b
The guys a genius no doubt. .

he sure is kev.. i cant think off the top of my head a crap BB's song ..

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2005, 06:01:55 PM »

Quote from: Biscuit_Power

oops-I did not know that. Think I'll stick to what i know.
"don't worry baby" is one of my favourite "come home at 4am and play some tunes" songs
don't follow leaders

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2005, 06:02:55 PM »

Can't argue with that Lenny. ;)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2005, 06:05:04 PM »

Quote from: Mr_Kite

he sure is kev.. i cant think off the top of my head a crap BB's song ..

Oh, there are plenty, to be honest. There are quite some forgetable fillers on the first couple of albums, and 90% of the material on all their albums from the late 70's on is terrible.

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2005, 08:36:48 PM »

im sure there are BP, but like i said i cant think off the top of my head.. it seems that you know alot more about the BB's that i do .. so ill take your word for it :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 84 queries.