Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ukulele  (Read 2931 times)

Whoever

• Getting Better
Ukulele
« on: November 17, 2007, 06:43:14 PM »

I am learning the thing. It is quite enjoyable. Any other players?

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: Ukulele
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 06:47:10 PM »

I noodle.

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 01:28:51 AM »

Baritone ukelele was my first instrument. I don't know if that counts, because it's just like a regular guitar without the 2 lowest strings.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 03:20:47 PM »

yes, i have a ukelele, playing it for 2 years now! it's great fun! :D :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:59:11 AM »

My little nephew just got one so i am trying to learn some bits & bobs.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 05:51:01 PM »

I'm a Uke Hero
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 09:56:28 PM »

i play 3 instuments (piano guitar and flue) but no ukulele
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

kopart

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 11:35:15 AM »

Hi all I can tell you where George first played a ukelele. it belong to Farons dad (of Farons Flamingos and they all went back to Farons one night and Farons dad brought out his ukelele and Georges eyes lit up so Farons dad taught George his first chords on a uke.

Too honest that night was so funny and its an untold story of the Beatles and a cure for a toothache and playing to cows. I might tell you one day

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »

Quote from: 1364
Hi all I can tell you where George first played a ukelele. it belong to Farons dad (of Farons Flamingos and they all went back to Farons one night and Farons dad brought out his ukelele and Georges eyes lit up so Farons dad taught George his first chords on a uke.

Too honest that night was so funny and its an untold story of the Beatles and a cure for a toothache and playing to cows. I might tell you one day

kopart ... are you the drummer from Liverpool?

Please please us ... do tell more  :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

kopart

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 07:45:32 PM »

kopart

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 08:03:22 PM »

Yes I am the drummer from Liverpool.. the story.. Faron was with the TTs at the time and they were travelling home and then their drummer wanted to pass water ,they stopped he vanished, next thing they heard him shout, Hey there is a swimming pool here and he jumped in, before Faron could tell him it was an effluent plant an it was sewerage. anyway he got back in the van stinking of you know what.. and they went to Farons where he jumped in the bath and Farons mother washed his clothes, which most them fell apart. Then their was a knock on the door and it was Gerry Marsden and the 3 of the Beatles, so out came the booze, they were their for awhile and Farons dad came in with an awful toothache the poor guy was in agony, John said take two these they will cure it, Faron said no but before he could do anything his dad had downed these pills. his toothache went just like that, Faron said I will kill you John Lennon he had given him two purple hearts and his dad was now high as a kite.
His dad then came in with his ukelele and Georges eyes lit up, and then Farons dad gave George his first lesson on Uke. then five in the morning Farons dad was flying and he led The Beatles out in the cow field opposite playing an accordian John L on guitar George H on ukelele, Faron and Gerry bashing a tin bath like a drum and they marched around the field like a band, and they had about 15 cows walking behind them, and behind them wrapped in a towel Don Farons drummer from The TTs. and that was Georges first time playing a uke.

Arty
Davies ex Farons Flamingos

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 09:07:50 PM »

Great story Arty!  ;D

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 09:56:48 PM »

Quote from: 1364
Yes I am the drummer from Liverpool.. the story.. Faron was with the TTs at the time and they were travelling home and then their drummer wanted to pass water ,they stopped he vanished, next thing they heard him shout, Hey there is a swimming pool here and he jumped in, before Faron could tell him it was an effluent plant an it was sewerage. anyway he got back in the van stinking of you know what.. and they went to Farons where he jumped in the bath and Farons mother washed his clothes, which most them fell apart. Then their was a knock on the door and it was Gerry Marsden and the 3 of the Beatles, so out came the booze, they were their for awhile and Farons dad came in with an awful toothache the poor guy was in agony, John said take two these they will cure it, Faron said no but before he could do anything his dad had downed these pills. his toothache went just like that, Faron said I will kill you John Lennon he had given him two purple hearts and his dad was now high as a kite.
His dad then came in with his ukelele and Georges eyes lit up, and then Farons dad gave George his first lesson on Uke. then five in the morning Farons dad was flying and he led The Beatles out in the cow field opposite playing an accordian John L on guitar George H on ukelele, Faron and Gerry bashing a tin bath like a drum and they marched around the field like a band, and they had about 15 cows walking behind them, and behind them wrapped in a towel Don Farons drummer from The TTs. and that was Georges first time playing a uke.

Arty
Davies ex Farons Flamingos

This is HILARIOUS  ;D ;D , thank you so much for telling this!!! What a time that sounds like, I wish I had been born then and there.

By the way, Arty, did you know Earl Preston and Kay Shepard, were you drumming at that time? Do you still live in Liverpool? Here is a website that Beryl Marsden put together (was she married to Gerry of the Pacemakers?) -

http://www.merseycats.com/index.html , if you didin't know about it I thought maybe it would be some fun for you.

I really am so appreciative of your being here Arty, thank you!!!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 05:50:48 AM »

Cows and purple hearts! Great story. Thanks, Arty.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 06:08:09 AM »

http://www.sheep-entertainment.nl/ukulele/

Here's a nice resource for ukulele players.   A few Beatles songs.  YouTube has quite a few resources too.  

Sonic Blue

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 02:45:22 PM »

I play as well, love my Guitar but love the Uke equally. You may like this site. http://www.beatlesite.info/
The purpose of life is to find out 'Who am I?', 'Why am I here?' and 'Where am I going?
- George Harrison in 1992.

Sonic Blue

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 02:51:11 PM »

You Know You're a Ukulele Player When...

1. You've been faced with the question "Is that a tiny guitar/vintage violin?" before.

2. People assume that you must be a massive George Formby fan even though you'd actually like to give him an (affectionate) slap.

3. You've had to ask for 2 microphones when playing a gig; one for you and one for your uke.

4. You tune using the song "The Holly and the Ivy"

5. When someone excitedly tells you they're getting a Mahalo, you supress the urge to tell them to splash out and get a proper one.

6. You've considered selling your body on the street just to get the money for a Bushman.

7. You're not a Hindu but you do believe in multiple Gods. Eight of them, in fact. The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain.

8. You believe that every song in the world, no matter how legendary, appears feeble when compared to the Ukulele Orchestra's version of it.

9. Baritone, Tenor, Concert, Soprano...size really doesn't matter.

10. You strongly believe in the phrase "Four strings good; six strings bad."
 a meme that's been going around the 'net which you may also like.
The purpose of life is to find out 'Who am I?', 'Why am I here?' and 'Where am I going?
- George Harrison in 1992.

Page created in 1.12 seconds with 83 queries.