Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Scanning Old Photos/Slides  (Read 818 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Scanning Old Photos/Slides
« on: August 25, 2020, 12:50:01 AM »

Seeing Nim and In My Life mentioned this under the picture guessing thread, I was wondering what you found as the best scanning method for photos. I had some old slides done professionally but that gets quite expensive quickly.  Is there a scanner or other method you found worked best?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Scanning Old Photos/Slides
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 01:32:16 AM »

Moog, if you want to scan photos and slides, you'll need a scanner that can scan in Reflective Mode for photos and in Transmission Mode for slides.

I have the EPSON Perfection V850 Pro Scanner which does both beautifully.  It comes with several film holders including a 35 mm slide holder to facilitate the process...

I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 01:36:58 AM »

Gwyneth just used her iPhone.
Scan using the notes app that comes with the phone.
Very good results and easy to do.

Our wedding photos look better than they did in the album ☺️

[
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 01:47:32 AM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 01:49:15 AM »

A good cell phone can scan photos well, Kev, but you'll need a scanner to do slides.  The EPSON scanner can even make positive prints from B&W and color negatives.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 01:59:09 AM »

A good cell phone can scan photos well, Kev, but you'll need a scanner to do slides.  The EPSON scanner can even make positive prints from B&W and color negatives.
We never had any slides Baz.  :(
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 02:23:33 AM »

I have a lot of slides, Kev.  My scanner is in my office so I can scan old X-rays too.  The X-ray equipment I have now is digital so my films are processed directly by computers on my office network.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 02:47:54 AM »

I have a lot of slides, Kev.  My scanner is in my office so I can scan old X-rays too.  The X-ray equipment I have now is digital so my films are processed directly by computers on my office network.

https://youtu.be/uKwdasBsNAI
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 02:49:58 AM »

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 02:53:47 AM »

https://youtu.be/uKwdasBsNAI

Without the vocoder...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfzZYLQM_lI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfzZYLQM_lI</a>

icon_good

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 04:07:22 AM »

Seeing Nim and In My Life mentioned this under the picture guessing thread, I was wondering what you found as the best scanning method for photos. I had some old slides done professionally but that gets quite expensive quickly.  Is there a scanner or other method you found worked best?

I saw this new topic in my email notifications and just had to jump in before I retire for the night. I think the most essential thing for scanning your collection for posterity is choosing the right resolution. I am floored by the amount of detail that’s hiding in those teensy little prints that always used to frustrate me. The proper resolution will bring them out. Also, it will allow you, or someone else later, to get good enlargements. I have an HP 4050. It’s what our wonderful IT guy at the library system picked out for me when our old high end Epson photo scanner died. I liked it so much I bought one for home. It does a great job with slides. Epson does seem to be a favorite among some of the experts I’ve come across online. I do this sort of thing at work to and I have a nice scanning app on my iPad that works great for items that don’t fit on the scanner. But the scanner is still my first choice. This guy has been my guru: https://www.scanyourentirelife.com/ Everything used to be free but he does have a membership option. The last few times I’ve been there to refresh my memory what I’ve wanted has been free. But he has a nice post about what resolution to use, among other essential info.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 07:14:05 AM »

Excellent advice from everyone. (That website looks really good to thanks IML). Thanks a bunch to all. This will be a long term project of course for me.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 11:28:33 AM »

interesting conversation, very timely.  My dad passed away 3 months ago, I was designated between the kids to gather the 10's of thousands (no exaggeration) of slides and transport them to my place to digitize them.

I have a cheap converter that you drop the slide in and press a button, quality loss exists, debating now to go for something better. 

When sitting on the couch with a game on, I plug it into my laptop and convert a few hundred...life and times of a pandemic I guess

So many don't need to be converted, my parents competed internationally in photo contests, my father even ran local camera clubs for years.  I am finding some gems from our childhoods and others worth saving.  Just a long haul going through the boxes and boxes and boxes.

Attached are a couple of images I converted this weekend, one has me and my two brothers fishing behind a local historical grist mill in the town we grew up in, very Americana shot.  Another is the log cabin my grandfather built in the 30's that we grew up going to in the summer.  Lastly is likely from the swiss alps or somewhere, gorgeous shot but do I need to preserve it forever digitally?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 12:46:39 PM »

Nice shots BLM. I think being ruthless enough to decide not everything is worth preserving will be the hard part. But endless non descript shots taken at events/attractions with no personal interest (which a lot of tourist slides are) probably can be consigned to oblivion.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 03:26:48 AM »

May you know no other sorrow, blmeanie.

That converter of yours does a nice job.

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 66 queries.