Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Are We All Crazy?  (Read 18217 times)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
Re: Are We All Crazy?
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 12:17:59 AM »

About "LOVE" and "Naked"--yes, in a sense, it's true that these discs are rehashes of old products, but I must say I loved them. The production for "Naked" was marvelous and I strongly prefer it to the original Phil Spectorized album. (However, I do miss the odd little songs and banter from the old album.)

I wouldn't call "LOVE" a must-own item, but it is intriguing to listen to because of how the Beatle songs are woven together. Maybe it's more fun for Beatle nerds to sit around and pick apart, but some of the remixes done were pleasantly surprising to me.

nowhereman71

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 10:15:58 AM »

I think Apple/EMI do plan to reissue the entire catalogue in 5.1, 10.2 or whatever new-fangled mixing technologies are available.  But why do that when you can make a load of money from the remasters? 

I'm addicted.  Have been since 1982, when I was 11 and got my first record (20 Greatest Hits).  I've got at least 11 copies of Revolver, 9 Sgt. Peppers, 10 Beatles For Sales, etc....the two vinyl singles box sets, the vinyl ep set, the cd versions of the singles and ep sets.  I've got around 400 books.  Have got all the Beatles Monthlies, loads of fan club thingies, period magazines.......and more.  The excuse and justification each time is clear and straightforward....."it's the Beatles!".

I don't need anymore versions of Beatlemusic.  I want them though.   ;D

sregis

• A Beginning
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 03:06:24 PM »

Of course. Anthology and BBC brought us new, previously unreleased material. I'm always eager to have that kind of stuff. Let It Be Naked on the other is not a must in my world. It's a different kind of mix, but more a Paul McCartney revenge than a must. That counts for LOVE even more. I have the cd, but it's collecting dust at the moment. I'm not saying the remasters are bad, on the contrary, but it brings me no song or anything else I haven't heard before.

for me, i'm less interested in new material than i am for the best sounding versions of the music i know so well...and i guess that would be these remasters.  according to friends, even the ripped mp3's are sonically outstanding.  this was the key question in my book, because i no longer own a cd stereo player (and i doubt i'm alone).

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 04:48:17 PM »

Somehow it's strange, isn't it? We are going to buy music we already have and know. Slightly better and remastered and repackaged... But as for me, I'm going to spend over 400 euro's to buy Beatles music. And I already have all Beatles music! Have we all gone nuts? (I have...)

Hmm yeah.. I´m still trying to figure out how I will explain it to my girlfriend.  :)
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

nimrod

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 11:22:14 PM »

I think the powers that be were a bit mean here to us loyal Beatle fans, why didnt they sell 1 box set with both mono & stereo versions and add a few $$$$ to the price, this has been done before with remasters.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 01:19:37 AM »

I wouldn't call "LOVE" a must-own item, but it is intriguing to listen to because of how the Beatle songs are woven together. Maybe it's more fun for Beatle nerds to sit around and pick apart, but some of the remixes done were pleasantly surprising to me.

I agree, Penny Lane.  For me, the novelty wore off very quickly.  I listened to it once.  Now it's up on the shelf gathering dust.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 01:20:50 AM »

I think the powers that be were a bit mean here to us loyal Beatle fans, why didnt they sell 1 box set with both mono & stereo versions and add a few $$$$ to the price, this has been done before with remasters.

Yeah.  They had us figured right.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »

I've got at least 11 copies of Revolver, 9 Sgt. Peppers, 10 Beatles For Sales, etc....the two vinyl singles box sets, the vinyl ep set, the cd versions of the singles and ep sets.
^
Wow!  icon_cool

To answer the question in the title: we are crazy, looking thru non-Beatle glasses.
We'd say: we are just passionate.

I have most of their songs on hard drive - but I just had to buy few of their CD remaster stereo albums (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Pepper, MMT, The White Album, Abbey Road and With The Beatles).
(At the time, I don't have much money to spend - so I invest in Beatles music!)

Then I noticed the 'Revolver' i 'Rubber Soul' - U. S. versions CDs so I'm buying that also (minus the first album mentioned because they don't have it in the store).
The US versions are basically the same albums - but they have less songs than their UK originals, but I just have to have them!

Then, 1+ (de luxe edition), although I have the 1 CD already.

Still thinking to buy 'LiB' i 'LiB Naked.'
Do I have it on the drive? Yes. Do I have the 90s CD issue of it? Yes. So, do I need to buy those two albums on CD? No. But I want to have them!  icon_love

If I had the money, I'd go for the Stereo & Mono Box Set (both CDs & vinyl).  icon_cool
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:02:47 PM by real01 »

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2015, 07:03:36 PM »

The vinyl mono box from 2014 will be my last big Beatles purchase.  Absolutely.  Without a doubt. 

Unless they re-release the Capitol albums on vinyl, and the stereo UK albums in 5.1, and The Hollywood Bowl album on vinyl, and Anthology on Blu-ray, and.....
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2015, 10:19:20 PM »

^

;D

LOVE has even more dust on it today.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 10:36:06 PM »

'Love' (truly awful), 'Let It Be.....Naked' (revisionist and contrived) and 'Songtrack' (why?) all made it to the local charity shop about five years ago.

Compare Dylan releases over a similar time-frame - '65/66 Cutting Edge', 'Basement Tapes - Raw', 'Another Self Portrait' - all absolutely essential.....and weep.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2015, 11:36:29 PM »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2015, 12:19:27 AM »

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2015, 01:01:31 AM »

Love was worth it for the stringed version of While My Guitar.... and the recut version of Strawberry Fields.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2015, 03:56:09 AM »

Love was worth it for the stringed version of While My Guitar.... and the recut version of Strawberry Fields.

Those were good, weren't they now.  I reckon it's time to blow the dust off that CD.

I'm also very fond of the Esher demo of While My Guitar Gently Weeps on Anthology 3, Moog.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2015, 03:57:55 AM »

I like it  ;D

And I like Mr. Moonlight.   ;)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2015, 05:29:14 AM »

I'm also very fond of the Esher demo of While My Guitar Gently Weeps on Anthology 3, Moog.

I liked that too. It's a pity George didn't do more of simple guitar/vocal arrangements. He did them well.  I like his version of Mama You've Been on my Mind for instance.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2016, 10:57:07 AM »

I, too, have bought all Beatles albums more than once.  By the way, how many of you have their singles on 45?  I have a bunch of Paul's solo 45s but I don't think I have one Beatles single any more.  I don't know what happened to a lot of stuff I had when I was a kid.  I had two guitars and a drumset and they're all gone now.  I know what happened to the drums but can't remember where the guitars went.

Also, I've owned BBC for a long time but I've never entirely listened to it.  I guess I want that big sound and those mono performances don't have it.  I need to listen to them though.  It's a goal.

I like the original "Let it be" over "Naked."  I don't know why Paul felt he needed to do that.  I like the Spector stuff.  I never understood why they complained about it.  And John's words are priceless.  Why remove those?  I think his bits were part of getting back to their natural sound.

I do like the way recording technology has advanced so that persuades me to repurchase old music that I already own.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.776 seconds with 82 queries.