Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The "Paul is dead" hoax  (Read 3658 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: The "Paul is dead" hoax
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2005, 01:03:38 AM »

Hey, what about Alanis Morissette? She's the biggest selling solo female artist OF ALL TIME!!!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2005, 01:09:28 AM »

Well, there's not too many female artists around I guess. I mean not throughout history. Nowadays there seems to be more. I'm surprised that honor didn't go to Britanny. I think parents spend more money buying kids what they want nowadays, so all these bands that older people (teens and up) wouldn't give the time of day get a lot of business from the musically uneducated. I think the biggest selling female artist should rightfully be Janis Joplin or Joni Mitchell. They actually had some talent. I know Alanis can sing, but her songs are kind of silly. The whole angry chick thing and all. But what do I know.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2005, 01:14:41 AM »

But she is the biggest selling ever. I know Janis Joplin and Joni Mitchell are more talented than her, but Alanis does have talent.

And regarding the whole angry chick thing- It's always been my belief that women have to be overly agressive if they want to be considered "rock". I mean, if a guy came out and started singing Alanis type songs, he would automatically be rock. But people constantly call Alanis "pop" because she's had some up tempo songs, like Hand in My Pocket.

At least, that's what I think. I hope I don't sound like a Feminazi.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2005, 01:21:33 AM »

You're right about the stigma strong women have, but I meant her lyrics. I think they're kinda contrived. Revenge on boyfriends and all that.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2005, 01:26:04 AM »

Well, I guess that's true in some of her songs, but she writes about other things, too. Religion, her parents, regular life stuff, etc.

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2005, 01:50:04 AM »

She sucks. I'm glad her 15 minutes are up. She's not the best selling female vocalist of all time. 'Jagged Little Pill' probably set a record for female debut album. Other talentless people like Madonna and Mariah Carey have sold way more copies of their junk than Alanis.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2005, 02:06:31 AM »

Nope, it's in the Guinness Book of World Records.

And y'know, just because you don't enjoy her music, doesn't make her talentless.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2005, 02:17:42 AM »

I just looked it up at the Guinness Book website. This is what I found:

Most Sucessful Female Solo Artist
Madonna is the most successful female solo artist, selling 120 million albums as of November 2000. She has had 35 top 10 singles and 12 top 10 albums in the US, with a UK total of 47 top 10 singles and 14 Top 10 albums.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just was curious! Now I'm confused!!!!

here's the link:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2005, 02:21:54 AM »

Here's a list of the Beatles accomplishments!

MOST NO.1 SINGLES ON US CHART
The Beatles have enjoyed the most number one hits on the US singles chart. The group notched up 20 number one hits between 1964 and 1970.... more

MOST US CHART NO. 1 ALBUMS BY A GROUP
The most No. 1 albums in the US chart by a group is 19, by The Beatles. Their chart-topping tally is more than double the number of those held by... more

MOST CONSECUTIVE NO.1 SINGLES IN THE UK CHART
The record for the most consecutive No. 1s in the UK charts is held by The Beatles, who had 11 hits in a row between 1963 and 1966 (from "From... more

MOST CHRISTMAS NO.1 SINGLES IN UK CHART
The Beatles have had four No.1 UK Christmas singles: "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" (1963), "I Feel Fine" (1964), "Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out" (1965),... more

MOST CONSECUTIVE CHRISTMAS NO.1 SINGLES - UK
Both The Beatles and The Spice Girls have had three consecutive Christmas No. 1 singles. The

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2005, 02:22:44 AM »

Hmmm... I guess I was wrong. Then where did I hear that? :-/

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2005, 02:26:49 AM »

Maybe she's the biggest in America? Or Canada? She's Canadian, so maybe they did something like that. Didn't she used to be on You Can't Do That on Television? I used to LOVE that show when I was a kid! With the slime and all. I thought one long haired guy on there was really cute. Of course that was way before Alanis' time.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2005, 02:32:01 AM »

Yeah, that may be it. OH! I read it in Maclean's. So you're probably right about the Canadian thing.

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2005, 02:38:31 AM »

Madonna has officialy sold an estimated 250 million records (albums and singles) world wide, more than any other female artist.

According to the 2005 edition of the Quick Facts about: Guinness Book of World Records
Quick Summary not found for this subjectGuinness Book of World Records, Madonna is the most successful female recording artist of all time.

One Quick Facts about: anagram
An anagram of the letters in "Madonna Louise Ciccone" is "occasional nude income".
Indeed. She is so talentless that she has had to always tried to be controversial to get attention. You can fool alot of people apparantly.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2005, 02:44:54 AM »

Hey, I just looked Alanis up, and she's not as young as I thought. In fact we're not that far apart. Strange I though she was like 22 or something.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2005, 02:47:46 AM »

Yeah, she just got married or enaged or something, recently.

Oh, and Madonna is 47. Scary thought, that is. 47 and still dressing the way she does.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2005, 02:50:33 AM »

And strange she doesn't let her kids watch televison and she sends the girl to some private school where they're real strict and moral. Ironic. I guess now that she's found Kabbalah, she's an upstanding, proper Englishwoman. Blah.

PS
I don't know how to spell Kabalah and am too lazy to look it up.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2005, 02:59:12 AM »

Yeah, it's "Kabbalah." I don't believe she really grasps the concept of Kabbalah. I mean, it is a very ancient, complicated religion. It's not just about wearing a string around your wrist.

Not that I care to know so much about Kabbalah anyways. It's just a Hollywood trend.

BTW, I do like some of Madonna's music. I don't think she's talented, and I don't respect her whatsoever, but I thought I should mention that.

joan was quizzical

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2005, 03:01:55 AM »

Quote from: Mairi
And regarding the whole angry chick thing- It's always been my belief that women have to be overly agressive if they want to be considered "rock" .

Noooooooo please don't think this! I know what you're saying, but think about this: if a chick wants to be considered "rock" and thus acts more macho, tomboyish, masculine, etc... it's just validating the idea that femininity has no place in rock. Lita Ford once said, "I wear my balls on my chest." I thought that was cool until I realized that those kind of statements only admit that you need to define yourself in some masculine terms in order to be taken seriously. You need to work against the hegemony, not strengthen it.

The other side of the coin is that if you aren't aggressive enough, or define yourself by your feminity, you risk the chance of being seen as pansy rock, or not having people (ie. men) take you seriously. Also, you get stupid ridiculous band names like "Panty-Christ" or "the Eyeliners" or some crap. It's a delicate balance that I've seen very few women manage.

Hehe, thanks for listening to me vent.

~ missy

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2005, 03:06:12 AM »

No, that's not what I meant- I was saying that that is the general feeling, not mine.
I agree with the whole feminity thing. It's just that the general public doesn't.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2005, 03:07:47 AM »

Quote from: Mairi

BTW, I do like some of Madonna's music. I don't think she's talented, and I don't respect her whatsoever, but I thought I should mention that.

I like Holiday, Like a Prayer, and Crazy For You. I admit it. But that's about it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 1.007 seconds with 75 queries.